3,374 Reviews
 (1,628)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're having problems with this router...read this!
Published 23 months ago by R. Palm

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but nothing special.
Published on May 17, 2012 by Michael A. Behr

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're having problems with this router...read this!, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Linksys N300+ Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Linksys Connect Including Parental Controls & Advanced Settings (E1200) (Personal Computers)
So, I purchased this router a little over a week ago and hooking it up was a breeze. However, I went to speedtest.net and checked my download speed...and I was supposed to be getting up to 20mbps download speed...but I was only getting around .80 mbps. Not good. I hooked my computer up directly to the cable to test and make sure it wasn't my internet provider. I got around 24mbps. So, it was the router. After troubleshooting it for a while over the phone with my brother (who is very good with computers and this kind of stuff...I'm terrible) we were about to call it quits and accept that I received a faulty router. But, we tried one last thing and now I really like this router!

If you are having a similar problem as I described above...try this.

Open up the Cisco Connect program that came with the router. Click on Router Settings. Then, under Other Options click Advanced Settings. This will open a new page. On the menu bar at the top click on Applications and Gaming. Then, in that sub-menu click on the QoS link. The very first setting should be called WMM support. If this is enabled...disable it. Save your settings. And then go test your internet speed. Speedtest.net is a good site if you don't already know another one.

I guess that the WMM setting is there to help enhance games/applications (?), but lots of people have problems with it interfering with the internet speed/causing problems. So, it totally fixed my problem...I hope that this feedback can fix others problems as well!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but nothing special., May 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I recently did my own a router head-to-head comparison, acquiring a number of different routers and trying them out: this EA3500, some cheap netgears, Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N 600mW Gigabit Router (R10000G) (skip it), Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router (an older cousin of this router), ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router (my favorite so far).

I'm also an I/T professional, so I had a lot of fun puting this thing through its paces.

[Update November 9, 2012 - I modified this review slightly to eliminate confusion between my comments about the EA3500 and the older E4200. They're very similar devices. The big difference is that the EA3500 has a big faster top speed than the E4200, and there are ipad/android apps available for wizard configuration.)

Range:
Range is the most important part of a router to me, especially because signal strength is the biggest factor in speed. Even though the maximum speed advertised for a Wireless-N device is far higher, you can be sitting next to an B-wireless router and beat the pants off of an N-wireless device 100 feet away.
Linksys routers seem to abhor the idea of external antennae, which I always feel hurts them. Compared to the Asus RT-N66U, this system tended to be underpowered. My office registered the Asus at -45dBm, while this was at -55dBm. That might not sound like much, but remember that decibels are a logaritmic scale, meaning that the Cisco EA3500 signal is about 1/10 the strength of the Asus.

Speed:
The 750Mb/s is a bit of bad marketing that eveyone participates in. The highest consumer bandwidth options I've seen is 50Mb/s (up & down) from FIOS, which just about any modern router can handle, so if you expect to get better performance from Netflix or Skype, this router problable won't help.
Furthermore, the 750 is 450 on the 5Ghz N channel, and 300 on the 2.4 Ghz N channel, but you can only do one at a time, so the best you'll actually see is 450 (which is darned good). 5GHz N can be faster, but is very susceptible to distance, so from my experience, you pretty much have to be in the same room to get those speeds. That said, if you have your TV come into a slingbox Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100, and then sit in that room with your iPad, you will be able to stream that video with great reception. But of course, one has to wonder why you don't just turn on your TV. When in other rooms, you'll get up to 300Mb/s over 2.4N, or 54Mb/s over 2.4G. Still good enough for streaming, but it takes the shine off of this device versus other less costly ones. This, however, is a general industry issue, and not specifically related to this Linksys. This specific model did indeed demonstrate the ability to connect to it at the advertised speeds... when my laptop was a foot away.

Features:
App - If all you have is an IPad or Android tablet, but no laptop, then having an app that allows you to configure the router is useful. Personally, I have no issues going in through Safari and using the web interface, but if you're not a geek, you might.
Disk - the great thing about the Linksys E series is the ability to easily mount an external hard drive. This is a great feature, and allows you to save hundreds versus a cloud storage system like Dropbox or iCloud (the interface isn't as nice, nor does it have disaster recovery).

Room for improvement:
The ASUS has a few features that I really like but are lacking on the Linksys
No repeater mode - The Asus will allow you to set it up as a repeater for a wireless system. Linksys insists you buy a different device
No DoS protection - I discovered that I am the frequent victim of Denial of Service attacks, though I have no idea why. I suspect everyone is. Amped Wireless and Asus both have configs that let you fight DoS attacks, Linksys does not.
No VPN - The ASUS is also my OpenVPN server, which allows me to be out of the house and securely get access to things on my home network without having to set up a bunch of port forwarding, which is a security risk. Both iPhone/iPad and Android phones & tablets offer native OpenVPN clients.

