5.0 out of 5 stars V2: Very good range and performance
Published on December 30, 2011 by LDB

1.0 out of 5 stars External Drive does not work. New Model coming.
I worked with 'expert' technicians for a couple days, when I finally got a knowledgeable person to tell me there is a known bug with external drives on this router. Some drives are not recognized, while others, Seagate included, are recognized, but you can not map the drive from your PCs.

Although this is one of the most powerful wireless routers I have ever...
Published on April 5, 2012 by waytogo

5.0 out of 5 stars V2: Very good range and performance, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Linksys Maximum Performance Dual-Band N900 Router (E4200 v2) (Personal Computers)
I have been operating the V2 for about three weeks now (Firmware version 2.0.26.124551). I've been able to "real-world" compare this router in my home with two other excellent dual band wireless routers: the Asus NT-R56U and the Apple Time Capsule, 3rd Generation. I give the V2 five stars because this router delivers the best consistent range and performance in my "heavy wireless device usage home" than any other router I have owned.

Pros:
Setup: Set up in minutes with the included setup disk--I chose to skip the disk and setup via the browser on my iMac. (Both approaches = 3-4 minutes)
Future Proof: Supports IPv6, dual band 5Ghz/2.4Ghz, supports up to 450 Mbps on the 2.4/5 Ghz band
Powerful: Range and throughput in my house exceeded both the Asus NT-R56U and the Apple Time Capsule 3rd Generation. E.g. 5-7 Mbps vs 25+ Mbs at the most distant areas of my house from the router
Load Testing: Exceeded range and performance ( significantly) of the R56U and the TC 3rd Gen during multiple device/heavy use streaming, gaming, computer, iPad connections in my house
Consistent: I haven't run into any performance issues whatsoever with the e4200 V2 after 3+ weeks of continuous operation
Cisco Connect Express: This is a great app for your iPhone/iPad/Android device to monitor and manage your Cisco Home Network ( Very similar to the Apple Airport Utility app)
Editors Choice: Both CNET and PC Magazine awarded the e4200 V2 their "Editors Choice" 2011

Cons:
Runs very warm: Maybe some will call it "hot"--I haven't experienced any issues yet ( that I know of) but it does run warmer than any other wireless router I have owned
Expensive: The Asus Nt-R56U ( another very fast dual band router) might be a better value especially for smaller spaces ( compared to current V1 or V2 list prices)
450Mbps: According to the recent professional reviews you need a 450MBps capable wireless client to experience the "maximum" range and performance from this router (None of my current wireless devices are 450Mbps capable so the max speed I could get was up to 300 Mbps when in very close proximity to the e4200 V2) So if you don't experience "advertised" performance it may be due to your own wireless clients
5Ghz;short range: The 5Ghz band does not have anywhere near the range of the 2.4ghz band--but I think is the same for most current wireless routers. (If your wireless devices are located more than one or two rooms away from the router use the 2.4Ghz band)

Professional Reviews:
See helpful e4200 V2 professional reviews on:
-cnet.com
-pcmag.com
-smallnetbuilder.com

For those of you looking for settings for your wireless router to maximize your router's performance in a Home environment try these:
Set Security to "WPA2-Personal" and Channel to "Auto" for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Channel Width for the 2.4Ghz band should be set to "20Mhz Only" and 5Ghz should be set to "40Mhz Only". Network mode should be set to "N-Only" for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. **Note: if you have older wireless devices that only use wireless a,b,or g, then set the 2.4Ghz to "mixed" Network Mode else these devices will not connect to the N-Only network.

Update 1/12/2012:
Apparently there is a recently discovered security issue with most routers that offer WPS ( Wi-Fi Protected Setup) to include the e4200 V2. Until a fix is released by the manufacturers, its probably a good idea to frequently monitor your networks "connected devices" for potential unknown/unwanted visitors. You can always restrict access to unwanted devices by enabling Parental Controls under Access Restrictions/Parental Controls/Target Devices

If your e4200 V2 is running too warm, try turning off the port lights on the back of the router under Setup(Tab)/Basic Setup/then scroll down to bottom of page and set Port Lights to off. (I ended up putting something under the router to lift it up about two inches to increase the airflow under the unit--this resulted in a much cooler continuous operating temperature .

Update March 6, 2012:
Firmware Version: 2.0.36.126507
The e4200 V2 has been pretty much a "set it and forget it" experience for me since I set it up. I haven't experienced any operational issues at all and was pleased to discover that the router also has an automated firmware update feature--so I don't even have to worry about making sure my router has the latest firmware since it updates itself. ( I think this is a default setting--but you can check for the same ( or you can turn off this feature) under the main Administration tab: Administration/Firmware Upgrade/then select On-Line Upgrade and then select Upgrade Automatically) From the same menu, you can also use the "Restore Previous Firmware" feature if you experience any issues with any of the new firmware updates.

