5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but only with three EVDO card models
About EVDO card compatibility:

Other reviews and several Internet forums discuss compatibility problems with Verizon's EVDO cards (e.g., wireless broadband cards).

Published on April 7, 2009 by D. Vanderweide

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor documentation and support
The unit works awesome if you have an approved card and update firmware. I gave this as a Christmas gift to my parents! They brought me the unit since they could not get it to work.
The Good
1) unit works as advertised provided you are willing to wade through poor support and documentation!

The Bad
1) No tech support number with the product...
Published on January 4, 2009 by Brian Schoenbaechler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but only with three EVDO card models, April 7, 2009
This review is from: Linksys by Cisco Wireless-G Router For Mobile Broadband For Use With Verizon (Personal Computers)
About EVDO card compatibility:

According to Linksys, the newest version of the WRT54G3G-VN's firmware only supports three Verizon Wireless EVDO PC cards: Audiovox PC5750, Novatel V720 and Sierra Wireless AirCard 595. (As of this writing, Amazon sells the PC5750 and the AirCard 595.) Other sources suggest five cards work with this router; that was once the case, but only for previous firmware versions, which are no longer available from Linksys. (My router, purchased in April 2009, came with firmware version 2.01.6, dated May 6, 2008 and likely the last firmware release Linksys will offer.)

If you insert a PC card other than those into the WRT54G3G-VN, the card will receive power but the router will not recognize the card or connect to Verizon. I had to visit my local Verizon Wireless store to change cards (I went with the PC5750); they called it an "upgrade" and gave me the card for free in exchange for extending my service contract by two years.

About technical support:

Linksys places a large orange sign in the WRT54G3G-VN's documentation, suggesting customers call Verizon Wireless for support. Verizon will not support this product, don't bother calling.

Linksys will provide tech support for this device, but only over the phone (i.e., no live chat via the Web site). Expect several transfers and to be on hold for a while. It took three support people and about an hour to get from Linksys tech support the compatible cards for this unit.

About the unit:

The WRT54G3G-VN's best selling point is that it's a standard Linksys WRT54G wireless-G router that happens to have a PCMCIA slot on the top, into which you stick an EVDO card.

That means the familiar Linksys administration panel and approach to home routers is in full presence. If you want simple routing, the guided setup CD-ROM will have you up and running in five minutes. If you want advanced routing -- port forwarding, VPN tunneling, MAC address restrictions, DMZ, etc. -- they all can be set in the admin panel as they would on any other Linksys router.

The back of the WRT54G3G-VN has four standard Ethernet switch ports and an Ethernet uplink port to connect to a DSL or cable modem. Therefore, you could use this router for network failover; simply connect it to a cable / DSL modem via Ethernet, add an EVDO card and configure the router to connect to Verizon only when the cable / DSL modem doesn't work.

This unit only provides 802.11g wireless LAN access. Most laptops made in the last five years or so use wireless-G; older computers that use 802.11b and newer ones that only support 802.11n will not be able to connect to this router wirelessly.

Overall assessment:

Linksys has the lion's share of the home networking market for good reason: they build reliable, affordable equipment, and the WRT54G3G-VN is no exception. It's simple to administer, has more configuration options than most people need and runs rock-solid.

I purchased this unit to replace a Kyocera KR-1 EVDO router purchased five years ago, when it was the only game in town. There's no comparison: the KR-1 (manufactured by D-Link), while adequate for the simplest home networking application, may have settings for port forwarding and VPN tunneling, but the router simply will not support either feature. The Linksys WRT54G3G-VN is hands-down a superior unit, one made by a familiar manufacturer with a proven track record.

In short, there may well be other wireless broadband routers that are as good, but there sure aren't any that are better, so why risk using something that isn't familiar?

Final notes:

-- As others have noted, you need to activate your EVDO card in a laptop PC before it will work with the WRT54G3G-VN. The only way to activate the card is in a PC Card-equipped computer with a fresh install of the VZ Access software. Verizon Wireless will not activate the card for you.

-- It's becoming increasingly difficult to find PC EVDO cards. You'll want to ensure you can purchase a compatible EVDO card first, and keep in mind that in two or three years, you may not be able to easily purchase a replacement PC EVDO card if your card suffers a malfunction.

-- The unit comes with a wide, sturdy stand; it can also be wall-mounted by screws, which are not provided.

-- There's a 3-foot-long, yellow Ethernet cable included in the box. In spite of the odd jacket color, it's a standard, T-568B straight-through patch cord.

