Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on September 4, 2014
I have always used Linksys routers. My ISP upgraded my Internet service to 60 Mbps and it was time for my old Linksys G router to go. I am an IT professional and work from home a lot. I am not a gamer and don't need an outright speed for my home wireless network. All I need is a stable Internet connection and a stable wireless network. That is why I decided to stay with Linksys. The setup was very easy and self-explanatory. I like the Linksys Smart WiFi way to manage my router and network. I can change security or different router settings remotely.
The range of the router is much better than my old G. We live in a large two story house and the router is downstairs in my office because several years ago the technician for whatever reason installed the cable modem there. This router easily covers the entire house. We barely had any wireless coverage in the master bedroom with the old router. It was on and off. This new router has no issues. Even 50 yards or so from the house my iPhone shows 2 bars. About 100 yards I still have a bar or two and can use the wireless network rather than my data plan. Further than that it loses it.
Not only has great coverage but the speed is great. I consistently hit 64 Mbps down and 4.5 Mbps up throughout the house with my laptop. Even through walls. My iPhone can't reach those speeds which I attribute to power savings or something because the laptop has no issues.
Overall I like this router. Great speed, ease of use and great coverage. It's also smaller than it appears on the picture. I was a bit concerned that it didn't have antennas but the coverage is great and I didn't want to spend over $200 for the top of the line Linksys.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 5, 2014
I did a manual installation through a browser as was the case with other Linksys wireless routers I have installed it was very straight forward. What I like even better with the newer firmware on these routers is it allows you to update/upgrade the firmware from within the router control center, no more downloading a file to the desktop and installing it from there. A lot of people are afraid of the the word refurbished, but this router was less than half the price of retail and it worked great for the friend I installed it for. I have installed five or six of these Linksys refurbished routers (some were different models) and I haven't had a problem with a single one! I highly recommend!
on September 29, 2014
Excellent product. Received it quickly. Set up was relatively simple although I had to use a computer with a CD drive because it comes with a CD that is necessary to set up the wireless network when you first start the router - now I may be wrong about this and maybe there is a work around. I'm only semi-tech savvy and unlike netgear routers which let you just directly go into the router using an IP address (usually 192.168.1.1) and set up wireless, this one wanted me to sign up for some sort of strange "Mylinksys" system which required my name and address. Main interesting thing about that is once you use the install CD to initially set up the router, you can go in through the MyLInksys portal at any time from any where and adjust the settings to the router - probably useful if you have kids and want to limit their internet usage while your at work. I don't have kids.
Otherwise the router works smoothly with no major hiccups so far. INCREDIBLY speedy compared to my extremely old netgear that I think was getting bogged down by the amount of WiFi cross traffic in this new apartment building i moved to. I read that dual band is very useful in settings where there are several routers competing for airspace.
on August 7, 2014
Right out of the box i could get no data throughput for wired devices. I had to factory reset my referb router right out of the box. Maybe this is common knowledge to everyone in the world of routers, but i certainly didn't expect to have to do this to get my just un-boxed hardware to function at all.

I have been battling slow throughput speeds now on wired devices for a couple hours. I have a 25Mb max dwn package, and i am getting a whopping 2-3Mb down with this router inline. Tested on xbox one and with verizon speed test on two different wired endpoints. My old router that this one MIGHT replace never exhibited this behavior.

The router speed test however is showing speeds more inline with what i was expecting... this is disturbing. If you google slow speeds and dropping wifi associated to this router you will get MANY hits. There are many suggestions to "correcting" the drop wifi issue, but i have yet to find one that works for the choked throughput speeds.

Not happy to have to be spending my time to figure out why this router is choking my download speeds. Many of the suggestions online are not helpful and have not been helpful. My expectation was to plug in the router downstream from my cable modem, plug in connected devices change the SSID, give security a pw and go. This has NOT been the case so far.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 28, 2014
I got this refurb for $35. I was hoping it would have better throughput for my block walls. It does this well. The router seems fast, and the smart wifi app/login makes configuring the router simple, even if it is a bit of a nanny. Much better than the interface from all routers even a couple years ago. No lights on the front/top, and you can turn the port lights out too!!! I haven't used the USB port yet.
on December 18, 2014
I bought this thing on a limb because my other router is 5 years old and needs replacing. I figured for $30 if it was crap I could just return it or recycle it without too much lost investment. I've had it for about two weeks.

So far this thing does not disappoint. Since other buyers aren't really doing a complete review, I'll be as complete as I can be.

The range on this router is decent. It's not super high end, but it is definitely higher end, if that makes any sense.