Update August 3, 2012:
Firmware Ver.2.1.38.138880 Cisco Connect Cloud Firmware
There continue to be a lot of additions to the Cisco wireless home router model line since I purchased my e4200 V2 only 8 months ago. However, and most importantly I am happy to report that my V2 router continues without issue. Even better, I recently upgraded the e4200 V2 firmware to the new Cisco Connect Cloud which in my opinion converts my V2 to the same performance and functionality as the newer EA4500 App-Enabled Cisco Wireless router ( kudos to Cisco for offering this upgrade to existing V2 owners ! ) Note: I had to do a manual update to the Cisco Connect Cloud firmware even though I had my router set to automatic updates. If you are interested in experiencing Connect Cloud on your V2 then be sure to go out to the Cisco's Linksys e4200 support page and download firmware version Ver.2.1.38.138880. There is a little more to this download process then normal to include having to register with the Cisco Cloud Connect service. Once upgraded I think you will really enjoy the new router administration interface. Likewise with the new Cloud Connect app on your smart phone or tablet you can manage your home network in the cloud from other locations without having to be on your home network. Check out Cnet's review of Cisco Connect Cloud service to learn more about current and future capabilities of this new service. Apparently there is a lot more to come with new this new Cloud capability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb so far! Not sure what the fuss is all about, January 10, 2012
I usually don't write reviews but after seeing all the less than favorable posts on this one i had to butt in. This is by far the most robust, no-frills, non-tinkered with router you can use out of the box. Pretty flawless so far. I have 3 Gigabit ports occupied along with 4 WLAN clients. Not to forget a 1 TB passport Hard-disk attached to the router that acts as a media server.
I have always been a fan of DD-WRT firmware. I used the legendary Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router with DD-WRT firmware for over 3 years before I made the upgrade to E4200V2. After using this for about 10 days, I don't even think about not being able to load custom firmware on this one. We've had seamless streaming of High-Def Video, Local File Transfer, Printer sharing between our Windows 7 machines using the HomeGroup setup. I cannot stress this fact enough. Practically zero packet dropping.

Make sure to have separate SSID for the 5 GHZ and the 2.4 GHZ transmission. That way you can connect your high performance 5GHZ capable wireless clients to the correct SSID for maximum performance. You can use my setup as an example as depicted in the screenshot( [..] )

I'll probably give an update after 2 months of usage. Hoping it would be a non-event.

Update:

Sorry I promised a quicker update but here goes. the Router is still fantastic. Never had to RESET even once. The Device count gre to 15 at my place. The new firmware update gave us the ability to disable WPS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Router I ever used, December 22, 2011
This router is worth the cost. Initial setup is so easy. Once connected to internet, you can easily setup to 2.4ghz, 5 GHz and Guest with different user-id and passwords. The security setting is all done automatically and you can easily change it if you want. Make sure to go to admin tab on web to do firmware upgrade. Wireless speed is really fast. Try using the Knowledge base. It has detailed explanations for novice users also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, March 8, 2012
I decided to replace my Linksys WRT610N router (which was having dropouts, especially when streaming Netflix using my Roku box). I also wanted an improved range of coverage.

I first purchased the E4200V1. After purchasing I noticed there was a V2. So why not try it as well before making a final decision??? I bought one, and was able to try both routers, swapping them in and out, trying to decide which to keep.

I could not detect any difference between the two in terms of range of coverage, or transfer rate. However, for sure, both the V1 and V2 were noticably better in range and transfer rate when compared to my WRT610N.

The setup was unbelievably easier than any of the several routers I've owned in the past. It took no more than 5 minutes, and I was up and running... no problems... a relief indeed.

Both the V1 and V2 fixed my Netflix/Roku dropouts. I decided on keeping the V2 (though more expensive) because of it's added capabilities - a desire to future proof my network.

I have 3 computers, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, a Roku, Apple TV, SlingBox, a WEB based Sony TV, and a few other internet connect devices... all hooked up and running seemlessly. I have zero problems. Linksys, you've earned my 2 thumbs up award.

I'm very happy with my E4200V2, and believe it to be one of my better technology purchases of late.

1.0 out of 5 stars External Drive does not work. New Model coming., April 5, 2012

Although this is one of the most powerful wireless routers I have ever used, the buggy firmware and unusable external drive made me return my unit...FYI there is a newer unit coming very soon, the AE4500. You can see it in the Linksys support page on the Linksys.com site. Same functionality as E4200 v.2.

