5.0 out of 5 stars you must read this
RE2000 (Linksys Wireless Range Extender N300 Dual Band)
Published 17 months ago by Big Dad

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Has Fatal Flaw (NOW CORRECTED)
Published 18 months ago by Mark V Shumeyko

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Has Fatal Flaw (NOW CORRECTED), June 16, 2013
This review is from: Linksys RE2000 Wireless Range Extender N300 Dual Band (Personal Computers)
I recently purchased two of these so I could extend both the 2.4ghz and 4.8ghz networks of my dual band Linksys router. The CD assisted auto setup did not work the first couple of times but eventually I got both set up. The manual Ethernet setup is actually very easy as an alternate setup method. The extenders worked great for the first day, seamlessly extending the networks. However, after one day one of the units began flashing an irregular pattern, stopped sending an identifiable signal, and was inaccessible via Ethernet or wireless. I returned it via RMA to the seller (not Amazon although I am a frequent Amazon customer). Yesterday the second RE2000 developed the exact same problem after 10 days of use. I have found other users on the Linksys customer forum who have had the same issue with their units. There is obviously a problem and I would advise readers not to purchase this product until the problem is solved.

FOLLOW UP ON PROBLEM RESOLUTION: Now 10 days after the above review I would like to add that I have worked with the Linksys engineers over the phone and in the end they have confirmed that there is a batch of RE200's that have been sold with defective chips. They recommend that anyone with these faulty units return them to the seller but if that is not possible they will take them back. I received and set up the unit and it is working perfectly, giving me full home coverage of my 5.8ghz network with 300mb/s speed. Also, the Linksys engineers were extremely knowledgeable, helpful and courteous in my dealings with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars you must read this, June 27, 2013
RE2000 (Linksys Wireless Range Extender N300 Dual Band)
Don't let the reviews fool you. This product works great. The thing you have to understand when setting this up, is that it uses your main wireless routers ssid to resend it's signal. In other words it's the same name no ext or any other name. So as you move around your home you will switch to the better signal without noticing, at least when pairing with a linksys router. I am not sure if same applies to all brands. The set up CD is not very good. I recommend connecting to the r2000 with ethernet cable from a computer and using the r2000, ( 198.168.1.1), address to set up your connection manually. After you have done this power cycle your router and r2000. Hope this helps I almost returned the product until I figure this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for me!, September 21, 2013
W. Zwissler (Bloomington, IN) - See all my reviews
I have the Linksys 4500 router and comcast with download speed a consistent 50. My new Samsung UN65F8000 65-Inch was not connecting to the internet in my basement, so I got this extender despite all the bad reviews. Would not configure using the disc and laptop as recommended, so just pushed the automatic button on it and the button on my router, and works perfectly. TV links to internet immediately, and everything in the basement had a much better signal. I set it up near the router and moved it to the bottom of the basement stairs, within sight of the TV. Only odd thing is that anything using the extender for signal does not show up on the linksys cisco connect software. The extender does, but nothing attached to it does, even though the devices will show they are connected to my home network. So far, so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far It's Great, September 14, 2013
Easy set up and it boosted the signal in my upstairs from 2 bars on my PC to 5 max. Just pop the CD into a PC and follow the instructions. The PC you use must have a WiFi connection. You cannot configure and install the extender from a desk top that is hard wired to the internet. (There may be a way to do this if yur an IT person but the CD calls for a WiFi connection)

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work & Sketchy Customer Service, October 11, 2013
First off I have to say that Linksys customer service is terrible and I am now questioning their honesty. I tried posting this same review on Linksys.com a few weeks ago, but they did not publicly display it. I am guessing it is because I gave the product a 1 star and looking at the product page today they only display 5 star ratings, VERY SKETCHY!!! To say the least I will never buy another Linksys or Cisco product again because of their integrity issues. On to my review...I bought this wireless extender from Best Buy a couple months ago and proceeded to install it using the CD. It took many, many tries of repeatedly going through the installation to finally get it to recognize and find the extender. Then it worked for a few hours and the light started flashing. That's it, I tried reinstalling, resetting and it never worked again. Contacted Linksys support and after an hour troubleshooting they told me to return it to them for a replacement. It gets even better, I tried going through their RMA process to return it and they want ME to pay the return shipping cost on the defective product that never worked and was bought a month ago. That is simply ridiculous and I have had it with them. Like I said I am permanently done with all Linksys and Cisco products. There are plenty of better hardware providers out there that also have decent customer service and are honest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked For a Week, September 18, 2013
Installed easily and worked for about a week before it quit - blinking light problem. I reset it and tried to re-install it using the original installation disk. It wouldn't communicate with the laptop I had originally used to install it. Amazon was kind enough to give me a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product sucks, August 9, 2013
Bought from Linksys website. Have gone through 2 of these, none ever worked. Tech support is lousy! Spent 2.5 hours before they would give me an RMA. Last one seemed to accept configuration then would lockup. Done playing with this POS. Cisco should be ashamed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer clear, September 19, 2013
As many others have stated, you may want to steer clear of this device. Setup *can* be easy, by using the installation software that comes with the device. It can also be complicated, especially if your router is using IP address 192.168.1.1. If it is, this device will also try using that address out of the box and create a conflict.

Manual setup is possible, and in my case, worked fine. I had it up and running for about a week, and it performed pretty well.

Unfortunately, during a home inspection when selling my home, someone unplugged the device from the wall. Normally, one would plug the device back in, wait for reboot, and viola. In this case, no. The device powered up only to go into a non-stop reboot loop. Blinking green lights, no ability to access it manually or otherwise. Pretty much a brick. This thing is going back and I will be finding another solution.

Terrible product.

For as complicated as setup can be, I would expect that performance would be rock solid. This is not the case with this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sort of does what it says but not...., September 5, 2013
I ordered this device directly from the Linksys store to use as a range extender for my Linksys E3000 router which sits in the basement of my house. Out of the box the CD installation was pretty useless and did not work. Lucky for me that I had researched enough prior to the purchase and was able to follow instructions to do it manually as posted by other users. The device is only stable in its connectivity to the base router when it is in the same room. The moment I move it out to another room or another floor the connectivity between the base and the device is very flaky with a lot of dropped packets and poor speed and signal strength. When I connect my laptop wirelessly to the base router I get an upload/download speed of 58Mbps/32Mbps but when connected through the device it does not go above 15Mbps/6Mbps in the same exact location, i.e., 2 feet away from the base router. I even disconnected the laptop from the network and used a LAN cable to connect my laptop to the device and placed the device two feet away from the base device and the max speed I could get was 20 Mbps/7Mbps.

When I moved the device to the first floor and took my laptop to the second floor the speed drops to 7Mbps/4Mbps with a lot of dropped packets. So I decided to return the device. I've decided to run a cable from the base router to the first floor and use another router instead to get better performance.

Customer Service: The customer service provided by Linksys is one of the worst. I sent them an email to ask for an RMA number and return instructions and received an email in return asking me to contact tech support who may be able to help me.

I responded back to them that I was not interested in speaking with their technical support folks (which I believe is worse) where folks have spent two and three hours on the phone only to realize that tech support was unable to fix their problem. A day later I got another email saying that we tried to contact you on your home number to discuss the case and provided a number to call back.

Tried calling back on the number they sent in the email - first time waited 25 minutes and hung up, next time 15 minutes and hung up and the third time 12 minutes and hung up. Between listening to music and this guy announcing that press 1 to leave a message, I decided to leave a message only to be told that the mailbox is full.

What crappy service! I just regret my decision and should have stuck with Amazon and but got sucked by the 10% discount that Linksys was giving on their website for some back to school sale.

Still waiting to hear back to return the device, regretting every bit of the experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, August 25, 2013
awesum (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I was finally able to configure it per the instructions but no device was able to link to it. As the other opinions have stated this product does not work. I tried to reset it to factory but was unable to all the lights did was just blink. I contacted technical assistance for help but they weren't able to help me. I finally had to return it.

Linksys RE2000 Wireless Range Extender N300 Dual Band