5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, easy setup, outstanding value
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:14 Mins
I've used Linksys products for many years. Overall I've had a good experience with only a few technical support issues. I used several versions of the venerable WRT54G over the course of several years. Most recently I've been using the Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router which had more features than I really needed.

So I...
Published 23 months ago by M. Erb

1.0 out of 5 stars Cisco's
Published 22 months ago by Brandon Nicholas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, easy setup, outstanding value, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Linksys E900 Wireless-N300 Router (E900) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 4:14 Mins

So I was quite happy to receive the E900 which is at the bottom of the heap as far as features are concerned in the lineup of consumer routers by Linksys, but in all other regards, is a worthy wireless router at a very attractive price point.

Installation was a 5-minute affair using the provided setup disc. It walks you through the easy steps to connect and setup your router. About all you have to do other than connect the ethernet cable and power supply is provide a new SSID name if you wish and a different password, if you wish. The setup software actually provides both a SSID and password for you so if you choose to accept the given name and password, you're pretty much good to go. As my installer was completing, it informed me that an update was available for the router and once I accepted that, it proceeded to download and install the update. I didn't have to do a thing.

There is an issue though with the easy setup, and that is that the WIFI router passphrase and router admin password are sharing the same password. This is not secure and you should immediately use the web interface to change the admin passoword to something different.

Now that I've had the router up and running I'm happy to report that the signal throughout my house is strong. Easily as strong as my previous Linksys E4200 and definitely better than the old WRT54G. The router's small size makes it easy to place on my desk and I appreciate that current routers no longer have those ungainly antennas sticking out from the back.

There are no blinking lights on the front face of the router to bother you however beneath each port on the back of the router, LED's do provide assurance that data transfer is taking place and will help for potential troubleshooting in the future.

I've got few if any complaints with this router. It's performance has surprised me and exceeded my expectations. Unless you need the features that a more advanced router will provide such as gigabit ethernet, USB port for networked printer or hard drive, dual-bands, guest access, parental controls, etc, there is no need to spend more on a wireless router. This one will get the job done and won't break the bank in the process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but only after the mystery is solved ;), August 4, 2012
I bought this router from the local walmart, choosing it over the less expensive belkin. Not only did it look cooler, i thought Cisco has a better name as well. The set up was a breeze and I had a wireless connection within 2 mins. But the speed was really really bad. I for sometime thought that it was because my broadband was slow. I was very close to returning this modem and buying the more expensive one, when I came across similar complaints on Amazon. A quick fix exists for this and following a few simple steps increased the speed from .3 MBPS to 20 MBPS. I checked out the following website [..]

These are the steps given on this blog..

Go to [...] and login to your router. If you've never done this, look for instructions that came with your router or do a google search to find the default username and password.
Find a page that has QoS settings. For the E1200, you need to click on "Applications & Gaming" and select the "QoS" sub-menu.
Disable WMM Support.
Click save.

4.0 out of 5 stars (3.5 stars) A solid, basic router, but some should consider something a little more capable, May 11, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
THE QUICK TAKE: The E900 is an easy to use, well-made router suitable for basic routing and wireless needs. It's recently released (2012), so it's the latest evolution of Linksys routers. If you get a good deal on one, and your needs are limited, it may be a good match. Many people, though, can get a lot more router for not too much more than the regular price of this router.

FULL REVIEW:

Apparently making a wireless router that does what it's supposed to do is very difficult, as demonstrated by thousands of reviews of routers on Amazon full of anger, frustration and disappointment.

So the recent Linksys E series of routers are welcome on that count. They're fairly simple to install and use, and work reliably. If your needs are simple - you want a wireless connection, over not too far of a distance - the Linksys E900 may work just fine.

But the bar for speed, features and range is also getting raised all the time. Many people will do better by looking for a router with a few more features and capabilities than the E900 offers.