Linksys/Cisco appear to be dropping the price of the E4200v.2 unit on their Cisco shopping site, below Amazon's price, obviously in preparation for the new 'AE' series. Firmware updates are supposed to happen in a couple weeks for AE4500 to fix external drive issues. (a friend of mine found on in a retail outlet and is using it now without the external drive)

Don't buy this one. Wait for new model/fixes.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY poor customer service on broken product, June 26, 2012
David Young (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
After spending over 2 hours and multiple calls with customer service (ha-ha), they informed me that yes, my product was broken after just over a month of use. They would not replace it with a new unit but a refurbished one. I didn't buy a refurbished one, I didn't return a refurbished one, yet this is fair how? I sent my return via UPS confirmed it had been received and after a week of no response from Cisco, I had to call again. They were doing inventory for a week and still had not shipped out my refurbished unit. They had not even begun to process the return. The woman on the phone said that they could upgrade the ground shipping to overnight for the mistake but it would cost me extra! I explained that not only had I already paid for a new unit, was being forced into accepting a refurbished (used) unit but because of their mistake I would have to pay extra to have it corrected. She said it may be another 2 weeks before I received the replacement. Having been without a $150 router for over a month, I am finding that not only do I no longer need the unit, but I definitely don't ever need anything from Cisco again. There are two many other good companies waiting for my business and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Router worth the money, December 14, 2011
I just purchaed this router after returning a Netgear WNDR4500 that had internet connection issues. This router is so easy to setup and configure with the web interface. The only problem was the fact you have to save each page before leaving or the setting will be lost on that page. I was on the web in less than 10 minutes. The FTP server is also a nice feature with a connected USB drive. The signal strength is excelent in all areas of my house with the router in the basement. I had poor signal strength with a D-Link DIR-825 that this router replaced. The unit looks good and runs cooler than other Linksys routers that I have owned. This is definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars E4200-V2, December 24, 2011
I have repalced my e4200v1 with this new model.I have two xboxes and a ps3 connected to it.The new model V-2 when I'm hosting a 18 player game on COD black ops it runs super smooth with no lag at all.THE V-1 had some slowdown during the game while hosting.Both models work well and I can say that the new processor in the V-2 is handling the load with ease,you'll be very happy if you pick one up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Router doesn't provide speeds indicated., January 3, 2013
EDIT - Skip this router and buy the ASUS RT-N66U. I bought it and I get 95-99 mb/s on BOTH channels. Cannot recommend enough.

I bought this router after reading many reviews online regarding the router that could provide the "fastest" wireless signal on the market. I came across this model a few times and its marketed 300 mbps over 2.4 ghz. I knew due to the size of my home the 5 ghz would not likely give me much range and I was correct.

I pay for 100 mbps download speeds and get them when wired directly to my cable modem.

When I put the wireless router into the mix and I wire my computer directly to the wireless router I will get that 100 mbps passed through with no issues.

Turn on wireless and flip my computer over to that and it drops to 52 mbps. This is sitting about 5 feet from the router with nothing between us. Somehow 48% of my bandwidth just goes into a black hole... this is on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz channels.

I worked with support for a couple of hours. They had me tweak a multitude of settings that allowed me to get the speed to 62 mbps over wireless. I was still losing 38% of the bandwidth. I tried every channel available on 2.4 ghz with no luck in getting better then the 62 mbps speeds.

They boast that it will deliver up to 300 mbps over 2.4 ghz and 450 mbps over 5 ghz... It won't.

Towards the end of my support conversation they started trying to blame it on my wireless adapter. I checked and it is rated to support up to 300 mbps as well. I have current drivers on it. Then they flipped to saying I needed to upgrade my firmware for the router. It was the latest version available. As a last resort they tried to interest me in buying the e6500 as that would certainly deliver the speeds I require. (NO THANKS)

Another note - With the 2.4 ghz delivering 62 mbps when I was sitting right next to it the strength when I was in my home office was about 3 mbps downloads. The router showed 3 out of 5 bars for signal but was only delivering 3mbps when starting with 62 mbps. I have since plugged in my old router which is not capable of handling 100 mbps but is sending 39 mbps to my office with no issues from the same spot this one could only send 3 mbps.

Avoid this router at all costs. I have returned this one and have ordered a ASUS RT-N66U with the hopes it does the job better.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars DHCP issues., January 1, 2012
This unit seems pretty good at first but on looking at the Web interface I noticed that it was using multiple mac addresses for the same device and showing devices on the lan on the Wireless side and other odd things.
After a week of running it the home server network started to get erratic, it would seem to all point to dns and dhcp issues in the router.
Seems the V1 had the same issues that they did not fix on this.
I put my Netgear back on in the E4200s place and addressing is correct now, after having to setup the network again.
The Cisco connect software shows 5 devices the Web based utility shows 3??.
Its pretty bad that they charge nearly $200 and cannot be bothered to finish the unit or address the issues that were in V1.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 12, 2012 4:22:51 PM PST
Thank you for your feedback. I posted your issue to our user forum where super-users can offer tips and trouble-shooting here:

In addition, I encourage you to contact support 24/7 at (800) 326-7114 so they can get more details and improve your router's performance. I hope that helps, thanks.

Rate and Discover Movies