5.0 out of 5 stars Wow.
Based on the reviews, I was a little hesitant buying this to interwork with my Netgear R6300 ac router but it's been fantastic so far.

Set up was a breeze--just hit the wps button on both devices and it was registered in seconds. Never had to crack the manual.

Published 18 months ago by Chuck Bennett

Published 18 months ago by David Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., January 13, 2013
This review is from: Linksys Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector (WUMC710) (Personal Computers)

But the throughput! That's the real news. I've gone from 0.5Mbps to 14Mbps streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime, which is is fast as my broadband can go according to speedtest.net.

This is in a large house, with the router and media connector at extreme opposite ends of the house on different floors with a lot of angles and walls between.

I've downloaded some tools to determine the true throughput, which is surely much higher than 14 Mbps since this is ac. I'll update when I have some numbers.

In a nutshell, I'm impressed.

Update: I'm getting 1170Mbps my internal network on the three devices I have plugged into the WUMC710.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drops connection to wireless network to EA6500 often and requires power cycle, January 12, 2013
Initial configuration and setup was simple with Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Unit functioned perfectly for a few hours and then lost connectivity to the wireless network. My wireless router is a Linksys EA6500 with a vanilla configuration that works well with multiple devices (tablets, smartphones, laptops) throughout the house. A power cycle of the WUMC710 restored connectivity to the wireless network for a few hours (4ish) until it dropped connection again.

Downstream equipment is just an XBox360. WUMC710 is ~15 feet from EA6500 router. I had an ethernet cable run across the floor between the XBox and the router previously that worked perfectly for years, but a wireless bridge seemed like a more elegant solution - and it is for a few hours after each power reset of the device.

There is no doubt that the issue is in the firmware of the WUMC710. There are LOTS of other complaints from users reporting the exact same issue. Linksys/Cisco have not released any firmware updates for the WUMC710 beyond the v1.0 firmware that it shipped with.

Troubleshooting that I have completed:
- Factory reset and reconfigure
- Manually setup wifi configuration through web interface on device
- Configure static IP address on device to verify issue isn't related to DHCP issues like lease expiration/renewal
- Remove all downstream devices
- Wait until WUMC710 bridge drops connection and then reset EA6500 router to see if it will restart connection (it does not)

All of the responses that I have seen to this issue from Linksys/Cisco are newb recommendations to reposition the unit or verify wireless settings. The WUMC v1.0 firmware (08/07/2012) that the unit was originally shipped with is now over 5 months old. Few, if any new devices (and this one in particular) are released to the public perfect. Most new devices get new firmware within the first month or two to address typical post-release issues. The fact that this Linksys/Cisco device won't function properly with another Linksys/Cisco device is a sad statement on Linksys/Cisco's testing and release processes.

It appears that Linksys/Cisco has NO interest in supporting customers who have purchased this device. Recommend finding a different product to meet your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fastest Wireless - bought two, October 2, 2012
Installed the product in three minutes with no hassles. Both units are bringing the fastest Internet to their locations (as if they were wired into the router - 60mbps down / 17mbps up). That's as fast as the direct wired computers, so I can't complain. The units are about 30 and 50 feet away from the wireless router. Gaming and download speeds are perfect. Connectivity was a breeze with the AE6500 router. Please note that the units get warm (not hot), but with speeds up to to 1300 Mbps - it was expected. Exactly what I needed.

Here is a recent speedtest while the computer is about 35 feet away from the router:

5.0 out of 5 stars Dropped connection RESOLVED, January 26, 2014
I had the same problem with dropped connections until I connected an AppleTV and set it to never go to sleep. I have a second WUMC710 and connected a Buffalo NAS drive which is always on. Both WUMC710's have stayed connected to my network without interruption for about 3 months now. I think the WUMC710 needs something connected to one of the four ports that will always be using the connection. This preserves the connection for all the other connected devices that may go dormant (Blue Ray player) when not in use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: do not upgrade firmware to 1.01 if you have an Airport Extreme, April 10, 2014
This box does actually work, and for a very good price, although it is very difficult to get working with an Apple Airport Extreme (2013, the 802.11ac model).

If you flash the Linksys device to the 1.01 firmware, it will start crashing the Airport Extreme every few seconds, bringing down your wireless network entirely. The only fix is to send the device back and get a new one with the 1.0 firmware installed.

Airport Extreme doesn't support WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) for the purposes of this device, therefore it's fairly troublesome getting it connected to your network. I also had to add a separate 5 GHz SSID to the Airport Extreme in order to get the device to even see the network. (This can be done via the Airport Utility.)