GOOD SPEED: With 2 transmit and 2 receive antennas (2T2R, in the lingo), this router can achieve N speeds if you have the right adapter on your computer. In theory each antenna can handle 150 Mbps of traffic, thus the spec shows 300 Mbps. In practice, it's much lower speeds - so you're doing very well if you get 50-80 Mbps on a 2.4 Ghz band router.

MODEST RANGE: Router range varies, depending on the transmit power; the antennas; and other factors. This router does best with shorter range applications.

A LITTLE SHORT ON FEATURES: There are some features that are not available on the E900 that, even in a simple setup, you might find will be useful:

- One of those is guest access - now that everyone who visits you is carrying around a wifi device or two, it's nice not to have to give them your network password and access to your shared files. A guest setup lets someone get access to the internet, without having access to everything on your network.

- The other feature is parental controls, which the E900 also lacks.

ATTRACTIVE BUT INFLEXIBLE DESIGN: A lot of people will like the sleek design, and the fact that the lights are in the back (not on the front). Personally, I'd rather have the ability to configure the router in various ways - standing, turned, on its side - and this design limits that. I also like the option of hanging the router, something the design of the E900 doesn't allow.

IT TAKES TWO: Your connection will only be as good as both ends of the connection. Some laptops don't come with the speediest wireless network adapters built in. So to make the most of this or any router, remember that you need a good wireless adapter on the computer the router is connected to. It's usually fairly easy to change the little wireless card in a laptop if you want to upgrade the internal adapter.

In particular, look at the antenna configuration of an adapter or laptop - often you'll see something like 1T2R, or 1x2, which means there's 1 transmit and 2 receive antennas. That will give good download speeds, but slower upload speeds (which may be fine for many people).

LOOK AT THE CHANNEL AND NETWORK SETUP: Some reliable websites suggest that you may actually get more throughput using single-width (20 Mhz wide) channels for wireless N. It may be worth experimenting with. Similarly, it's conventional wisdom that mixing G and N adapters will slow all the devices. That's worth testing with your setup as well.

Some router manufacturers have taken to putting a sticker on the router with the default IP address and username / password, I've found that useful.

Bottom line, it's a nice, simple router that should work well over short distances. You could do a lot worse. But, you could do better, too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cisco's, June 1, 2012
I too had the problem of slow downloading speed when in the wireless mode (the upload was the same for wired and wireless.) So, I followed their software "help" to their site where I looked through their answers. I tried a few of Cisco's suggestions before contacting their "award winning 24/7 customer service." The first lady was rude and unhelpful, she either misinterpreted what I was saying (or knew she couldn't help) and cut me off. The next lady was nice...but after three hours of backache and the problem still not fixed, she called it quits and said I would be hearing from their case management team in three to five days.
After that, I did a google search for the description of my problem "linksys wireless slow download speed" and five minutes later the problem was fixed, thanks "Jim's Blog". It was in the QoS settings of the Applications and Games section where a switch needed to be turned off. I wasted about a total of four hours following Cisco's unhelpful problem solving path, with a backache as a result. Point is, if you have a problem with a Cisco product, don't waste your time with their misleading guidance. Instead, describe your problem in a search engine. Thanks google search and Jim's blog for fixing the problem in about five minutes. I do not know why this possible solution was not in Cisco's database of solutions for the described problem. Their "award winning 24/7 customer service" was completely useless, and they had the nerve to try and up-sell me on a service plan!

--Nicholas

By the way, the link that solved this problem is: [...]
Now, I am happy with this router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Entry Level Router, April 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The N300 is an entry level router, but for most people, it will suffice.

I've used it to replace my ancient Linksys WRT54G, purchased back in 2008. After running a few speed tests I found that the download speed of the N300 was slightly faster, but the upload was twice as fast. Given that I regularly use Dropbox, that's a major upside.

