5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent But You must UNDERSTAND the setup
1. The CD did not come of much use. It was not connecting to the Extender. Period. Then I called them and got help from a GREAT technician with Linksys
2. The Concept
Published on July 14, 2012 by SUMA DOPPALAPUDI

3.0 out of 5 stars Found the secret to keep it from dropping out of service
Published on November 3, 2011 by Kim Fa Rosadi

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent But You must UNDERSTAND the setup, July 14, 2012
This review is from: Linksys N300 Wireless Dual-Band Range Extender (RE1000) (Personal Computers)
2. The Concept
You obviously have a wireless router. This must sync with the Extender. Let's say you just plug in the extender. Windows Wireless refresh will pick up the extender, but will do nothing beyond that. Since this is not connected to the main router yet, it will not even give you internet. Again the extender must be made to sync with the main router in ALL respects.

3. Simply connect the extender to the lap top computer using an ethernet cable. Put the extender close by in a power outlet and turn it on i.e. until the CSCO stops blinking and stays lit.
4. From the windows refresh wireless networks, choose the extender ( it always shows up)
5. Try to open an internet browser. IT will not work, since the extender does not connect to the internet.
6. It will ask you for user and pw. type in admin in user id and admin in pw
7. this will open the web interface for the extender.
8. Now you have to sync with the router.
9. Go under wireless and click on the main router SSID and click Connect. This will ask you for the router password. Once you put that in your are done.
10. Disconnect the ethernet cables.
11. Again choose the referesh wireless networks. Now you will not see the extender. You will see the main router. However since the extender is synced with the router, you can now move the extender somewhere midway between poor and good reception.

The main thing now. My iphone started dropping the signals and I had to reconnect each time with the password. Since I knew the CONCEPT, i went back to the web interface of the main router and checked the TYPE of pass phrase. It was WEP2 Personal. IT does not matter which one, but must the same in the extender. Just putting the pw is not enough. It must be the same TYPE.

So in the main router, I verified the DHCP Reservation to check the RE1000 (extender. Check its IP address.

Open a browser and type in this IP address of the RE 1000
type in admin for user id and admin for pw
- Go to Basic Wireless Settings
- Go to Manual
In Security Mode, choose the same TYPE of Security Mode as in the main router.
Of course put in the same Passphrase as in the main router.

If not the extender will drop your devices and you will have to reenter the password.

I have all the bars working now in our 5000 sq ft house and even gets WIfi on the deck with 2 bars and 1 bar even when I go to the Stop sign and the end of the road.

FYI : Disclaimer : I am just a computer lay person. I wrote this to help people like me. Maybe if you have better computers it will work like they say i.e. just plug in and it will work. The problem, we make so many changes to our wireless routers over the years etc that you will have to do some work.

Good Luck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Found the secret to keep it from dropping out of service, November 3, 2011
At first I thought this product was CRAP! The first 2 weeks was nothing but nightmare. the repeater was dropping in and out of service religiously. Then I found the secret. Change the ip from DHCP to static! I'd use the first 100 of the last address. This thing been working like a charm since then. Haven't dropped once. I'd give it a 5 star for its performance but minus 2 for letting me thru hell to figure out how to make it stable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Device- Lousy Warranty, September 13, 2011
I'm changing my star rating from 5 stars to 3 solely on this products warranty. I had a problem with it, four months after purchase, and I contact the manufacturer directly. I was told that it only comes with 90 day warranty. If I wanted to speak with a technician tonight it would be $29.99, but if I upgraded, I could have a whole 6 months for $39.99. It's my own fault for not having read the fine print, but 90 day warranty seems too little. And I refuse to pay that kind of money to fix a device that's 4 months old. It shouldn't have issues so soon. I was able to continue playing with it, until I got it to work. Now, I'm really glad I didn't pay $30 for someone to walk me through a troubleshoot. I still think its a great product when it works, but I don't think it has a good warranty system. Keep that in mind when purchasing.