All in all, this does eventually work. It's so low-priced for what it does, that I have to give it four stars. I'd most likely give it 5 stars if it hadn't taken an entire night of troubleshooting and a product return before I got it working. Be very cautious if you are trying to use this with an Airport Extreme (2013), and do not flash the firmware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, but User UN-Friendly, October 1, 2013
I upgraded to an ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router and bought two of these Linksys units as well as a WD My Net AC Bridge, 4-Port Gigabit WiFi Media Speeds, Easy Setup AC Wireless Bridge. When I had my wireless N network, I also tried out the NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop Version with 4-Ports (WN2500RP).

Connecting all of these devices was relatively easy, but the NETGEAR and WD products were significantly easier to use and administer in the following ways:

Device Access via Network Cable

The NETGEAR and WD products allow you to connect to the device via a network cable and enter a simple, convenient web address to access the admin and set up pages.

The Linksys bridge requires you to enter a default IP address and when you then configure the device to use a wireless network, it requires you to go to your Router interface and look up the device's IP address so that you can reconnect and continue.

Firmware Update

Both the NETGEAR snd WD products allow you to check for, download, and install firmware updates via the admin control pages.

The Linksys AC Bridge, does not allow you to check for and download updates. You have to manually check your firmware revision against the available versions on the Linksys web site, download the newer version, and then launch the device admin page (remember to look up the IP in your Router's clients table) and point the device to the firmware upgrade file.

Performance

Both the Linksys and WD AC bridges seem to work well. Any differences in throughput aren't noticeable at this point. The Linksys product seems to run a bit hotter, but it is a bit smaller (about half the height an about 25% thicker).

Conclusion

I have not run a comprehensive performance comparison, but both products seem to work equally well. However, the WD My Net AC Bridge, 4-Port Gigabit WiFi Media Speeds, Easy Setup AC Wireless Bridge is significantly easier to maintain and administer. I would spend the few extra dollars for the WD unit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not stay connected., January 9, 2013
Requires reboots randomly. Appears to be connected but no downstream device can see the Internet until reboot.

When it works, it's great, but when it doesn't its a pain to get back up.

3.0 out of 5 stars drops connection to EA6500, December 1, 2012
I've had it for a month, and it's dropped it's connection to the EA6500 wireless router 3 times so far. No amount of reboots of the device nor the EA6500 seem to get it working again... only about 15-20 minutes of idle time going by. Then it suddenly links up again and I can continue streaming my media.

When it does work, it's certainly adequate for full bluray bitrate streaming which is why I got it. If firmware updates fix the drops, I'll be 100% satisfied.

IN case anyone cares, my bridge has near line of site to the EA6500, and its about 22 feet away.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance between bridge and router, November 7, 2012
I bought a EA6500 and a WUMC710 to plug a NAS.Before, i was owning a WRT54G and a WAP54G and the speed between my hard drive server and my computer was twice the speed of my new system. I am very disapointed. I use the online chat tech support, and they found nothing...

Update: I had problems with my router powering on and off alone. I finally open the router and i found a component that was not soldered. So, i soldered it and the problem disappear! I know, my warranty is void, but the shipping charge from my island to USA cost the price of this unit... If you want to see a picture of the repair, just send me a mail!

Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars WIFI DROPS EA6500 5GHZAC LINK, REQUIRES REBOOTS, POS, November 17, 2012
I purchased this device with a EA6500 Router to use the 1.3gbps 5ghz Wireless AC link to bridge 4 devices in my Entertainment Center. The WIFI indicator will eventually turn off and the connection is dropped requiring a reboot frequently. I have reflashed the device, reset it numerous times, & there are no new firmware updates for it.

Cisco Support is useless and did nothing to troubleshoot the problem and asked me to RMA it.

The problem also could be the numerous firmware updates on the EA6500 that has caused Wifi link to drop and it will not reestablish the 5ghz AC link without rebooting the WUMC device repeatedly through out the day.

The device is only 30 feet away from the router with clear line of site.

Between problems with the WUMC710 intermittently dropping connection and the numerous firmware updates to my EA6500 that has caused it to be unstable and the Cloud Connect reporting erroneous device information (same name for 5 devices. or one device with 5 mac addresses! ) I WOULD NO LONGER RECOMMEND THESE DEVICES TO ANYONE.

I give CISCO a -1 for putting out untested and flawed products that require its customers to beta test them at their expense. I will never buy anything from cisco and I'm dumping them altogether. Support is below tier one in terms of knowing anything about troubleshooting with idiotic suggestions and no networking knowledge at all.

Linksys Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector (WUMC710)
$160.39 $41.87