On my e4200, I had frequent issues with the 5Ghz radio to the point where I had to turn it off. I don't know if that's any better on this EA3500. It seemed to be okay, but only continued use would show it... but my main router is (currently) the ASUS. This one went onto one of my shelves, so I wouldn't really know.

All in all, it's a decent router, but nothing special. I'd likely either get a cheaper router like Netgear WNR2000 N300 Wireless Router, or spring for the Asus. I have my cable modem coming into the Asus, use Netgear XAVB5004 Powerline Network Adapter to get signal into all my rooms, and then have a bunch of devices similar to the WNR2000 for the wireless endpoints.

***UPDATE 12 OCTOBER 2012***
I've actually thrown out my powerline in favor of Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter Kit for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500CK01). the Powerline stuff would occasionally conk out for no apparent reason, which eventually became too frustrating to deal with. The Actiontec takes advantage of the fact that my whole house is wired for Optimum Cable. I get great speeds, and haven't had any drops since it was installed.

[...]

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the firmware upgrade for this router, June 27, 2012
I have had this router now for quite a while and it was working flawlessly, I had it set up exactly how I wanted it. I absolutely LOVED this router.
Unfortunately this all changed on 6/26/2012 when Cisco took it upon themselves to basically FORCE an install of their new firmware which enables their Cisco Cloud Connect service. My device was set to not do updates automatically and yet the router became inactive and after a reboot it received this new firmware update from Cisco without my acknowledgement. This service makes you log into an external server to access your routers settings. There was no option given by Cisco to either use or not use the Cloud, and we were not notified that this firmware update was going to be installed without our knowledge or desire for that matter.
The new firmware apparently can be removed if you call Cisco technical support, but they will advise you that the firmware on your router is no longer supported (the router is only 3 months old, so basically they trashed the original software and wont support you if you use it).
The new firmware is very buggy and reports my internet connectin is down when it clearly isnt. You no longer have direct access to your router even from within your own network. I believe this to be a security risk potential.
Unfortunately the new GUI is unfamiliar and not very intuitive at all.
If you would like to purchase this router as a set it and forget it device its fine. If you are a more advanced user, look elsewhere as they are dumbing the interface down, creating a security risk, and disallowing you from actually connecting to your router in any meaningful fashion from within your own network unless you first log into the Cisco servers with your email address and a password.
This firmware was pushed to current users of this device without our knowledge or consent, leaving me to be very leary of future Cisco endevours for the home. If you have an advanced home network or want greater flexibility in things such as forwarding ports and other advanced options, look elsewhere. .This new, mandatory firmware is too buggy and to risky to be of any good use.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 16, 2012 11:10:34 AM PDT
Thank you for your post. Pasquale, you are correct, we have already addressed the issues raised in this post. The changes we made, as you experienced, give our customers a clearer choice in when and if they decide to upgrade their firmware. For those interested in the facts about the product and service please read on. Otherwise have a great day.

markdr - Thank you for initiating your post, we hope the changes and clarifications will allow your pleasant experience to continue.

Linksys customers are not required to sign-up for the Cisco Connect Cloud service and they are able to opt-out of signing up for an account
Cisco Connect Cloud is an optional service that brings additional features to a home network. It is not required to set-up and manage Cisco Linksys EA Series routers. In response to our customers' concerns, we have simplified the process for opting-out of the Cisco Connect Cloud service and have changed the default setting back to traditional router set-up and management.

Customers can set-up and manage their Linksys router without signing up for a Cisco Connect Cloud account
If a customer chooses not to set up a Cisco Connect Cloud account, they can manage their router with the current local management software. We are committed to providing both Cloud-enabled and local management software. Customers who have already signed up for a Cisco Connect Cloud account may stay with the service and enjoy the expanded features, or can revert back to the local management software by calling the Linksys customer support line at 1-800-326-7114 or by http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&login=1&app=search&vw=1&articleid=25856&donelr=1

Cisco will not arbitrarily disconnect customers from the Cisco Connect Cloud service based on how they are using the Internet.
Cisco Connect Cloud and Cisco Linksys routers do not monitor or store information about how our customers are using the Internet and we do not arbitrarily disconnect customers from the Internet. The Cisco Connect Cloud service has never monitored customers' Internet usage, nor was it designed to do so, and we will clarify this in an update to the terms of service.