****Original 5 star Review*****
I'm ecstatic with this purchase. Our router is in the basement, so the rest of the house gets really poor wi-fi. I've been looking for alternatives for some time. I switched out the antennas, I tried another extender (The Cisco-Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander - REFURBISHED), and nothing worked. This took less then 5 minutes to set up, I didn't need to plug it into the computer or go down to the basement. I was just in a section of the house that gets decent reception did my magic, and now the entire house gets at least 75% reception. These areas were working with less than 25% prior to plugging in the extender. I have to play with the location of the device, but I believe I can get my house to above 80%. Even at the current rate, it's amazing. I'm not limited to where I can work on my computer, and now, we have wifi in the living room, so we can finally stream some movies to our big screen tv. :)

The design is nice and attractive. I have it right now in my bedroom, and it doesn't create an eye soar. It's also small enough not to draw too much attention to itself. I liked the price. It wasn't the cheapest, but also not the most expensive on the list. I also picked it because it was the same brand as my router, and I thought it might ease the set up. I had no problem with that. It took about 5 minutes to program, and it works great. I recommend it to anyone else that's having similar issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful setup - horrible documentation - wish it worked, June 13, 2012
I purchased the RE1000 to extend the signal of a Cisco 4200 wireless router in a large home where I was not getting a good signal in the opposite corners of the home from where the original router was located.

I tried to use the Setup CD and while it seemed like it worked, it did not / could not recognize the router. After about 2 hours of attempting the automated and manual setup processes I finally got this to work, but I probably could not repeat the exact steps again if I had to. The setup process is RIDICULOUSLY COMPLEX and UNDOCUMENTED.

None of the Cisco provided documentation or website support is useful in any way.

A few notes:

1) If you opt for manual setup (which is the only way I can get it to work), the security settings on the Range Extender need to be EXACTLY the same as the security settings on your router. This includes not only the password, but also the security type (WEP, WPA, etc.)

2) The "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" button is completely undocumented and I have no idea what this does or how/why to use it. Even following the steps recommended in the manual admin console it does nothing.

3) The rate at which the Cisco logo blinks on the router will tell you if it is working properly or not. Good luck finding out how to interpret the different blinking rates/patterns.

4) There is much discussion on the internet about needing to set up a Static IP address. I did not need to do this in order to get it to work.

5) There is a very important screen in the Range Extender admin screen where you click the wireless source you would like to pair the range extender with. When you click the radio button it then pops up an OTHERWISE HIDDEN SCREEN which allows you to pair the devices. The main screen should say something simple like "Pick the router you would like to link the Range Extender with" but it does not say anything of the sort. I think I clicked the right thing by accident and this is what ultimately was required to get the range extender to work.

6) It is possible to reset the range extended to the factory settings (which I had to do about 5 times before it worked). Good luck finding out this undocumented trick.

7) Most importantly, and this is my favorite part, if you can see the Network Extender appearing in your list of available wireless networks, this means that it is NOT WORKING properly. If it is working properly, it DISAPPEARS from your list of available networks and you only see the original source router. When the range extender is working properly there is no evidence that the range extender is actually working (except the blinking logo, maybe? Note: it also blinks when it is not working at all. ) This sure would have been an interesting tidbit of information for Cisco to pass along to consumers.

Ratings:
Ability to automatically ink with other Linksys/Cisco routers - F
Signal strength - A
Connection consistency - F
Speed - F

My recommendation is to buy the refurbished unit at half the price of the new one. There are probably thousands of these things in perfectly good working condition that get returned to Cisco simply because they are too difficult to set up. UPDATE - I do not recommend buying this product in any way. In fact if someone offers to give it to you for free, save yourself the headache and respectfully decline their offer (and recommend that they destroy the unit so they do not give it to some other unsuspecting person).

Cisco does not deserve to make any money on this product due to poor documentation, lack of support, and generally horrible quality.

==REVISIONS to intial review ================================
I revised my initial review to include another "F" grade for connection consistency. This thing contantly drops the internet connection but still shows 3 bars of signal. This is the most unorthodox thing I have ever seen. Even if you do the firmware upgrade and change it to Static IP address, as suggested, it drops the connection continously (every 15 minutes or so).

