5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent But You must UNDERSTAND the setup
1. The CD did not come of much use. It was not connecting to the Extender. Period. Then I called them and got help from a GREAT technician with Linksys
2. The Concept
You obviously have a wireless router. This must sync with the Extender. Let's say you just plug in the extender. Windows Wireless refresh will pick up the extender, but will do nothing...
Published on July 14, 2012 by SUMA DOPPALAPUDI

3.0 out of 5 stars Found the secret to keep it from dropping out of service
At first I thought this product was CRAP! The first 2 weeks was nothing but nightmare. the repeater was dropping in and out of service religiously. Then I found the secret. Change the ip from DHCP to static! I'd use the first 100 of the last address. This thing been working like a charm since then. Haven't dropped once. I'd give it a 5 star for its performance but minus 2...
Published on November 3, 2011 by Kim Fa Rosadi

‹ Previous | 1 2 387 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Way To Easy. . . .Love it!, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Linksys N300 Wireless Dual-Band Range Extender (RE1000) (Personal Computers)
Did alot of reading on some good Wireless range extenders and I kept coming back to the Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender I never write reviews pretty much ever. The reason I am writing this one is because it deserves it. Packaging was mint, beautiful design, and very very easy set up. I turned on my laptop, put in the cd which it comes with, followed the steps and within 3 minutes was up and going went from 3 bars to 5 full bars excellent reception. . .pretty easy to do just have computer, wireless rounter and range extender plugged into an outlet between you and the wireless router. . .it will automaticaly find your router and when you set up is finished you can then move to what part of office/house you want . . .I did this at the farthest part of the house just to see and was amazed that I had 5 bars. . .this is definitely worth the money, again if it wasn't I would have never even bothered with a review for all you lovely people!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, December 26, 2011
No problems installing or configuring, the fact that it duplicates the SSID causes all our wifi connected devices to constantly drop the connection and switch between the original AP and the extender. Without an option to specify a unique SSID, there is no solution to this problem, rendering the extender worthless to anyone in the same situation.

Since devices that were closer to the original AP now alternate between the two as well, connections that were previously fine are now dropping every few minutes, making the situation worse than before we bought the device.

Tested on Windows 7, Linux, and several peripheral devices that use wifi for connectivity.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 12, 2012 3:57:09 PM PST
Thanks for your feedback. There is a firmware update that has a few fixes. Go to:
Click on the "Downloads" tab and select your hardware version - firmware update is Ver.1.0.01 (Build 2)

Please let me know if this helps. You can also contact us
And we are on Facebook for further trouble-shooting support (facebook.com/ciscolinksys).

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is awesome!, January 13, 2012
Exactly what I was looking for. Simple set up, beautiful signal recieved. I am in the opposite end of the house from router, and I only used to get a very low signal on my devices, and dropped connections. Now my tablet, my playstation 3 and a pc all get excellent signals, Amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to do., April 17, 2012
I just wanted to post this review to make everyone aware that it does extend range, however, nothing comes free and there is a tax. The tax is that the throughput is halved. If you speed test your connection and get 10 Mbps without the extender, you will get 5 Mbps with the extender. I knew this going into it, but I feel they could include this fact in their description so people are not confused by the drop in throughput.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work; virtually no troubleshooting guide, December 3, 2011
Given the generally positive reviews I had hoped this range extender would work quickly and easily, since I'd had trouble with one a few years back. We have a common Linksys "n" router, no Mac filtering, simple Windows XP and Mac laptops, and despite multiple attempts following the incredibly short Troubleshooting Guide, the software was never able to even find the range extender. I suppose I could spend more than the couple of hours I've already wasted on this by contacting Cisco tech support to walk me through an installation, but you shouldn't have to do that for a simple consumer device. The software and the device has no built in troubleshooting to help trace any problems. This one is going back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection problems with D-Link and poor Linksys support, November 11, 2011
I bought this device to extend the signal from my D-Link DIR-655 wireless router.

Out of the box the device looks clean and compact. Very quickly loaded up the installation CD but could not get the Extender to show a signal.

I went to Linksys Chat support. As is usual for this kind of support, it took an age to get to the front of the queue (17 mins) and when I did start chatting with their Rep, the waits for responses were painfully long. A couple of times in the chat communication I had to refer the representative to my previous answers....I guess he or she had a dozen different conversations going and found it hard to keep track!

Eventually the Extender started to work, though in truth I am not sure what step in the troubleshooting caused this...