-- The power supply cord is about four feet long. The cord has an inverter built into the plug; while it's not heavy or hefty, it may take up two outlets on a power strip.

-- The WRT54G3G-VN is basically the same as the WRT54G3G-ST (Sprint) and WRT54G3G-AT (AT&T Wireless). The only difference is the firmware, which controls what EVDO cards work with the router. It is possible, therefore, that you could use a WRT54G3G-ST with a Verizon Wireless PC EVDO card, or a WRT54G3G-VN with a Sprint card, provided the router's firmware supports the EVDO card you use.

It is also possible to download, for example, the Verizon Wireless firmware from the Linksys Web site, then "flash" a WRT54G3G-ST router with the Verizon firmware, basically turning it into a WRT54G3G-VN. I don't advocate doing that, especially if you are not skilled in computer hardware and networking, but it is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product WITH some qualifiers, August 14, 2008
This product is great. Linksys has farmed out their customer support overseas, so it sucks now. BUT, this is really easy to set up.

1) make sure your card is on their APPROVED list (only 3 cards work for Verizon)

2) make sure your card has been activated and you have USED it in a comptuer, you cannot take a live card and just plug it in

3) have another internet source available while installing, that way you can log into Linksys Chat for any tech/setup related questions

4) patience and a basic understanding on how these networks setup. If you have set up a previous wireless g or something, you know enough

4.0 out of 5 stars Something that finally works..., September 1, 2008
I live in the middle of no-where and have a very hard time getting high-speed internet. I have tried local high-speed, which would not reach, satelite internet, which is faster than dial-up, but not worth the money, and finally this. I recieve 4 full bars of signal where I live, and pull very good speeds. Normal download speeds of about 2 MB/sec, and normal upload about 750Kb/sec. I used this router with a Verizon Wireless PC5750 AirCard, and have no problems. The speeds are very consistant, and I have never had a problem, other than sometimes the router will not automatically "dial in" a connect to Verizon, and I have to push the button. The router has proven it self in reliability, consistancy. I sometimes use XBox Live, and have no problems connecting that and my computer to the internet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor documentation and support, January 4, 2009
The Good

The Bad
1) No tech support number with the product. (they forward you to Verizon tech support which is useless and totally deceiving, a lame attempt to pass the buck Linksys)

2) Updated firmware drivers buried on the website in some obscure location.
3) After hunting a tech support number on the Linksys website and waiting 30 minutes...I eventually found the new firmware drivers and loaded them on my own.

Ditto the other guys post:

2) make sure your card has been activated and you have USED it in a computer, you cannot take a live card and just plug it in

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best investments I've made!, January 20, 2009
After years of struggling with Time Warner Cable's Roadrunner I finally stumbled across this great router from Linksys. This is the perfect solution for anyone who is tired of dial-up or cable and can't get dsl through their phone line...but has multiple computers in the house and needs a wireless router! I'm not a computer wiz but I have installed previous wireless routers and therefor really did not have problems with the set up, but as the other guy says there are a few steps to keep in mind.

1) get the right card from verizon, and double check that they have coverage in your area. I purchased a PC5750 and it works great.

2) ACTIVATE THE PC CARD FIRST!!! Put the card into your laptop or someone's laptop and activate it first. I had to borrow a friends dell laptop to installed the broadband card software and activate it since I only have Mac's in the house and they don't have a PC Card slot! However, once I activated it, I just took the card out of her PC and went on to step 3...

3) Once you have the router all I had to do is put the card in, plug up the router and then push the Data Card connect button on the front of the router. It took a minute or two for the connection to be made but it worked like a charm right off the bat (no software what so ever had to be loaded onto my Macs)

4) You can go to [...] to setup the router and create a password so your wireless network is secure (the default is usually user name: admin, password: admin) google linksys router setup if you have issues.

5) Verizon broadband is not meant for anyone who is looking or needs super high speed. Right now I'm downloading at about 1.5mbs which for normal surfing (checking email, the weather, checking facebook and downloading some songs on ITunes) is fine and I'm not having any issues (and I hate slow connections!) However, if you plan to do any gaming this is not the solution for you!!!

