4.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit for the money.
This new WAP from Cisco / Linksys is smaller and easier to install than previous models, and is a great price for a dual band B/G/N WAP.
The range seems pretty good too, but we've noticed that there can be a huge difference with signal reception, depending on the quality of internal wireless antennae in certain laptops and netbooks.
e.g. At one of our...
Published on December 16, 2009 by Integrity Electronics USA

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this item (WAP610N)
I purchased a couple of these WAP610N access points for clients based on Linksys/Cisco reputation. I made the mistake of not checking the Linksys support forums first. Big Mistake.

Published on January 12, 2011 by Charles Orton

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this item (WAP610N), January 12, 2011
This review is from: Linksys WAP610N Wireless-N Access Point with Dual-Band (Personal Computers)

This product with current firmware (as of 01/12/2011) simply does not work as advertised. There are many documented problems with connectivity, rebooting under load, inability to pass DHCP packets properly, and static IP addressing in the 10.x.x.x range to allow me to provide a positive recommendation for this product. Cisco and Linksys should be ashamed to have released such a buggy product. Calling them on the phone is a complete waste of time, and posting in their on-line support forums (along with the other unfortunate WAP610N owners) is also futile, because Cisco/Linksys will not even acknowledge the issues (but they are quick to edit your forum postings if you say something that they do not like).

Consequently I have no other options but to return the WAP610N units for refunds and to make others aware of the potential problem with this device. The most current firmware for this device was released about 9 months ago in March of 2010.

Linksys - I've learned my lesson. No more Linksys or Cisco gear for my business or for my clients. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit for the money., December 16, 2009
e.g. At one of our customers' home: Her new PC netbook and laptop had 'Good' reception (3 out of 5 bars), while my Apple MacBookPro had 'Excellent' reception from the same location. The WAP was broadcasting plenty of signal.
Her two computers just couldn't receive all the signal, because of poor internal wireless antennae. So if you buy this product, and the range seems weak, don't assume it's the WAP.
Also, make sure you select 'Wireless-N Only' mode, if ALL your computers have newer 802.11n cards.
This will speed up your connection.
If you don't have N cards, then leave the setting in 'Mixed' mode, otherwise your B and G cards won't receive any signal.

Hope this helps.
Integrity Electronics USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, November 1, 2009
I have a complicated network. In addition our space can only be covered with two access points. It was very easy to configure two of these units so that they work in sync so that when you switch from one access point to the other, the switch is seamless and transparent to the user.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfectly but I understand the negativity (updated), February 11, 2011
After reading some of the negative reviews I must say I became a little worried. Even though I'm a psychologist I do have an IT background and I got this access point up and running in about 5 minutes then connected to my switch across the house in 1 minute. End result = 2 months of perfect wireless on the dead side of the house with absolutely no drops. I would encourage the non-computer folk to request the help of a computer minded friend to set this thing up. I can only assume some of the negative reviews are due to the initial install being incorrect for one reason or another. Don't worry about this review as I'm not a fan boy of Linksys in any form or fashion and I do admit they have hardware issues (i.e. you manufacture over seas and you'll have the occasional dead device). Unfortunately all of these companies have the over seas manufacturing issue. If you get a dead device don't lose your temper. Linksys customer support works at an above average level and if you have patience + willing to put in the time to get a new device = you get a new device in 1 to 2 weeks.

I'll ding the reliability rating to a 4/5 because it's a Linksys product and will probably only last 2 or 3 years. I have no data for this but I'd be willing to say that 1/1000 devices will arrive dead. Probably doesn't seem like a lot but given how many are sold you'll get your angry folks leaving bad reviews at a good rate and for good reason. If you got two dead devices in a row then please flame away as you earned it. In conclusion I think most of you will be fine with this product.

Update on 6/21/2011
Buggers, the device needs to be reset once a week. It also runs fairly hot which may be part of the problem. I'm ok resetting it once a week but if it goes to once a day you'll see me drop the star rating.

Update on 4/22/2013
Stopped working without being reset every day. Changing to 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dual Band WAP. (It's not a simultaneous Dual Band WAP though), November 10, 2009
cpyao (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I have this configured as a 2.4Ghz Wireless-G Access Point at my place. It works great, I haven't had any issues with it. The one downside to this WAP610N (and also their WET610N)is that it takes a long time for it to reboot itself once you've made changes in the settings and save them, but it's not that big of a deal though. Also, I thought that this was a Simultaneous Dual Band (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz) like the WRT610N Router, but it's not. It's either or, I guess I should have read the specs a little better, but I still would have purchased it anyway. I guess they did that for a reason since I just bought a second one today so I can run that one as a 5Ghz Wireless-N Access Point. I've only been using it for a week but I haven't had any issues with it at all, it's a great WAP.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate, April 4, 2010
I initially purchased this device to replace a failed WAP54G. I have a gigabit home network. I was unable to determine through this web site description, the Linksys web site, and tech specs that the Ethernet port is only fast Ethernet no gigabit. So, then the wireless N is kind of superflous.

Why but at an inflated price for dual band when it only has 100mps ethernet. Now I know why the spec is not posted anywhere, product does not make sense. Do not buy if you want full N wirless speeds to a gigabit network. I returned the product for refund. Try the Netgear WN802T-200, but that doesn't have the dual band.

Maybe time to wait for a better product.

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETE JUNK, March 13, 2012
beakt (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I have had the exact same experience as many others here. I have bought three of these units, and they're not cheap--you can get a nice wireless router for half the cost. I figured these would be excellent performers for the money. Instead, I got something that was obviously engineered and programmed by amateurs. The wireless signal fails regularly, and it's a different "fix" every time. Sometimes rebooting the device works, sometimes I have to change the channel or do other things to just fiddle with it.

I have worked with wireless networking since the beginning, and have never dealt with any device that was remotely as unreliable as this.

As others have mentioned, if you assign it a 10.x.x.x address, it does not save the default gateway, so if I try to access it from a different subnet, I can't. I have to remote into a workstation on the same subnet to access the web interface to fix it when the wireless signal goes out.

There is nothing in the web interface to view what devices are associated with it. For this price for just an access point, I would expect at least that!

Shame on you, Cisco and Linksys, for suckering me in with your brand name. It's the last time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the Price, January 23, 2012
Drops the Internet at least once a week. The only fix is to cycle the power. Upgraded to the latest firmware...same problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very very bad access point, January 15, 2012
Its unbelievable that Cisco-Linksys have attached their name to this POS...very low range, reboots, tried many different things but it simple is a failure product.

Do not buy this product even if its price drops to $50 in the future...unless Cisco acknowledges the issue (which they haven't done for over a year) and update the firmware to fix so many issues, this product is waste of time and money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly Unstable, October 7, 2011
GPlutus (Sammamish, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This was the worst access point I have ever purchased. I'm in the IT industry and spend much time working with this type of technology. The features were reasonable and interface easy to navigate. But the intermittent connectivity was just too much. I'd recommend you stay away from this device.

Rate and Discover Movies