Cisco Linksys routers are not used to collect information about Internet usage.
Cisco's Linksys routers do not track or store any personal information regarding customers' use of the Internet.

Cisco only retains information that is necessary to sign up for and support the Cisco Connect Cloud service
If a customer signs up for the Cisco Connect Cloud service, they are asked to provide a new username, a password, and an email address, which is required to set up the account. When the customer sets up a Cisco Connect Cloud account, they are asked to provide a local administrative password for the EA Series router to associate it with a Cisco Connect Cloud account. Cisco does not store this local administrative password.
To reiterate, even when a customer signs up for a Cisco Connect Cloud account, Cisco does not track or store any personal information regarding a customer's usage of the Internet.

Cisco will not push software updates to customers' Linksys routers when the auto-update setting is turned off.
Cisco will only push software updates to a Linksys router when the auto-update option is selected. We will clarify this in an update to our documentation.
Once again, I sincerely apologize on behalf of the Cisco team for the inconvenience we have caused. Cisco is committed to the privacy and security of our customers, and I assure you we will update our terms of service and related documentation as quickly as possible to accurately reflect our company policy and values.

Is Cisco Connect Cloud secure?
The security of the network and protecting user data is always our top priority. NONE of the router settings are stored in the cloud - they still remain on the router and only the username and password are stored to allow for remote connectivity. We take your security very seriously and have gone to great lengths to ensure your information and connected home devices are safe and secure.
Here are the security details:

Validating the user
* We validate the user through double verification of their email account. This double verification process proves to us that the user owns the email account supplied during account setup.
* We validate the network. When setting up your Cisco Connect Cloud account, you must supply the router password when you are connected to that network, behind their router.
* Only when these two elements are satisfied will the unique ID of the router be sent to Cisco Connect Cloud for pairing with the account.

Secure communications
* Communication with the cloud is encrypted and secure.
* Both your web browser and the router establish connections to the Cisco Connect Cloud infrastructure over a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), the same security you use when connecting to online bank accounts.
* Cisco Connect Cloud connections to the router are managed using Transport Layer Security (TLS), a secure bi-directional tunnel for information similar to SSL.
* Privacy Settings - Cisco Connect Cloud does not actively track, collect or store personal info or usage data for any other purposes, nor is it transmitted to third parties. The only information stored in the cloud are the following:
i. The email address you registered for your Cisco Connect Cloud (CCC) account
ii. Your first and last name
iii. SHA-256 encrypted password
iv. Your router's model number
v. Your router's hardware version
vi. Your router's firmware version
vii. Your router's serial number

For more information, please visit the following link:

Will Cisco support the local management access?
Cisco will continue to support both local and cloud management options for our customers.

Should you have any question or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Technical support at 1-800-326-7114

5.0 out of 5 stars Giant leap from a D-Link DIR-655, April 11, 2012
[See 1/21/14 Update below]

As noted above, I upgraded from a D-Link DIR-655 router, which was a good piece of kit and did its job well, but this EA4500 is more than an incremental improvement.

SET UP
I'm fairly tech savvy, so I'm not afraid of a challenge, but this thing coddled me like I was an AOL user and just got the job done.

It's an extremely easy set up. It sniffs for your internet connection, sets it up, and basically gets itself comfortable and up and running with very little need for anything from you. Heck, I used the same SSID as my prior router and many devices (like my Tivo, iPhones, and Macbooks) connected to it like there had been no change in router. If it weren't for a pain-in-the-butt webcam, I would have been fully set up within 15 minutes. The other 4 hours were purely the fault of my Foscam (and only related to setting up that device)!

Back to comparisons with my DIR-655:

SPEED/THROUGHPUT - Per either the router app's built in speed tester (very cool, as is the automatic firmware upgrade option, if desired) or speedtest.net, I went from something like and average of 25 over 10 Mbps to 43 over 25 Mpbs. Finally, efficient use of my advertised Verizon FiOS connection!

RANGE - Our house is about 1600 square feet, but it was built in 1942, meaning plaster and other Frankenstein structural components abound. My DIR-655 was barely making it to the middle and back of the house (router is in the front) with a serviceable connection, such that my wife (who is typically in middle or back and was losing connection) was very frustrated at times. Based on my speedtests on her computer in other parts of the house, I don't think she'll be cursing our network anymore. So far so good. Also, that cursed (just in terms of set up) Foscam webacam is showing a much better video feed both in the house and via remote view on port forwarding. That was an unexpected bonus.