Again, this was the perfect solution and well worth the money for the router and card! The verizon network is reliable and their customer service is much better than the cable company! I would recommend this solution to any friend!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PRODUCT GREAT IDEA..., October 24, 2008
I READ THE REVIEWS AND WAS A LITTLE THROWN BY SOME OF THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. WELL I STARTED LOOKING AROUND AND MOST OF THE PROBLEM SEEM TO BE THE INSTALLATION OF IT. I WENT AHEAD AND ORDERED IT I RECIEVED IT FROM AMAZON WITH IN 4 DAYS WHICH WAS GREAT. I INSTALLED MY VERIZON PC5750 AIR CARD AND FOLLOWED THE SETUP DIRECTIONS AND OF COURSE IT DID NOT WORK. SO FRUSTRATED BECUASE VERIZON SAID THAT THE CARD WAS RECEIVING THE SERVICE THEY COULD NOT HELP ME OUT WITH THE ACTUAL PRODUCT. SO I LOG ON TO LINKSYS SINCE THEY DONT PUT PHONE NUMBERS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE INSTEAD THEY HAVE A LIVE CHAT SERVICE WHERE THE PERSON HELPED ME OUT WHICH WAS COOL. COME TO FIND OUT ALL IT NEEDED WAS AN UPDATE WHICH TOTAL IN TIME TOOK ABOUT 6 MINUTES. OTHER THAN THAT THE PRODUCT IS GREAT, THE WIRELESS DISTANCE IS REALLY GOOD AND I THINK IT IS ACTUALLY FASTER THAN WHAT IT WAS ON MY COMPUTER. OVER ALL GREAT PRODUCT
HOPE THIS REVIEW HELPS YOU OUT
CHEERS

1.0 out of 5 stars Two units = two failed units, April 6, 2009
Kim Crosser "boxd 2 go" (Rancho Santa Fe, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this based on the specs for my Verizon PC5750 PCMCIA card.
The first unit arrived and would not even power up the PCMCIA card - no lights, no power, etc. I still had to spend 1.5 hours with Linksys support before they gave up and declared the unit to be defective and said to return it. Oh - but you can't RMA it to Linksys - it has to be returned to the vendor. Contacted them and they were very nice and sent me a second unit.
Second unit arrived today. Followed directions and voila - the Verizon card powered up ok, lights looked good. However, every time I made a configuration change (network SSID, security), the unit had to be powered off and on. ?!?!? Then, it would only connect to the internet when connected via cable (wireless???). Another 1.5 hours with Linksys tech support (1 hour 23 minutes, 56 seconds per my cell phone call log). End result - advised this unit is also defective, and I need to return it. Oh yes - same story - need to return through Amazon's vendor.
I am giving up on Linksys - two units delivered, two units failed, nearly four hours wasted in setup, testing and Linksys tech support AND I have to arrange to mail back the two defective units.
I would give zero stars, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for vacations and weekends away, September 15, 2009
This mobile router worked great for me and my family. Usually when we go away for a weekend or on vacation, everyone wants to use the laptop with the mobile broadband card to check their email and update Facebook. Now, with this router, we can use multiple laptops, as well as my daughter's iPod Touch, all at the same time. Setup was easy, and the range was pretty good. The MiFi 2200 is a lot more convenient for mobile use, as it's smaller and rechargeable battery-powered, but it has no wired Ethernet ports like this router does. That allows me to use it for home internet access with desktop PC's when my cable internet service is down.
I only gave it 4 stars because I would have liked it to be a little smaller, and maybe have a battery-powered option. Otherwise, it works very well, and I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!, May 28, 2009
Kevin Smith (Southern Maryland) - See all my reviews
If you've got a mobile broadband card for internet service in your home and you want to share it with multiple computers, then you need to check out one of the variants of this linksys device (verizon, sprint, att). We were previously using internet connection sharing through a windows computer, but even when the computer was up we would have to periodically reset the network connection to maintain internet connectivity. In addition we had to keep a computer running (lots of energy) to maintain the connection. This was easy to set up like all linksys devices. Our internet connection is rock solid and fast with this device. Highly Recommended. FYI, also works with the express card versions of mobile broadband adapters - with the appropriate adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful solution for working from home, January 28, 2009
I've been using the Verizon card in my laptop for over a year and it's worked great. I recently found this router on-line, ordered it, plugged everything in, walked through the wizard and everything worked great. We did not have to upgrade the firmware. I am running a VPN phone through the router and the voice quality has been very good. We have two laptops plus the phone running through the one verizon card and it's performing very well. Better than DSL, not as fast a cable. Very satisfied with this product as it allows my office to be truly mobile and I can get internet access for multiple computers from whatever location I choose.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›