Installation is very straightforward: connected the router to my cable internet modem, popped the installation CD into my Mac, ran the installation program, and after 5 minutes everything was setup. There's one level of customization I would recommend: changing the channel. The default channel for most routers is 1 through 6. I live in an apartment building and there is tons of WiFi floating around, most it on those channels. This can cause interference and disrupt service. I changed the channel to 11 which almost none of the other networks are operating on.

The reason I took a star off was because of the power cable. It's horizontally oriented, and as a result, takes up multiple spaces on a surge protector. You have to wonder if the people who design this stuff ever bother to use the finished product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, May 20, 2012
When I first set this up yesterday, I was surprised about the variability of speeds between our devices (3 laptops, 1 netbook, 2 droids, 2 kindles). I got anything from 0.5Mbs to 15. This was with the default settings. Some pages took forever to load and I wasn't sure if they would load at all. I went online and did some basic research and saw some comments to change the channels or the MTU speed. The MTU speed didn't seem to change much but I didn't try it too much because at the bottom of one comment, I saw a commant about the MMU setting. However, I went and checked and it was enabled. I disabled it and the speed on the netbook went from <1Mbs to over 25. Pages that wouldn't load before, loaded right up. I changed the MTU back to the default Auto and it didn't make a difference. I never did try the channels. I would bet that those that say this is slow have this enabled. Maybe also those that have a complaint of it's range. I am in a 2800 square foot home and get 5 bars throughout from the laptops. Even from the kindles and the Droids the signal only goes down 1 bar.
Ever since then it works great. Will advise if things change.
I took off one star for this being the default and for the power supply being oriented such that it takes up multiple spaces in a power strip.
Here's the thread: [...]

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Wireless Speed, April 26, 2012
The router was very easy to setup and when plugged in directly to the router it was at full speed that was available directly from the cable modem. But connected via the wireless the connection speed was horrible. 20mbps connection via wired, but < 2mbps when connected via wireless on N compatible devices.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 1, 2012 9:22:01 AM PDT
Linksys says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Tim, you may need to adjust some of the router settings to achieve the best possible performance. Have you contacted our tech support for assistance (800) 326-7114? If you have a case number you can provide me, I can have someone follow up with you directly to assist.

1.0 out of 5 stars Interminent cut-outs - AVOID THIS PRODUCT, September 28, 2012
Tough decision on routers as many reviews on most types are mixed at best. This one seemed to have better reviews, but after 3 months of use, I am looking to get rid of it. My kids just told me that Xbox and IPads etc are cutting out of wifi on a regular basis. I noticed too that while watching simple 30 second video clips on Yahoo, my laptop freezes midway through with the wifi needing a ten second break to catch up. Bottom line, don't repeat my mistake.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, its a great no frills router!, April 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Once again, Amazon shipped fast, arrived undamaged, great job amazon. Linksys is a name that is generally thought of as purely router and switches, and purely excellent equipment. I grabbed this router knowing that I was going to get a quality product out of the box, at a great price. I currently have a Airport Extreme Dual band router that is throwing IP addresses at my tivo, my ooma, my macbooks, my ipad, my imac, my ps3, xbox and my Windows gaming pc. It was starting to get bogged down, so I decided that adding another router to the mix would be a good idea. I decided to hook up my tivo and my gaming consoles to this router only. Setup was a breeze (didn't really need a manual or cd, its pretty straightforward). I have noticed now that my gear runs much better, especially my main pc and imac. Its got all the latest bells and whistles with security options (my main concern), so I was good there as well. I would definitely recommend this router for basic setups, like xbox and ps3 only setups. Overall 5 stars! Price to performance ratio warrants it!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent so far, March 27, 2012
Replaced a belkin g router with this. All my problems went away. rock solid so far. Setup is a breeze. I have a mac and the cd makes setup a snap. Took me about 5 minutes. Can't know about how long it will last but a great router so far. I've had one week. bought it at walmart for $39. I would recommend this router.

ARRAY(0x98886510)

Linksys E900 Wireless-N300 Router (E900)
$49.99 $24.28