At first the Extender worked fine, clear signal at the other end of my house, where previously there was none. However it quickly became clear that in areas in which wireless devices were picking up overlap signals from both my D-Llink Wireless Router and the Linksys Extender, there were problems. Multiple Wireless devices (iPad2, iPhone4, Vizio Wireless TV etc) were either repeatedly prompting me for my network password, or dropping the wireless connection altogether...I tried to soldier on for a few days but the pain really didn't outweigh the benefit.

I couldn't face Linksys chat support again, so back in the box for a swift refund from Amazon.

Net, net, a great idea, but look elsewhere if you have a similar set up to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results in FIVE minutes of work, February 17, 2012
My home wireless network runs on a Cisco Lynksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router WRT301N. Highly recommended.
The literature of the Cisco Lyksys RE1000 states clearly that it works best with other N-devices.

I read another review that indicates that RE1000 does not work well with a WRT54G wireless-G router.
That technology is at least 7 years old. That kind of behavior is EXPECTED even before opening the box.

Follow the three points of instructions that come in the CD Installer package.
1- Ran setup.exe from the CD.
2- The wizzard asked me to plug extender to the wall where the signal is weak. I was lazy and plug it by the router where the signal is strong.
- New network device detected immediately. McAffee Network Security module indicated the presence of a new device and asked for permission to let it be part of the network.
- The wizard told me to move the device to the place where the signal is weak. I moved it. The internet browsing experience on the other side of the house improved considerably.

The signal is steady for video streaming, internet browsing, uploads and downloads.

In summary: Easy quick dummy-tested installation, smart detection of strong/weak signal during installation, great steady experience. More than what I expected from a $70 investment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy, Flexible, and Decent Price, September 24, 2011
Jon Zastera (Bloomington, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
Most wireless extenders on the market require you to plug directly into your wireless router and broadcast an additional SSID. The Linksys RE1000 is a little different however as this one does not require you to plug directly into the router to extend the signal. It does indeed broadcast another signal but the easy setup uses a startup CD that you just put into your laptop and answer a few questions and it will match your existing settings. You can get a little more granular with settings afterwards although there is not much else to change other than the admin password (recommended) and the ability to view connected devices.

The beauty of this extender is the ability to just plug into any wall outlet in the building and it is somewhat inconspicuous. You also can't really beat the price compared to others on the market.

The only downside to this device is that it won't extend on the 5Ghz band if you have a wireless router with that capability and are looking to extend that band for less interference. Luckily, the signal strength, ease of use, and flexibility more than make up for it.

This extender worked flawlessly with a DLink router already in use.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE of Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender, January 29, 2012
MAC users beware!!! This product does NOT support your MAC OS X Version 10.7 (Lion) software. In addition to this, CISCO (Linksys) out-sources their customer service and you will spend hours talking to someone in a foreign country that does NOT have the technical training to support their products. FYI the last software update of the Linksys RE 1000 software was 2010!!! I mean really??? Really!!! Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender

4.0 out of 5 stars Low cost way to extend your wireless network, May 15, 2012
Barberless (Ranchos de Taos, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I used one of these devices at work and decided I would try it at home after pricing out other options such as connecting through the house electrical wiring or using an access point as a bridge. It is a simple enough device that I felt safe ordering a refurbished unit for a 33% savings over a new one. It works very well and increased the reported network speed from 24mbps to 54mbps on my G network from a system at the opposite end of my home. Setup is easy as long as you follow the instructions, but requires a machine with a wireless network device connected to your existing network and a cd player to get setup. When the cd is inserted, it starts the setup program which first checks the internet for software updates for the device. You are then prompted to plug the device into power somewhere near, but not too near, the computer. The software locates the device using wireless networking and prompts you for your wireless network encryption or login key. Once configured, you can unplug it and move it where you want it. From then on, it will retain your settings and continue to operate until unplugged. It also retains the configuration through power outages. If you need to move it to a different wireless network, you have to reset the unit to factory defaults and then rerun the setup on a system that is located on the new network. To reset to factory defaults, just plug it in and hold the reset button for about 8 seconds. The only reason I don't give this 5 stars is that it has a bright lighted Cisco logo on it when plugged in which is wastful of energy and limits placing near a bedroom where the light will keep one awake. A small inconspicuous LED would have been better if there needs to be a power indicator.

‹ Previous | 1 2 387 | Next ›