Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on August 20, 2012
This is the third Linksys router I've owned, and I was pleased with the previous two. However, this router has serious problems. I've spent a total of 11 hours over 3 phone calls/ live chats with Linksys customer support, as well as countless hours troubleshooting on my own, attempting to reconfigure this router numerous times. It will function properly for 2-3 weeks, and transmit data very quickly and securely. But then, out of the blue, the router will stop working and all attempts to reboot, reconfigure, or reinstall the device are not successful. Twice I've had to reinstall firmware onto the router. When contacting Linksys customer support, you have to be routed to an "EA" specialist technician, and neither the regular technical assistants nor "EA certified" assistants have been able to provide a permanent fix for this router. Now, when I rerun the Cisco Connect installation software, the EA2700 can not even be located. The wireless adapters on my laptops fucntion perfectly with other wireless routers, and my modem will successfully connect directly to either laptop via an ethernet cable. Overall I'm very disappointed with both the function and customer support for this router.
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2013
The automated interface creates problems for users that want to configure the device in any environment other than a single router for a single cable-modem. The adhoc (advanced) interface creates odd network problems, even if you are changing simple things like the network name. Linksys used to have the best routers around, it's a shame what's happened to the line after it was purchased by Cisco.
on February 14, 2013
Purchased two of these routers (new) on the same day. Discovered that both routers had "latest firmware" but yet were different as night and day. Contacted Cisco support via chat and was told that one router had Classic Firmware and the other had Linksys Smart WI-FI Firmware. The Lynksys Smart WI-FI was the latest and greatest and so I asked how I could upgrade. After answering a lot of questions, I was told ...

By the way, based on the system your product is no longer entitled to complimentary assistance support but we do have a few options that will allow me to help you with the issue you are calling about. We do have a few support options that we provide to all of our customers.

Prior to that comment, I was told that this model was the latest and greatest and please keep in mind that this service chat took place less than one week after I purchased the units. After some more pressure on my end, I was given a link to were I could upgrade the firmware, so that both units could be the same.

Compared to other routers that I own, these routers have a much shorter wireless range. After experiencing the poor customer support, the issue with different TYPES of firmware installed on units and lack of range, I cannot recommend this unit.
on January 3, 2015
What a POS !!! Right out of the box I was unable to connect to it using the enclosed setup CD. I used my desktop computer to connect to the EA2700 via one of its LAN ports and connected it to my network via the yellow Internet port. After 5 minutes of "Looking for networks" I got a message stating unable to find EA2700. I then switched the network connection from the Internet port to another LAN port...still unable to find the EA2700.

Oh well, must be my desktop. Powered up my laptop and ran the install CD again. My laptop switched from my current wireless access point, a Dlink WAP, to the Linksys EA2700 and the wireless speed jumped up to 144 MBPS.I had48 MBPS with my old Dlink WAP. After about 5 minutes of "looking for networks", I got the same message ...... unable to find EA2700!!!! Really???? My laptop wireless connected automatically to it without any problems, but the installation software could not find it?? This POS is going back today!!

I should of known something wasn't right when none of the bookmarks shortcuts did not work in the PDF user manual.
on July 24, 2012
This router has issues. Only a few days in service before trouble. First off, if you have this router and it's working good, great! NOW --> MAKE SURE you disable Automatic Firmware update! I don't know about you guys, but I only update firmware when something's broken, and as a matter of last resort. I would rather let others discover the bugs in the latest firmware update. (Trust me, you don't want to be the first guy/gal on your block to discover that the latest update has bugs/issues).

-> Automatic update of firmware is enabled by default! Of course, an update was pushed to my unit and I lost the detailed and advanced Linksys settings I'm familiar with, and got a dumbed-down interface to my router instead. Good for some folks maybe - not for me. Going to the support website, locating, downloading and installing the previous firmware version was not fun, and may have introduced more issues to the already-existing ones.

Internet Challenged Router: one of the symptoms/issues from 1st week: -- your router-hosted LAN is running fine -- all PCs are sharing good connectivity -- but no Internet! While your friends are already online gaming, you'll be troubleshooting and cursing. If you can wait a couple hours, the Internet connection may self-heal, or it may not.

Do you enjoy troubleshooting? Do you enjoy unconnecting & reconnecting your router, testing your connection with the router both in and out of the loop? - Checking all your cables? Repeatedly rebooting -- doubting yourself and your networking capabilities to the core, calling your ISP to make sure they are 100% online? ....and in the end, only to discover it really was just your the router the whole time? If that's for you, then so is this unit.

As for me, this unit was an upgrade, so fortunately I have my old router which I just now put back in service, retiring my 45-day-old EA2700. With Internet restored immediately, I came here directly to type this *now*, and with high motivation to share my story at once!

"Guess my old router wasn't so bad after all." That's what I'm saying now. Don't want you to have to join me.

2 stars - because when it's not having issues, it's working fine. ;-)
11 comment4 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on July 24, 2012
I bought this router about four weeks before Cicso decided to upgrade my firmware. Regardless of the privacy policy, or what their intentions are, I was thoroughly upset at the fact that it doesn't seem to provide any additional value or convenience and in fact found the bloated GUI to be more of an inconvenience. Most people willing to spend more than $50 for a router are not going to be your average customer merely looking for an internet connection. I would even go as far to say that most people spending more than $50 for a router and know the difference between a $50 and $100 router will know enough to know how to connect to it from the Internet without going through a "cloud service".

