Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on September 15, 2013
The first couple chapters are, what is linux, what are the different distro's and desktop environments. (GNOME/KDE/UNITY, etc)
All of these I already knew, but if you are new to Linux, they give you a good idea of how it is different. Then it goes into power user, bash scripting/terminal use, then systems network admin topics are covered. If you are 100% new to Linux than this book will be over your head past the second or third chapter. You will basic Shell scripting, editors such as Vi, setting up Red Hat/CentOS server's and securing them with SELinux. (Secure Linux) The Scripting, Secure Linux, and setup of servers on Red Hat directly link to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux certification exams. This is great, but should have been more clear on the name of the book. If you want a more general Linux book, look for Linux Fundamentals, I also have that and it not distro specific.
on April 24, 2013
I recently took a Linux class and bought this book as an aid for the class. I've bought many of the bible books from Wiley & Sons and felt like this was my best option to learn Linux. The book starts off with some basic history of Linux and where you can go to and download versions of the Linux Operating System to use. I recommend doing this. The best way to learn from this book is to have the OS running as you read so you can follow long with the examples. For example, in chapter 2 you will learn where to download the OS and how to go about installing it on your computer. There where many examples in the book on how to go about doing this. Personally, I keep the OS installed on my flash drive. This way if I mess up the OS all I have to do is reboot from the flash drive and a my mistakes are erased.

Overall, I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to get in to Linux, studying Linux, or if you just need reference material.
on January 16, 2014
Let me start off by saying I am not an IT pro.
Im a 18 years + designer with a lot of IT know how.

With that said, this is bang on publishing, proper tech knowledge in print. More and more technical demands are being placed on the artist and designer, 'knowing' will put you ahead of your peers.

Took me from a designer with a lot of IT knowledge to mastering CentOS and RH.
Add that to the bag of skills, and professionally, now I know what the hell I'm talking about.

It is not all encompassing, for instance, if you want to use PureFTPD instead of VSFTPD then this book won't help you. Stick to the 'standard' packages and you will be fine.

This will get you to the level you need to be at so you can take on more advanced, lesser known information. There are many pockets of knowledge out there that will allow greater capabilities and security...But you have to have a foundation and this book provides that.

The #1 rule with this book is use it with your system.... you can't learn properly without real life, situational practice.

Never stop learning....
on January 13, 2014
This book was given to me as a gift. It is an excellent source of info if you are using Red Hat Enterprise Server or one of it's derivatives like CentOS or Oracle Linux. I give it four stars because I don't think that Fedora is a good distro for people that are new to Linux to learn on. I have attempted to use Fedora in the past and I have had to many problems with it. This is not surprising since it is an ongoing beta project anyways. I won't get into details. You only needed Fedora for the GUI stuff in the book. So, no big deal really. The info being taught in the book (GUI included) is still excellent. My personal experience with Linux have caused me to decide that Red Hat and it's derivatives are the best Linux Servers. For the desktop I think that Debian/Ubuntu and their derivatives make the best Linux desktop distro's. Debian is pretty different from Red Hat and if you are serious about Linux, you will really need to know both. I would recommend this book to anybody with no previous Linux experience that wants to learn Red Hat Enterprise server administration. If you are interested in Desktop Ubuntu/Mint, etc. you might wanna look elsewhere. That's just my feelings about that though.

One more thing. I have the Kindle version of this book. This has worked well for me since I am running my Linux distros in VMWare Player. I can have them both up next to each other side by side as I study.
on January 19, 2014
I am using this book as a supplement to another book that I am using to study for the RHCSA/RHCE. I'm only 130+ pages into this & I'm glad I purchased it. This book takes you from scratch, assuming you know nothing about Linux, and takes you all the way through RHCE knowledge. The author is RHCE certified & used to administer RHCE exams; he also teaches RHCE courses.

The book contains clearly written examples & explanations. The sequence of material is very well chosen & you get an intuitive understanding of Linux. (I have skimmed ahead.) The biggest advantage to this book over other Linux books is that the Chris Negus has a teaching background & so his explanations & overall presentation feels more flowing & intuitive than what you'll see in other books. I chose this book over another Linux book for that reason.
on October 5, 2014
I give it 3 stars because the book only tells about rpm distros and very little about .deb distros. If you're using red hat fedora etc you will find it quite usefull however what i believe is that any book having a name linux bible should not be keen on just one distro. If so the name must be red hat bible...
on October 5, 2014
This really is a great resource and my "go-to" book for Linux. I just purchased the Kindle edition and I was upset to discover the table of contents only lists out the parts of the book - no chapters or sections. I can still use the search feature, but it makes learning about a topic frustrating to find.
on February 25, 2013
I found the book to be comprehensive with good examples. It fully explains and gives examples of the working of the Linux system and commands. I'm using this to build a Linux business server. It is geared toward Red Hat and Fedora Linux, but has only a few references to Ubuntu. Fortunately, most of the discussions are pertinent to Ubuntu.
on January 20, 2013
I needed to become proficient quickly in the installation, administration and configuration of a fedora Linux workstation, this book helped me achieve that goal. Coming from a 100% windows back ground, I was able to translate my windows experience into useful Linux knowledge. I now have a workstation that accesses network file resources, uses network user authentication and have a fully functional chemoinformatics modeling workstation with multiple commercial and open source software packages installed and operational. This book will definitely be near me while I make my transition into the world of Linux.
on March 12, 2014
I've actually taken Linux before, a long time ago. But when reviewing it, I wanted to start completely from the beginning to make sure my fundamental knowledge was strong. Just doing the first 4 chapters, I learned so much I never learned when I actually took a class. The book is real great as a reference for knowledge and it's great if you're a self study.

I do realize that some don't like the fact they don't dive deep into other distros outside of Red Hat/Gnome but to be honest, going through the entire book, you will understand enough to adapt to the differences between the others.