5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value - Why Would You Want a New One?
With a refurbished product, you know that it has been evaluated and functions to the manufacturer's specifications. With a new version, the likelihood that there are minor flaws to the product's aesthetics is higher, however you may end up with a defective/DOA unit.

Published on January 10, 2011 by Jordan Feinstein

3.0 out of 5 stars "Minor" Cosmetic Blemish
Beware. Their definition of "minor cosmetic blemishes" probably will differ greatly from yours. It does from mine. The top of the router I received is pretty beat up.

Published on January 4, 2011 by Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value - Why Would You Want a New One?, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Linksys Refurbished E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router (Electronics)

The E2000's throughput and performance outpace that of the E3000 (more expensive) and provide most of the same features. Even though this model isn't capable of multicasting 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time, isolating the unit to 802.11N clients only and connecting to a Gigabit desktop for network storage is blazingly fast. I have our cable modem plugged into the E2000, several newer "N" devices connected at 2.4GHz wirelessly, one desktop computer via Gigabit Ethernet and an Airport Extreme (b/g capable - looks like a UFO with a port from the E2000 plugged into its WAN port) in G-only mode for the older wireless clients in the house. I wanted to keep our WDS network alive with AirTunes on an Airport Express (b/g version) in our home theater, so I chose another wireless network name for the Airport devices.

Once I figured out that confusing setup, the execution was a breeze. People complain about the functions of this router being split between the Cisco setup CD/program and the root IP's web-based interface, but after the initial selections (router name and a few other items that won't ever need to be changed) with the CD there is really no need to re-run it. The main items unavailable on the web interface are Parental Controls (not an issue in my situation, at least) and Guest Access (in my opinion, not a great idea for home networking).

Bottom line: this product is fast and does what it is supposed to. I don't need a "full-featured" router that does a poor job as a Network Attached Storage device, or access to a USB printer when my multi-function device would be crippled to printing only in that configuration. I wanted a good quality 802.11n-capable router with gigabit ethernet and got exactly what I was looking for...

in a factory-tested device at an unbeatable price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid performance, Great value !!, March 27, 2011
Firstly , As and other reviewer already pointed out, buying a refurbished makes a lot of sense, specially if they come with some warranty. In most cases, in my limited experience, you have to be really unlucky to get a refurbished product that is bad - specially when it comes to electronics.

Some useful buying advice :
1) The router supports 2.4 GHz as well as 5 GHz frequency settings, and both work fine.
2) The router works well with VPN. I use it regularly without any hangs or lagging issue.
3) I live in a 1000 sq feet apartment, and always see Signals Strength as "Excellent"
4) No overheating whatsoever, with heavy usage, and 5 devices connected.
5) Very stable, with no need for frequent resets.
5) Refurbished router come with a 90-days Cisco warranty. That combined with the excellent amazon return policy makes this a great deal.
6) Cisco Connect software that comes bundled with the router is very user friendly, and setup was a breeze.
7) If your cordless phone has interference issues with the router, solving the channel using advance settings solves the issue.
8) Work great with Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services. I stream using a roku box.

A great performer for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless router, January 29, 2011
I went through 3 routers trying to find one that would connect to my two laptops and stream Netflix to my Wii. I finally found it with this one. blazing fast wireless streaming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for Wireless 2.4Ghz N with Gigabit ports, April 12, 2011
The G side of the E2000 works almost as well as my old G router (Linksys WRT54G) in testing (low 20s Mbps). I was hoping that it would work better (newer, faster, etc.) but that was not to be in my case. It did seem as if E2000 bounced around more from 3 to 5 bars where the old WRT54G would be 4 but mostly 5 bars.

The 2.4Ghz N side got me low 60s Mbps (mid 70s to an AE1000). For comparison I get in the low 90Mbps on my wired 100Mbps connections. So this is a nice boost in speed without the need to drag wires throughout the house (which is frowned upon by my wife).

The 5Ghz N side got me up to the low 80s Mbps (again, to an AE1000 USB N refurbished adapter). I have to select if I want to use 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz with the E2000 and since I still have G and non 5Ghz N adapters, that pretty much means the 5Ghz is useless to me. However, 2.4Ghz N with 4 gigabit ports for under fifty dollars is a great deal and I can still get up to a rated 300Mbps (true is 80s Mbps).