For example, on my old WRT54G router I not only was able to use firmware of my choice (Tomato worked nicely), but I was able to do things like add individual websites (anything from common popup sites to even blocking notre dame's site) to black lists. I have since downgraded the firmware on my EA2700, but will in fact return the router despite being beyond the return date. In fact I will mail it directly to Cisco without asking for my money and purchase a new router from one of their competitors that allow people to use Open Source Firmware on their routers.

It would not have been as bad if they offered it as an optional (or even premium) service. I understand a business' need to cater to the market to generate revenue, but this was an unsolicited service offering that we the consumers did not have the opportunity to opt in. As an IT professional, I understand how easy it is for senior management to get swept up in ongoing trends in the market and the incentives to be innovative, but this offering was dictated. I paid for the router and expect to have complete control of it once I make my purchase. This was the equivalent of forcing someone who purchased a car to use the radio instead of their smart phone to listen to music.

I am thoroughly disappointed in Cisco for this poorly crafted business decision and I will never purchase a conventional Cisco product again.
22 comments4 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi KWat,

We apologize for your recent upgrade experience to Cisco Connect Cloud. We truly respect and value our customers' choice to use the new Cisco Connect Cloud software.

Linksys customers are not required to sign-up for the Cisco Connect Cloud service and they are able to opt-out of signing up for an account.
Cisco Connect Cloud is an optional service that brings additional features to a home network. It is not required to set-up and manage Cisco Linksys EA Series routers. In response to our customers' concerns, we have simplified the process for opting-out of the Cisco Connect Cloud service and have changed the default setting back to traditional router set-up and management.

You may also have the option to rollback your firmware to the old user interface by following the instructions here

If you have additional questions regarding Cisco Cloud and its features you may read here http://blogs.cisco.com/home/update-answering-our-customers-questions-about-cisco-connect-cloud-2/

On behalf of Cisco, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.
on October 12, 2012
I bought this router to replace an old Belkin router that was not performing well. I chose this ea2700 router mainly because it offers gigabit hard wire ports which are useful for transferring large files to and from my NAS server. I live in a small 3 story house and every other router I've owned has provided decent signal on every floor but this ea2700 is by far the worst in terms of coverage and signal strength. To be fair, my problem seems to be primarily with connections to my iphone and ipad. My laptop doesnt seem to be as troublesome, but even static web pages take forever to load or end up freezing unless I'm within 10-15 feet of the router and with no walls between me and the device. Streaming media to these devices is an exercise in futility and i've resorted to turning wifi off when on other floors in the house and using my 3g cell phone data instead. I shouldn't have to do this! I spoke with Cisco tech support who helped me to separate the 2.4 & 5 ghz bands by giving them unique SSID's and designating channels and optimal frequencies. Still no improvement whatsoever. Also tried lower pavket transmission on MTU with no improvement. All symptoms suggest this is just a sub-standard device. Don't know if I can return the unit as I didn't keep the box, but it is utterly useless to me and will be unplugged and replaced. Very disappointing experience!
on August 28, 2012
ISP-Comcast.Modem SB 6121 Purchased this router NEW about 90 days prior, and have had nothing but problems with it lately Firmware:Current Version: 1.0.14.129982. I can't reccomend the cloud service interface, sucks. I am using a tradition user set-up, but the router just will decide to freeze, multiple times throughout the day, requiring manually rebooting through the browser. If you decide to unplug the device, or have a temporary power outage, good-luck, the router becomes possessed and decides that you have to wait for 5 minutes to get a browser to respond, then another few minutes to boot, then you have to unplug all connections to your modem and reboot that. Just a PITA, though, I still ordered another, from their store as a refurb, go figure, can't imagine where they get their supply from...Just to have as a spare in an attempt to keep my sanity, I will keep this review updated as events transpire, but I need the Gigabit for network transfer speed...grr
Oh, yeah, and go under Administration, firmware upgrade and uncheck the auto-upgrade feature.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on July 16, 2012
I would steer clear of this or any other Cisco router.

This is a very pretty router without ugly antennas sticking out. However, those antennas seem to make a big difference in strength. Sitting more than 10 feet away in my house will yield something less than full five bar strength and our microwave seems to disrupt the router, unlike the previous WRT54g.

Also the current non-Cloud firmware seems to have a small bug in that disabling WiFi configurability prohibits the parental controls from allowing the device to have temporary internet access on a WiFi only device. After doing more firmware research on how Cisco apparently felt it was a good idea to upgrade everybody's private router details to the cloud, it is a major question to me what level of support Cisco give the non-Cloud firmware.

I have replaced this router with an Asus RT-n66u which has much better signal strength along with 3 obvious antennas.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Mark,

We are sorry to hear that you replaced the router and the difficulties that you faced with the wireless connection and parental controls.
About your concern on support for non-cloud firmware, Cisco will continue to support both local and cloud management options for our customers.
We appreciate your feedback and hope to serve you again soon.
on October 18, 2012
I have purchased EA2700 wireless router with lot of hopes. I received the product quickly. I installed it successfully and found that the range of the device is extremely poor. I cannot receive the signal more than 10 feet. I tried the device from multiple locations and the range is same. I called the customer service and they created a case number and asked me to call technical support to return the item. I called the technical support team next evening and spent an hour with him reinstalling the firmware and changing the setting. Range was NOT improved a bit, still the same. He realized that the problem is with internal antenna. He spoke to him supervisor and said the product is NOT defective so he could not exchange it. He need to verify my laptop adapter for further testing. I spent an hour with customer service. Horrible service.

This was one of the worst experiences from a customer support person knowing that he is dealing with defective product after all the test. I have created a Return Authorization online and paid $13 for the shipping and send the product back to the warehouse. Big mistake purchasing from cisco homestore. Never purchase from them. Amazon would have been much better.
11 comment6 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse