5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Linux Administration
When I first picked up Linux, there were no books. The readmes were thin and the available help was limited. That was then. Today, I am constantly bombarded by friends that say "You're into Linux, how do I..." And worse, at work, the developers are constantly coming to me to get help with basic administration tasks. I hand them Wale's book.

This is the sort...
Published on July 12, 2012 by kg4giy

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, look further there are better books out there.
I have the 5th edition and read most of it. The book is detailed on command syntax but falls short on why you would want to use the syntax. There should have been a MUCH more detailed explanation on file and group security and how to implement it in various scenarios. What good is a command syntax if you don't really know what you're doing with it?

The...
Published 3 months ago by C. Barker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Linux Administration, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Linux Administration: A Beginners Guide, Sixth Edition (Paperback)

This is the sort of book you want if:

1) You have some Linux experience and want to take the next step, either to administer your own site or improve your job skills to move into professional administration.

2) You are already an administrator of that "other" operating system and want to know what all the fuss is about.

3) You are expanding your Linux administration skills beyond the basic start, stop, break, fix model.

What this book will not help you with is setting up your X environment. Wale takes you in depth, but expects you to do it on the command line. The power of Linux is on the command line, so there is no "click here, click there" type instruction. You spend your time at the pound sign, where real administration is done.

The new version covers the core stuff: DNS, Mail, Web services, backup, installation, and package management. But it doesn't stop there. New core services, like LDAP, Distributed File Systems, and Virtualization (KVM, Virtual Box and QEMU) are covered as well as installations via flash drives.

The other thing that distinguishes the book is that it does not pick favorites. This is a book about LINUX administration, not Red Hat administration or Ubuntu administration. It is about Linux administration, and while Wale covers the subtle differences between them when there is a difference, it is about teaching the skills that an administrator needs to administer a Linux system, regardless of distribution, package management strategy, or GUI tool sets.

This is a book for administrators, by administrators. No fluff about setting up your speakers, or how to connect your video camera. This is about building and running servers in data centres. If this is your job, or you want to make it your job, then this is your entry point. If you are already a skilled administrator, keep a copy on your shelf to loan out to those who need to learn more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning, June 18, 2012
I've had several false starts getting into linux over the years. I think the more conversational tone the Author takes makes it easier to get through compared to some of the textbook-like tomes I've tried before. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it speaks more to a character deficiency on my part when a tech book lays out all the facts and instructions competently but I can't get through it because the writing is too dry.

With books aimed at "beginners" who aren't true beginners (some existing experience with other operating systems is assumed) the right level of detail is difficult to balance. Too little and the reader won't fully understand the subject matter. Too much and he gets bogged down in low level details and has trouble seeing the big picture. I think the author (or editor?) does a good job of laying down a foundation of understanding without giving too much unnecessary information.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one, September 21, 2012
The writing style of this author is on target for someone trying to get their feet wet. Most tech writers make too many assumptions about their readers and end up adding confusion to an already frustrating experience. This writer seems to sense where his readers are and helps them down the path nicely. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book., March 30, 2013
Having been a Windows SA for over 15 years I was looking for a Linux book that could relate what I already knew in Windows with Linux. This book did just that. As the book's title states it is JUST a beginners guide, but it gave me what I wanted which was a first step. Highly recommended for any Windows pros looking to get a start with Linux.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, look further there are better books out there., September 23, 2014

The kindle version I purchased had a very weak table of contents.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Required Text for Mesa Community College, August 12, 2013
Don Reese (Maricopa, AZ) - See all my reviews
Didn't really use this much in the LINUX OS class, but it is the same book used in the LINUX Admin class, so I won't have to buy another textbook later. Excellent overall reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, good explanations and examples, January 12, 2013
So far I am approximately half way through the book. I have picked up alot of tips and knowledge along the way. So far any task I have been asked to perform on our Linux servers has been doable by consulting this book.

I am a very experienced Windows server admin who now also has been asked to help manage the Linux servers too. This book got me going quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source for beginner or refresher, November 25, 2012
Uncle Olaf (LONG BEACH, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I have been monkeying with Linux for a number of years and finally decided to formalize my knowledge a bit more. This book is providing me with a much better background, supplementing what I already knew and filling in a lot of the background. I used to work like the superstitious guy who always crosses his fingers, says his prayers, and sequin he's his eyes shut, not knowing completely why it works, only doing exactly what worked the last time, in hopes the gods will continue t smile. This book is giving me the confidence to do it right and know why.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version Not Satisfactory, January 1, 2013
The book itself seems to cover the basics thoroughly. Unfortunately the monospaced font used for example command lines is rendered at a fixed size. The result is that if the main text is at a comfortable size for reading, the example command lines are unreadable unless I take off my glasses and hold the tablet near my face. (I am nearsighted.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for extending knowledge., November 14, 2012
This is a great book for learning Linux. It covers both Debian- and Redhat-based systems. If you've never touched the Linux command line, the learning curve might be a bit steep. If you've used the command line a couple dozen times, but don't feel at home doing Linux administration yet, then this is going to be a great help.

I was worried it'd be too simple due to it's "beginner" label, but this is purely a beginner to administration. A moderate knowledge of linux (or windows), command line (or command prompt from windows), and computers in general seem expected.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Linux Administration: A Beginners Guide, Sixth Edition
Linux Administration: A Beginners Guide, Sixth Edition by Wale Soyinka (Paperback - March 13, 2012)
$40.00 $23.31