Also added an "F" grade for speed. When the extender does connect to the internet it runs at about 1/10th the speed of my wireless router (3 mbps, vs. 30 mbps). Basically this unit will pick up the signal from your main router and drop the speed by at least 50% as it transfers it. So while "range extender" is technically a correct name for this unit, it does nothing to increase the speed of an already slow signal. Whatever signal it picks up, it "forwards" that signal at 50% of that speed (best case).

== Second REVISION to initial review ========================
After messing around with this thing for over a week I finally got it to be marginally functional but still far below my expectations. And it pretty much requires a degree in wireless network engineering to get this thing working. Update:
1) Location of Extender: The range extender is very tempermental and getting it in the right location in your home is critical. To do this I needed to test it in about 10 different locations and use one of the "speed test" apps on your computer to test speed at various points in your home with the range extender plugged into different location. However, you also need some other supplemental tool to see which router you are connected to because the Range Extender uses the exact same name as your main router. You need something that will show you the MAC address of the device you are connected to (you will quickly commit this address to memory by the time you actually get the unit to work). My range extender works best when it is as far away from my main router as possible (on opposite side, second floor of 5,000 sq ft home).

2) Connection Dropping: As noted above, the range extender was dropping the connection (and still showing 3 bars!) about 10 times per hour on average. This appeared to have nothing to do with the location. I tried setting up the range extender with a static IP address and this did nothing to help. I found another tip on the internet and set up a "reserved IP address" on my main router to match the static IP address I chose on the range extender. This reduced the connection dropping problem significantly. Now I am dropping the connection about once per hour, vs. 10 times per hour prior to that. UPDATE: yesterday the unit (with a strong signal from the base) was dropping my internet connection about every 3 minutes.

When I was purchasing this product I was confused as to how there could be so many different reviews with people either loving or hating this product. Now I know why. Sometimes the configuration and placement works perfectly (for no good reason other than pure, random luck in the initial setup, router pairing and location of the range extender). Everyone else hates it because there are 100 different things that can go wrong with the setup and there is NO DOCUMENTATION from Cisco-Linksys on how to fix it.

It appears from the reviews that 50% of people who purchase this product are extremely dissatisfied and/or return the product. I cannot believe Cicso is doing nothing to rectify these issues. They could sell a zillion of these things if they actually worked.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PIECE OF JUNK! Sorry to be so harsh. If someone from Cisco would like to contact me, I'd be happy to tell you all the things that are wrong with this product. Please schedule a few hours for the discussion.

Update: I updated the firmware and the extender still does not work properly. It drops the connection about every 5-6 minutes. The maximum connection time without dropping that I have seen so far is about 16 minutes. This thing is a headache.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars It's not the setup that is difficult..., December 2, 2011
The problem (that I believe the majority are facing) is not setting up the RE1000, it's the RE1000 dropping other devices from the internet after couple of minutes.

I.e. devices connected to the RE1000 will still show you full home wifi signal strength and never loose connection to the RE1000, but they simply loose the ability to connect to the internet (i.e. browse the web, etc..).

I've used the RE1000 it to extend my Cisco Linksys E4200 signal, and this device has been nothing but pain so far, and it seems I'm not alone at this.

I'm a senior software developer, and own plenty of routers, many of which are custom dd-wrts, and rarely I find something this frustrating to use without being the manufacturer at fault.

Anyway, I'll hopefully update this review if Cisco releases a firmware upgrade that fixes this device. So until then, my advice is stay away.

p.s.
to whom it may concern, RE1000 also doesn't support mac address filter option enabled on your home router that the RE1000 is extending.

Other devices won't be able to connect to the RE1000 if mac filter option is enabled on your home router (even though those devices' mac addresses are properly listed in your home router along with the RE1000 mac address).

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 7, 2012 4:34:08 PM PST
I'm sorry about the frustration you've experienced with the RE1000. We have posted some tips on improving the performance of the extender on our user forums located here

I also wanted to mention that you actually can do MAC filtering but because the RE1000 is a proxy repeater, you have to define both the global MAC of the client and the virtual MAC that the RE1000 calculates in the MAC filtering table of the router.

