Most helpful positive review
384 of 398 people found the following review helpful
Excellent But You must UNDERSTAND the setup
on July 14, 2012
1. The CD did not come of much use. It was not connecting to the Extender. Period. Then I called them and got help from a GREAT technician with Linksys
2. The Concept
You obviously have a wireless router. This must sync with the Extender. Let's say you just plug in the extender. Windows Wireless refresh will pick up the extender, but will do nothing beyond that. Since this is not connected to the main router yet, it will not even give you internet. Again the extender must be made to sync with the main router in ALL respects.
3. Simply connect the extender to the lap top computer using an ethernet cable. Put the extender close by in a power outlet and turn it on i.e. until the CSCO stops blinking and stays lit.
4. From the windows refresh wireless networks, choose the extender ( it always shows up)
5. Try to open an internet browser. IT will not work, since the extender does not connect to the internet.
6. It will ask you for user and pw. type in admin in user id and admin in pw
7. this will open the web interface for the extender.
8. Now you have to sync with the router.
9. Go under wireless and click on the main router SSID and click Connect. This will ask you for the router password. Once you put that in your are done.
10. Disconnect the ethernet cables.
11. Again choose the referesh wireless networks. Now you will not see the extender. You will see the main router. However since the extender is synced with the router, you can now move the extender somewhere midway between poor and good reception.
The main thing now. My iphone started dropping the signals and I had to reconnect each time with the password. Since I knew the CONCEPT, i went back to the web interface of the main router and checked the TYPE of pass phrase. It was WEP2 Personal. IT does not matter which one, but must the same in the extender. Just putting the pw is not enough. It must be the same TYPE.
So in the main router, I verified the DHCP Reservation to check the RE1000 (extender. Check its IP address.
Open a browser and type in this IP address of the RE 1000
type in admin for user id and admin for pw
- Go to Basic Wireless Settings
- Go to Manual
In Security Mode, choose the same TYPE of Security Mode as in the main router.
Of course put in the same Passphrase as in the main router.
If not the extender will drop your devices and you will have to reenter the password.
I have all the bars working now in our 5000 sq ft house and even gets WIfi on the deck with 2 bars and 1 bar even when I go to the Stop sign and the end of the road.
FYI : Disclaimer : I am just a computer lay person. I wrote this to help people like me. Maybe if you have better computers it will work like they say i.e. just plug in and it will work. The problem, we make so many changes to our wireless routers over the years etc that you will have to do some work.