5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!!!
I purchased this book primarily as a review of Linux terminal commands as I have switched back to Linux for the first time in nearly eight years.

Published on July 15, 2011 by PersonReviewing

2.0 out of 5 stars ALREADY OUTDATED
Published on February 25, 2012 by A. L. Wadsworth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!!!, July 15, 2011
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)

I love Linux it is my favorite OS. I currently use Ubuntu, but I have used two different distrobutions of Red Hat and two Different distrobutions of Mandrake (Back when it was Mandrake) and also Knoppix Live CD linux which I used on PC's where I could not install Linux.

This book contains a lot of basic information, but also some that is a little more advanced. It comes with some Linux distrobutions which are helpful if you wish to install Linux, but don't have the internet.

Linux is a great OS to learn C or C++ programming on. All the way back in 1973 Dennis Ritchie(Inventor of C) and Ken Thompson(Developer of UNIX in DEC PDP-7 assembly, and the inventor of the B language) together rewrote UNIX in C on (I believe) a DEC PDP 11 - Making UNIX portable to many other systems which had a C compiler available.
Linux as well as many other OSs and System software are also written primarilly in C.

"C all-in-one desk reference for Dummies" by Dan Gookin is good for learning C, but if you need more help with C consider "C for Dummies" by Dan Gookin.
I learned C with C all-inOne Desk Reference for Dummies and various reference books and man pages. There is a little errata mainly typos in the C all in One Desk Reference book but they are all well documented on the authors website and its easy to scribble them in the book.

NOTE TO PEOPLE NEW TO LINUX:
If you are new to Linux and want to keep Windows with no risk of loosing any files I recomend buying a one or two yearold computer - maybee used and then installing Linux as the only OS on that computer. Laptops that are a year or so old work good usually.
Then when you get used to Linux you can, if you wish, do a full install or set up a dual boot computer.

I used to juggle Windows 98 and Redhat on a 4GB hard drive, and to less success Windows 98 and Mandrake (Required to much RAM).

Linux is becoming easier to install than ever before. I remember having to configure my printer and soundcard from the terminal. Now most, if not all, of the devices are configured automatically.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the introduction to Linux I was looking for, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I was looking for an easy intro to Linux to see if I wanted to get deeper into the OS and this fit the bill. The included DVD was very helpful for getting a hands-on feel for the different distributions. Worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not really for Dummies. There's a lot of advanced information here., June 27, 2013
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
It's well written and comes with a disk loaded with several Linux programs and more information. Non computer friends of mine have read through portions though and felt it was far too advanced for them. In my opinion you need to be pretty proficient in computer speak to understand a lot of it. That's OK though. Anyone interested in Linux probably has, or better have, the necessary background.

2.0 out of 5 stars ALREADY OUTDATED, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
Perhaps this volume, with its 2010 copywrite date, bears testimony to how fast computerese falls behind the times. I got the book to get an intro to Linux and it did serve this purpose. But then my problems came when I web-loaded the latest Ubuntu distribution and found that the current version was drastically changed from that included in the book. The new Ubuntu has a different desktop and different user features. Linux All-in-One got me into Linux, but after that I've had to find my own way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and very helpful, June 21, 2013
Any book that is entitle "For Dummies," is extremely helpful. Even after reading the entire book, it is a great reference tool and offers great troubleshooting answers for Linux OS'es and servers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start, May 7, 2013
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I've always wanted to learn Linux. This is my first step to getting rid of MS and Apple. Free Operating systems, and programs for life. Whats not to like? You need to download a bunch of add-ons, but they are free too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful After Linux Class, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I took a Fedora 18 Linux class, had purchased this book to get up to speed a bit before class started. It was helpful, to a degree, demonstrating different Linux flavors. But the enclosed DVD and instructions required knowledge of hard drive partitions which I didn't have, and assumed use of a computer with Windows already installed. I was afraid to damage my computer so I stopped. My class installed Linux on flash drives and external hard drives, so much easier! Avoids concerns about overwriting my hard drive or losing data. Now I've got some classroom experience with Linux and external hard drives (wow!) I can use book and DVD to broadened my experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed information, June 14, 2014
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
As of this writing, the book is slightly out of date, but contains much information essential to feeling comfortable with a Linux machine. One of the subjects not covered adequately is why we need tens of different versions of Linux. The book is easy to read and the explanations are cogent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape plan for when MS no longer supports my XP!, January 26, 2014
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
April 2014 comes, Ms no longer supports XP; what to do? My plan is to shrink MS on my harddrive and add Linux. I already have the office version (Open Office) and it works well. This book tells me how to do everything and provides resources should there be problems early on. Gives me choices of which Linux distribution I want and choices for the desktop. Everything I need is on the enclosed DVD. Emmett Dulaney writes in clear concise language I need and covers it all. Book uses lots of screenshots and provides detailed step-by-step setup instructions. I like a good Index at the back of a book and Emmett gives me 30 pages. Rich Tennant comes thru with some good cartoons. I am glad I selected this over the other choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good information in a nutshell., February 12, 2013
This review is from: Linux All-in-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I needed something to help get me started using the Linux operating system and this book seems to be the ticket. It covers a wide range of topics and although it doesn't go into great detail on some items, it's still a wealth of information.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Linux All-in-One For Dummies
Linux All-in-One For Dummies by Emmett Dulaney (Paperback - September 14, 2010)
$39.99 $26.66