A couple of things I learned while testing (your mileage may vary):
1. Changing from Mixed to Only-G or Only-N got me about 15% more throughput (from 2 to 7 additional Mbps).
2. Using Auto to select channels got me more stable signal strength and speed than manually selecting some channel (e.g. 1, 6, 9, 11, etc.). In other words, Auto did seem to pick a good channel (so don't just choose 9 because the cisco/linksys tech support said to).
3. If windows reports 270Mbps or 300Mbps it doesn't necessarily mean that the actual throughput will be faster. I couldn't get up t0 300Mbps to I contacted tech support and they had me select channel 9 (and a few other changes) and viola, it showed 300Mbps. However, when I tested the actual speed, it was not measurably faster (and performance bounced around a lot).
4. Turn off the guest account using cisco connect before making any changes using the web interface or you have to start over and reset your router to be able to turn off the guest account (yes, others mentioned this and I didn't pay attention).
5. Set security mode to wpa2(personal)/AES for max speed and security
6. Refurbished didn't seem to be a problem (so far).
7. Living in the suburbs means I don't have channel congestion (my neighbors show 1 bar on the various channels), so 5Ghz is not as critical. My wireless phone system is 5.8Ghz so it does not conflict. Microwave and garage opener have never seemed to be a problem when running.
8. Fewer bars (say 3 instead of 5) doesn't necessarily result in slower speeds - so it is not as big a concern as I originally expected (I measured speeds using Ixia QCheck - which is free to download).

3.0 out of 5 stars "Minor" Cosmetic Blemish, January 4, 2011

I gave it three stars because they do say it may be cosmetically blemished. But honestly, I've had routers I've used for a long time not look as bad as this thing. If you don't care at all about the physical appearance then this will probably be ok for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Router. Ever., February 26, 2011
I anticipated some cosmetic blemishes, as this is a refurbished product and I work for a company that sells other kinds of refurbs, so I know the drill.

What I got was almost good as new. Yeah it has some smudge marks on the top of it, but whatever. I could probably buff those out easily enough, but I put the thing out of sight behind my TV. No one sees it, so I was fully prepared for the ugliest thing ever, and I still wouldn't care.

I plugged my cable modem into it, and then since my computer is in wired range (girlfriends laptop runs wirelessly) plugged my computer into the router.

Didn't bother using the CD*. 192.168.1.1 works just fine. Got in, set up the wireless in a few seconds and then adjusted some port forwarding. It took less than two full minutes to configure this router, including refresh times.

It has now been almost one month since I received this router. Not one single issue. Not once have we lost connectivity on the laptop, much less my desktop. Can't really ask for more than that on standard firmware and less than two minutes of setup time.

Note* I have a lot of experience with routers. I've set up far more complex ones that have functioned far worse.

If you aren't 100% comfortable setting up routers, I'd say this is by far the best bet.
We have one desktop, wired. One laptop, wireless. Two phones, wireless.
Zero connectivity issues.

Refurbished just means they fixed whatever was previously wrong with it. Wish more people understood that. You can save so much money this way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Linksys E2000, February 20, 2012
The E2000 is a good product that was very easy to install, as long as the computer that was being used had the proper program. I initially tried it on my older computer and it would not work, even after I down loaded the updated program in the computer as instructed on the cd. There was no written information regarding the use of the product. The cd would not play on the old computer. There should have been more info as to what is needed in order for this thing to work. By using a newer computer the installation was a snap. There was not enough information in your ad regarding what is required for your product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good !, January 31, 2012
Before i received the meeting request, i was a little apprehensive, since it was a refurbished item.
But, it has given me no problems.

Some points that i can mentions here -

1. I do not have to switch it on and off, to keep it running
2. I have no problems with the routing speed (it keeps up the cable speed)
3. NO problems with 4 devices connected - 2 mobiles, 2 laptops

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Router*****, April 29, 2011
I received this router about a week ago and it is replacing a Linksys WRT54GS router. The reason I needed to upgrade is that I have a device called Nettalk (similar to Magic Jack) which allows you to replace you landline with with VOIP. But found out that there was no way to actually assign a specific IP address and the WRT54GS does not support DHCP reservation. After a bit of research I found that the E2000 not only supports DHCP reservation but also is one of the best performing routers out there.

After reading others reviews I decided that reconditioned was a more economical way to go. So far I have been delightfully impressed! It is extremely easy to setup and the web interface is very similar to the WRT54GS. I don't have a device with "N" yet but look forward to trying that out.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase, so if you are considering buying one just do it!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished? Yeh, Right!, October 12, 2012
I don't see how they can say this was refurbished. The router's DC jack was loose, and the power supply could not maintain power, so the router kept rebooting. There was no way to secure it, so not sure how, or if it was tested before it got put back in its box and label as *Refurbished*. A lot of work went into somebody packaging the unit, me buying it, them shipping it, me opening and testing it, me re-packing it and shipping it, them receiving it and re-funding my money. All that useless activity could have been avoided if the unit was properly *Refurbished*. What a waste of time. I subsequently bought a refurbished E2500 directly from Cisco, and it works great. So if you want a refurbished unit, just go directly to the Cisco site.

Linksys Refurbished E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router