To find the virtual MAC addresses, access the RE1000 UI, and go to Status/ Statistics/ Wireless Client MAC table or Wired client MAC table, there you have a table with all the connected clients, their MAC address and the calculated Virtual MAC.

We'll be posting the MAC filtering information in our user forums as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy., September 14, 2011
Im confused when I see other reviews w/"poor range" or "hard to use" or "hard to setup."

1) Range - I live in a 4500 sq feet wood framed house. The wifi router is in one corner of the house so wifi is spotty and unreliable on certain areas of the house. Placed this baby in the center of the house. BOOM. No more wifi dead spots. 4 bars or more in all corners of the house. Beautiful. Unless you live in a house much bigger than mine(not many), or walls that are made of lead, or live on a 2 acre property and expect this thing to give you full coverage(it wont), I dont understand how anyone can say its poor range.

2) hard to setup - HOW CAN THIS THING BE HARD TO SETUP? HOW? You put the CD in your laptop. Plug the unit into a wall socket. Click next a few times. Your done. THATS IT. Everything was automatic!! You dont even need to switch your connection from the router to the extender. Its all integrated. What is so hard or confusing I cant understand. I guess just like 99.999% of the population can take Tylenol without any problems but the 0.00001% will die from a severe allergic reaction to it. You cant please everyone.

A word of caution however... 1) If you dont have a computer(with a working CD drive) thats connected to wifi(eg. someone whose only use of wifi is for the Wii to watch netflix), this extender will not be good for you. 2) If your wireless router is not "n", you should probably upgrade the router to "n" as well. 3) place the extender at a place where there is decent wifi signal. The repeater repeats what it receives, if you feed it garbage, it'll just repeat garbage. Feed it a good signal, it'll repeat a good signal. Simple.

Enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars No customer service, November 28, 2011
This might be a great item, but I was unable to make it work, after much effort, and had to return it (thank heavens Amazon makes this easy!). After hours of frustration I gave up and tried to get help from the manufacturer, which turns out to be CISCO. No telephone at all, and to get help online, one must first pay a fee of $36.00, which is half the price of the device. Mabye you can make this work, and maybe you do not need assistance, but if you have any difficulty, you are on your own. I plan to avoid CISCO products in future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well but setup could have been easier, November 26, 2011
This is the third extender I've tried and finally the one that works. It was a bit of an adventure getting the setup to run so there's definitely room for improvement there. Here's the rundown of the steps I took...

1. Ran the setup CD on my desktop computer. Message: should be on run in a computer with a wireless connection. That's fair but it wold be nice to tell me this beforehand.

2. Ran the setup on a MacBook with Lion. Message: setup does not support the operating system version. No excuse for this.

3. Next attempt - run setup on a netbook. Netbook doesn't have a CD drive so copy the files to a flash drive and install from that. Message: DLL missing. Frustration starting to set in.

4. Map my desktop CD drive on the network and connect to it from the netbook. Finally, setup runs. But wait, Dell has it's own network utility on the netbook that's incompatible with the setup software. Disable dell utility so the default Microsoft network utility runs.

5. Setup finally runs to the end and after a few minutes staring at a message about configuring the extender I get an message with error code: 82BE010D.

6. Now I'm seeing red. I get on a support chat session with a Cisco rep. After disabling the wireless connection on the netbook and connecting an ethernet cable to the extender, I find that I can still see my network. The only explanation for this is that the extender was actually connected to my network and was functioning properly.

7. I then moved the extender to a better location for full coverage and all seems well. I'm still not sure what the error message was about but I'm not complaining at this point. Ok, maybe a little. But this baby works on my WPA2 network which is more than I can say for the Diamond and Netgear extenders I've tried before.

I hope this helps someone else who encounters the same or similar problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars The RE1000 is a network killer!, January 7, 2012
In general, I have been very pleased with Cisco/Linksys products as evidenced by the many items of theirs I have purchased over the years.

I have been a software developer for 35 years with a log of those years spent designing and specifying hardware as well.

As far as I can see, the RE1000 has a single fatal flaw which, if fixed would immediately catapult my rating to a 4 or maybe even a 5. Sadly, the software design for the RE1000 was poorly thought out and the oversight is one which makes the use of this unit a daily nightmare, especially if you using it with a Linksys router and utilizing all of its features.