SOFTWARE - Cisco/Linksys are definitely trying to make it an easy/pleasant experience to manage the router, but I (and I'm sure many others who would use a piece of kit like this) won't to go beyond the glossy top level management app. So I was pleased to see that I could indeed jump over to a much more detailed device management interface, much like you'd see with the DIR-655 or other routers. I'm still getting used to the different menus, but it looks like just about everything is there. I'm having a hard time finding the status/MAC address/etc. of all connected devices (such that I had to use a separate IP sniffer when setting up the webcam) but I have to believe it's there somewhere!

Overall, it was absolutely money well spent to move up to this device. Will try to remember to follow up after I've used it for a couple months.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
[JANUARY 21, 2014 UPDATE]

Okay, sorry, that was more than a couple months! Well, I must admit that I have since gone to the Dark (Knight) side. Things weren't as rock solid after a while (I'd say about a year into owning this router), i.e. we were back to my wife complaining of a "slow computer" (which always means internet access and speed) from the back rooms of the house, furthest from the router. After tinkering with the router, and realizing there wasn't much I could do aside from moving it to a more central location(not that feasible), I felt I owed it to her to look around at options a bit more, and decided to try the ASUS RT-N66U (http://amzn.com/B006QB1RPY) due to: (i) it's cult status and (ii) the open source nature/hackability of its firmware. I must admit that I fell in love with the ASUS pretty quickly and, after having it as long as, if not longer than, the Linksys, it remains rock solid with no wifi speed/connectivity (especially if I stick to 2.4GHz in the back rooms). This is really more about my fickleness and desire to try new/different tech than a knock on the Linksys (which I still have and will use in some support capacity some day, most likely), but there is no doubt that the ASUS ended up a much better solution for my needs, and I am sure the AC version of the ASUS router will be my next purchase, when I have the need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but only after the mystery is solved ;), August 4, 2012
I bought this router from the local walmart, choosing it over the less expensive belkin. Not only did it look cooler, i thought Cisco has a better name as well. The set up was a breeze and I had a wireless connection within 2 mins. But the speed was really really bad. I for sometime thought that it was because my broadband was slow. I was very close to returning this modem and buying the more expensive one, when I came across similar complaints on Amazon. A quick fix exists for this and following a few simple steps increased the speed from .3 MBPS to 20 MBPS. I checked out the following website [..]

These are the steps given on this blog..

Go to [...] and login to your router. If you've never done this, look for instructions that came with your router or do a google search to find the default username and password.
Find a page that has QoS settings. For the E1200, you need to click on "Applications & Gaming" and select the "QoS" sub-menu.
Disable WMM Support.
Click save.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, easy setup, outstanding value, May 1, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 4:14 Mins

I've used Linksys products for many years. Overall I've had a good experience with only a few technical support issues. I used several versions of the venerable WRT54G over the course of several years. Most recently I've been using the Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router which had more features than I really needed.

So I was quite happy to receive the E900 which is at the bottom of the heap as far as features are concerned in the lineup of consumer routers by Linksys, but in all other regards, is a worthy wireless router at a very attractive price point.

Installation was a 5-minute affair using the provided setup disc. It walks you through the easy steps to connect and setup your router. About all you have to do other than connect the ethernet cable and power supply is provide a new SSID name if you wish and a different password, if you wish. The setup software actually provides both a SSID and password for you so if you choose to accept the given name and password, you're pretty much good to go. As my installer was completing, it informed me that an update was available for the router and once I accepted that, it proceeded to download and install the update. I didn't have to do a thing.

There is an issue though with the easy setup, and that is that the WIFI router passphrase and router admin password are sharing the same password. This is not secure and you should immediately use the web interface to change the admin passoword to something different.

Now that I've had the router up and running I'm happy to report that the signal throughout my house is strong. Easily as strong as my previous Linksys E4200 and definitely better than the old WRT54G. The router's small size makes it easy to place on my desk and I appreciate that current routers no longer have those ungainly antennas sticking out from the back.

There are no blinking lights on the front face of the router to bother you however beneath each port on the back of the router, LED's do provide assurance that data transfer is taking place and will help for potential troubleshooting in the future.

