4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance
My house was prewired with CAT5 throughout however the Ethernet outlet in the office was across the room from the router and I did not want to string wire under the carpet to reach it. I had seen these network power line adapters before but was hesitant to buy them as some customers had expressed difficulties going across circuit breakers and electrical subpanels. I...
Published on April 28, 2012 by CM

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to do (with a few issues)
I bought this setup for my bedroom which has a weak wireless signal. The Linksys Powerline was very easy to set up, and I was up and running within 10 minutes of plugging the devices into the outlets. However, I experienced 2 issues which were deal breakers and forced me to return the product:

1. The Powerline apparently creates some noise/interference in the...
Published 24 months ago by Derrick

‹ Previous | 1 2 384 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Fastest HomePlug Adapter On The Market, July 29, 2013
Joshua (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This adapter set is currently the only HomePlugAV2 standard product currently out (all the others are HomePlugAV, the older standard). In addition to being HomePlugAV2, what's nice about this product is that the two adapters automatically connect when plugged in. With the older ones you had to manually pair them. Also noteworthy is that the powerline utility for these adapters actually works unlike the other two I've tried (Linksys 200 Mbps and TP-Link 500 Gbps) that would never actually detect the adapter. Another thing I noticed with these adapters is that the plug is grounded. I've never seen that on any other HomePlug device. Also rest assured, the Ethernet interface on these adapters is 1000BASE-T, unlike some of them (i.e. Actiontec 500 Gbps) that pass themselves off as Gigabit yet only have a 100BASE-T Ethernet interface. Finally I've noticed that the speed indicator light on these adapters has consistently been green, whereas the older ones would always fluctuate between green and orange, so these seem to make a better connection than the older HomePlugAV. At $120 a pop these are definitely a little more pricey than the older models but if you want the best that Powerline Networking has to offer these seem to be it. (Note: These can be purchased cheaper for $119.99 plus shipping directly from the Linksys Store)

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works!, February 8, 2012
I plugged each adapter into power outlets in different rooms on different floors and the product worked immediately with no setup. It literally took one minute to connect the adapters to my wireless N router and to my PS3 and Dish Network receiver on another floor. The speed was solid enough to stream on-demand content, but I have not performed speed tests yet. Granted, I have only used this product for one day thus far, but so far it operates as advertised. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly everything was up and running. Will update this review should any problems arise in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup fast connection., April 27, 2012
Wireless is slow in my room on the 3rd floor of the house so I got this. Setup was very easy. Just plugged in and it worked. Now Internet is really fast via this + ethernet.

BEFORE: WIFI:
Ping: 54ms D: 0.95 mb/s U:0.47 mb/s

AFTER: POWERLINE:
PING: 15ms D: 4.4 mb/s U: 0.7 mb/s

So it's over 3x faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Linksys Powerline AV Wireless Network Extender (PLWK400) (Personal Computers)
I was having marginal wifi coverage in the far end of my house from my wireless router. I tried amplified antennas and they helped but were still marginal. With this extender, I not only get a full 5 bars of wireless, but also get a high speed wired connection to my Roku box for streaming video. I wish I had found this before wasting my money on the amplified antennas.

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious Fatal Flaw, November 23, 2012
Installed easily, functioned briefly. The main issue was that I could no longer connect to my networked PS3. I contacted Linksys and we quickly determined an IP conflict. I was then told and this is a direct quote from the Live Chat support

from Jeffrey (18183) to All Participants:
I am very sorry for the inconvenience but we need it to be on the same circuit breaker for it to communicate. It is a product limitation.

I explained that modern houses have dozens of circuit breakers and nowhere on the packing was this limitation mentioned. Apologies and reaffirmation that I was screwed.

Sorry but this is a non existant solution unless you want to extend your connection from one side of the room to another!

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection no better than standard HomePlug AV adapter, September 26, 2013
As a third-time user of HomePlug products (Logitech, TP-Link, now Linksys) I expected this AV2 standard to be slightly better at holding a connection, or possibly higher connection speeds.

Unfortunately this adapter provided neither in comparison to a standard 500MBPS TP-Link adapter. The only benefit I saw was slightly lower latency times, about 4-5ms.

Overall, for less than half the cost, a TP-Link AV HomePlug Powerline adapter provided a connection which was comparable, and even slightly faster, than this adapter.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Solution, Marred by Poor User Experience, January 5, 2013
lem0nayde (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I live in a one-floor apartment and my Wi-Fi would not reach from my living room to the furthest bedrooms. All of my rooms are on the same circuit breaker, so this product was a good potential solution for me.

I'll start by saying that when the product works, it is really fantastic. I couldn't believe the speeds I got in my bedrooms after installing this product. The product has solved my WiFi range issue.