What's the problem? Simple. When the RE1000 sees any computer on the network, it assigns it a phantom Mac Address, using the first three parts of its own Mac Address and the last 3 parts of the client's Mac Address for the phantom Mac Address.

If you the Mac Address to assign clients an IP with DHCP, their IP will change and there is no way to allow the router to know that there is a client with 2 different Mac Addresses. If you use the Mac Address to filter wireless clients, your wireless clients will no longer be connected to the wireless network.

You can set up an additional IP for your wireless clients, but if filling the DHCP and MAC filter tables on your was the only problem, it would be merely be an inconvenience and not a fatal problem.

But what i see in my network is that all of my wireless clients periodically lose connection and I am often forced to reboot both router and clients to get it resolved. Sometimes I can just boot a client and when it reconnects I see it has been assigned a different IP from the one it was before I booted - since there are 2 possible IPs for each, one for direct connection to the router (a Linksys E4200) and one for connection through the RE1000. So the clients will try to bounce to one or the other connection if traffic is slower through the connection they have. This reaults in their losing communication. Yet when I look, often the client will report that it is connected to the network.

And this is the only way I have been able to set up my network so that it even works! Now, there is one fix.. but it is unacceptable to me since it means I must lower the security of my network to implement it.

If I disable MAC filtering and accept random DHCP IP assignment (or go to fixed IP assignment, turning off DHCP) , I can then dispense with the changes I had to male above. But this means that my wireless network is no longer as safe from a wireless attack as it is when using MAC filtering.

Patches I would like to see:

1) Allow the user to turn off wireless connection through the RE1000. My initial purchase of the RE1000 was to allow me to connect a printer to the wireless network. The printer did not have wireless capability and the RE1000 works fine for this.

2) Patch Cisco/Linksys routers to allow the user to recognize two different MAC Addresses in DHCP assignment. Obviously this would mean only 1 IP would be assigned. The user would still have to add a second entry to the MAC table, but the filtering could check for the existence of a 2nd MAC assigned to the same IP before refusing the client.

OR

3) Patch the client software (obviously, this would only work for Cisco/Linsksys drivers).

Only option 1 would be practical since it patches a problem at the source. As for those of us wishing to use the RE1000 as a repeater (range extender), Cisco needs to come up with a better way to deal with the problem, Unfortunately, as someone unfamiliar with the code and hardware, I can only surmise that the real solution requires a change in both their router and RR1000 software and this solution would make the RE1000 incompatible with other manufacturers' products.

By the way, this client, which was somewhat stable before the addition of the RE1000 has disconnected from the network 3 times while I wrote this review.

Do NOT buy this product if you use or intend to use DHCP and MAC address filtering on your router (of whatever make).

2.0 out of 5 stars SSID behavior + you can have more than one extender, October 2, 2011
Update: I am dropping my rating on this product to two stars because adding the extender causes the signal to drop, come back, drop again, back and forth and it drives me crazy. This product would have been much better if you could specify a different SSID for the extended portion of the network. I think this unreliability is caused by some devices being confused about which signal to choose for the same SSID (see explanation below).

Two things were not obvious reading all the product specs, so thought I'd share it after some research:

1. The RE1000 creates a duplicate SSID (the name of your wireless network that pops up in your list of wireless connections). So the SSID assigned to the RE1000 will be the exactly the same as the SSID on your base router. The password will also be the same. Laptops usually just roll the two SSIDs into one, so depending on your OS you will probably see just one SSID / wireless network (the OS picks the strongest signal).

2. It wasn't clear from the product description whether it's ok to use more than one range extender. I confirmed with Linksys:

It will work fine when using more than one RE1000 on the same network, but something to keep in mind is that the maximum bandwidth will cut in half for each extender. So for example if the base router is capable of 300Mbps, clients connected to one extender will be able to reach a max bandwidth of 150Mbps. If a second RE1000 is added, then clients connected to each extender will be limited to a max of 75Mbps.

Right now I'm using two extenders and they work fine together.