I've got few if any complaints with this router. It's performance has surprised me and exceeded my expectations. Unless you need the features that a more advanced router will provide such as gigabit ethernet, USB port for networked printer or hard drive, dual-bands, guest access, parental controls, etc, there is no need to spend more on a wireless router. This one will get the job done and won't break the bank in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Pleased and Set Up with Ease!, April 22, 2011
As a certified 'senior' who's never dealt with a router before, I had absolutely no trouble setting up and getting connected. My 6 year old desktop is not wireless. My goal was to get a new laptop up and running via the router. By simply inserting the CD, I followed the instructions with no difficulty at all. I used a Memory Stick with data already stored on it, to then connect to my laptop. In less than 15 minutes both computers were up and running. The laptop is much faster than my desktop so I'm thrilled with that! (I live in a two story home and have had no connectivity problems from anywhere within the home; I haven't tried taking the laptop outdoors, but I doubt I ever will!)

Hopefully, my satisfaction is not short-lived and the router will give me a few good years.

5.0 out of 5 stars best Linksys router yet!, April 18, 2011
Starman (Northern CA) - See all my reviews
I've used Linksys home routers for more than a decade and this is by far the best one yet in every respect. I didn't bother with their fancy new guided configuration software as I'm an experienced user. (I do suspect that inexperienced users might be almost as intimidated by the nifty new setup software, which transports the desired configuration to each new computer via a thumb drive, as they were by the older setup procedure; but that's another story). But I swear that the manual configuration took no longer than getting the shrink wrap off the outer box and undoing the twisty-ties -- reset the admin password, give the SSID a name, select security type, and set a network password. That's it -- all other factory pre-sets are exactly what you need and would expect. Total time for manual setup once the shrink wrap was off -- perhaps 3 minutes at most, and most of that spent crawling under the desk to plug it in. As I used the same SSID and network password as the old Linksys box I was replacing, all the machines actually rejoined the new network and router by themselves (and switched from G to N protocol) as soon as I entered the network password into the router control panel, with no prompting. And finally, the new packaging, even though it shouldn't really matter that much, is nothing short of breathtaking. If you're used to staring at the funny blue box on 4 legs with the two ear antennae, suddenly you enter the 21st century with this new box -- everyone familiar with Linksys products wants to touch it as if it's fine jewlery! It must be only 20% of the volume of the old box. A real triumph of industrial design, quite aside from the hardware and software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router update, April 15, 2012
Just installed this new router yesterday and could not be happier. We live in a relatively large home with multiple wireless and wired electronics and was having difficulty with having all electronics running at the same time and signal not getting to all areas of the home, even though previous router was also N band. Now signal is much stronger and can have multiple wireless computers and a Roku going on at the same time with no delay. Set up was very easy, it recognizes and I can label the different electronic equipment and very simple set up for guest account. Highly recommended.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars I can't recommend this router or tech support, November 14, 2011
James Fitzpatrick (Blue Bell, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I would not recommend this router...or maybe its just the tech support. I was on the phone for the better part of the weekend with Comcast and Linksys. The router had been working fine for a few months before it started acting up. I called Comcast first who couldn't find anything wrong and I even switched the modem to eliminate that as an issue. I got on with Linksys and they informed me they would help even though it was outside the 90 window. I had to reset the router to factory settings and confirmed it had a DNS address. After over an hour we were able to get the router going.

Two hours later the wifi stopped working but wired directly worked correctly. I tried to recycle the router and called Linksys when this didn't work...after checking that it had DNS so the modem was fine. The person I talked too was less than compassionate and was more concerned with selling additional service fee of $40 for a $65 router that is still covered under warranty. He did some trouble shooting of my computer which is a work computer and it is well locked down to any changes....which I told him and he still attempted to change settings to no avail. In this environment I had 3 laptops(2 with XP and one Mac), 2 ipads and 2 iphones to troubleshoot with. The laptops could see the network sometimes and wouldn't connect unless wired, the iPad could connect but it took 20 minutes to download one page!

The tech recommended optimizing the computer and working with the computer vendor. I pointed out that I had three different types of computers and it would make no sense to work with each vendor to optimize it when the issues appears to be the router. He then recommended talking to a software engineer for a fee. He then said I could update to the latest firmware which I asked him which version that is...he said it was online. So while on the phone with him I saw I had the latest version. Lastly he recommended restoring to factory reset again which could damage the unit....does that make sense? Well it turns out this may be the only thing he was right about as when I reset to factory defaults it wouldn't let me finish the set up! I checked the modem again and it works fine. So that was another hour wasted on the weekend at a vacation home. So you tell me what is the point of a 1 year warranty if it means nothing? At this point I don't see a reason to get another Linksys product when I have one that won't function now....and again still under warranty!

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:56:22 PM PST
Hi James..I am hoping that your router is working fine fine now. May I also recommend our Facebook page, where I am sure you will find more tips and support:

Thanks