So, why only 3 stars then? Well, I bought two of these sets and one of them had a defective unit. The problem is, Cisco's setup documentation and online support are so poor that I had no way of deducing that the product was defective. So, I spent hours reading and re-reading their lousy instructions, pushing the needlessly confusing buttons on the units, trying them out in every power source to figure out why they'd only sometimes work. I thought I was doing something wrong, or that my powerlines were not compatible. Finally, after much deduction, I realized that I just had a bum unit.

Had Cisco (or Linksys') documentation and unit controls been clearer and more obvious, I would have known right away that it was a problem with the unit. If I had known that, it would have taken me literally 10 minutes to set these up and it would have seemed borderline miraculous. Sadly, the documentation and site support are so information-poor and unfriendly to end users, I can't recommend the product whole-heartedly.

Thankfully, Amazon has a great return policy and I was refunded within days. I kept the working unit and I'm enjoying great WiFi in my bedrooms now. Hopefully it lasts, because I desperately do NOT want to have to go back to that support site again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Gaming!, January 2, 2013
When I first started looking for ways to improve my Internet connection, I was worried I was going to be forced to run CAT5 cable throughout the house; which, if you've hired an electrician in the past, you know why I wanted to avoid this at ALL COST! I had two primary locations where I wanted to install these: one 4-port connector next to my home theater system and the other next to my iMac in the bedroom (located too far from the router to maintain a reliable connection). The home theater consists of an app-enabled TV, PS3 and Xbox: all three require a strong Internet connection.

Mind you, I am an avid gamer and realize that not everyone is, but wifi was ruining my experience with online gaming. An inconsistent connection such as wifi, which fluctuates by the second, could mean the difference between you taking down your opponent or vise-versa. This system instantaneously resolved all lag issues and it literally took 2 minutes to install. It took longer to walk from one room to the next to plug in the second adapter than it did for the system to provide a connection... No software needed! Just plug and play!

The only con that I could think of is the lack of availability of a single adapter for expansion. In order to add to this system, you must buy another kit that includes 2 adapters. Not a big deal however; I'll think of another spot for the 4th adapter.

All in all, if you are looking for a seamless way to strengthen your Internet connection to bandwidth hungry devices or just simply want to hard wire that old device that doesn't have wifi built in... LOOK NO FURTHER and BUY this!

5.0 out of 5 stars These devices work well but the information you get about them is really confusing, March 9, 2014
kenw (California) - See all my reviews
First - Linksys or Cisco have three products with very similar names.

I think these are the three versions:
1/ Box containing two different devices - one plugs into the wall AC and your router. The other plugs into the wall somewhere more remote in your house and then you wire it to your computer
Amazon have this kit as the PLEK 400
2/ Box containing two different devices - one plugs into the wall and into your router - the other plugs into the wall AC in some more remote area and had four Ethernet outlets which you can wire connect four device you want to access the web
Amazon call this kit PLSK 400
3/ Box containing two different devices - one plugs into the wall and your router - the other plugs into the wall in some remote area and has one Ethernet output - so you can wire directly to a computer - but it also is a wireless device that can set up a new wireless network for you.
This is the kit Amazon call PLWK 400

All the user reviews seem to mix all these products together so it is pretty confusing.

I bought the PLWK 400 as you then have the option of trying out the wireless extender and if that does not work, drop back to using a wire.

The installation instructions are bizarre. I'm sure you will be extremely confused by them. Best to ignore them completely! Just plug the device labeled PLE 400 into the wall by your router, and use the CAT cable to connect it to one of the spare Ethernet sockets on your router. Next go somewhere else in your house and plug the PLW 400 into a wall outlet. Connect your computer with a CAT cable to the socket on the PLW 400 - Done.

If you want to try the wireless function - Make sure your wireless router has a "WPS" button - I never realized mine did. After setting up the PLE 400, take the PLW 400 and plug it into a wall power outlet somewhere near your wireless router. Wait a bit - then press the "see saw double arrow" button on its side so a light starts flashing - go straight away to your router and press the WPS button for 1/2 sec.

Then take the PLW 400 to a remote area, plug it into the wall AC and it will soon act as a new wireless router - except it will have the same name and the same password as the original. Seems too good to be true!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works flawless, September 7, 2013
I read some other reviews of different Powerline kits that didn't work well or at all if they were on a different power circuit. These two powerline AV2 units installed in seconds without any issues whatsoever. I have a 3 level home, modem is in the basement where I have one unit plugged into a 6 plug power adapter with my modem router and other electrical components and the second is on the top floor bedroom in another 6 plug power adapter with all my pc equipment and anoter router plugged in. The conection established in seconds and I get the same network speed as if I were plugged directly into the modem router (aprox 25mbps). I have the second unit connected to a router for my 2 pc's and printer. Works excellent and definitely worth the extra cost. Did exactly what I wanted it to and surpassed my expectations. You won't be dissapointed with these powerline av units.

‹ Previous | 1 2 384 | Next ›