The user interface is the newest one from linksys. Yes, you can control it from your phone and stuff. It's extremely user-friendly. Kid blockers, guest network, external hdd, ftp protocols, it even has network shaping to better your gaming speeds with build in presets for popular games (Blizz games, DotA 2, etc.).

The 2.4 and 5 network bands run simultaneously. I can't figure out if you can disable one or the other, but so far, I haven't really needed to disable either. My printer will only run on a 2.4, and it picks it up. The rest of my devices utilize the 5, and they pick it up flawlessly as well. This router also has a WPN button for even easier wifi setup, if you like that sort of thing.

This router has a USB 2.0 (wish it was 3.0, but I don't think ANY router has that yet) plugin for external storage. You can also run an FTP protocol on it to access your HDD remotely, if you wish.

I have a printer, two phones, a roku, a wifi blu-ray player, 2 computers, and a Wii on running on it. It hasn't dropped signal or needed a restart (yet), which is a huge improvement over my previous router which would drop network at random.

The internet is more responsive and faster. What do I mean by responsive? Things load/initiate faster... much faster. It's nice not having to wait 1 minute before an HD netflix episode loads up, or waiting on that initial "connecting" window for games. On speed tests, the internet is ridiculously fast. I used to get 5mbps download and 0.5 upload. Now, I'm getting 30mbps d/l and 2.5 mbps u/l.

All in all, this router has unlocked the full potential of my internet, and all for a measly $30.
Do you gamble a little bit and risk a faulty router? Yes, but if you take your time and maybe suffer a few returns to get a working one, you won't be disappointed.
on September 14, 2014
Paid $35 for a $139 product - that's a great deal. Typically I don't buy refurbished products, but this one got such good reviews, I took the chance, and it works great for me to turn my att uverse 2wire modem into a dumbmodem and used this Linksys as the gateway for all computers/other devices (Rokus, Wii, printer, tablets).
on January 10, 2015
Works great, especially considering the internal antennas. I mounted this router in the same spot as our previous device, a WRT54GS with 7dB external antennas. The house has considerably better coverage, even in 802.11g mode. Most of our devices support 802.11n/a and the difference from 802.11g was quite noticeable. At a particular speedtest website our ISP provides 108Mbps down and 15Mbps up when directly plugged into the modem - this router achieves identical throughput through the built-in 1Gb ethernet switch.

Wireless results (using same speedtest website) -

Garage Computer: Notebook computer with 802.11g only:
WRT54GS + 7dB external antennas: 2.5Mbps down / 1Mbps up
EA3500: 15Mbps down / 10MBps up
Very noticeable difference in video streaming experience - can watch 720p+ with no buffering which was not previously possible.

Work Computer: Notebook computer with 802.11n:
WRT54GS + 7dB external antennas: 10Mbps down / 3Mbps up
EA3500: 20-35Mbps down / 10-15Mbps up (depending on location within house)
My Samsung Note3 gets similar results as above.

Secondary Media Center: Notebook computer with 802.11n:
WRT54GS + 7dB external antennas: ~3Mbps down / 2MBps up
EA3500: 16MBps down / 11MBps up
on January 3, 2015
Let's start off with the basics - you're getting a refurb (duh.)

First thing you should do is factory reset it. It may look like it was factory reset, however it was not (I fell into this trap). When my unit first arrived, I discovered that it was not broadcasting Wireless-N. Tried everything and had a label ready to go to ship it back to Amazon. Finally, out of desperation, I performed a reset and everything started working.

Now that I have a working router, this unit is amazing. First, it broadcasts with two different radios - one for the 5Ghz range, and another for the 2.4 Ghz range. You can change what technology each of these will broadcast at (I have mine set to Wireless-N and Wireless-G respectively) and a couple other minor tuning modifications. Next, it comes with full gigabit support - perfect for slinging whatever you want over your home network. Finally, the firmware is well-rounded. It comes with a ton of features that people normally buy custom routers which support DD-WRT.

I would buy it again.
on December 23, 2014
I never got to test the performance of this router. I purchased it to attempt to share my laser printer on the local area network. BUT once I installed the Linksys USB sharing application, I discovered that it installed malware on my system. It redirected my home page to "Vosteran" search that pretends to look like Google (my former homepage site) but prompts me to "repair" my computer with questionable applications. This is totally unacceptable. THEN I discover that product support won't provide free support for this device. I got mail to that effect after the agents failed to solve any of the technical issues I encountered. I've been building systems since the mid 1970s. This is about as bad as it gets. Try another vendor.
review image