Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 15, 2013
The first couple chapters are, what is linux, what are the different distro's and desktop environments. (GNOME/KDE/UNITY, etc)
All of these I already knew, but if you are new to Linux, they give you a good idea of how it is different. Then it goes into power user, bash scripting/terminal use, then systems network admin topics are covered. If you are 100% new to Linux than this book will be over your head past the second or third chapter. You will basic Shell scripting, editors such as Vi, setting up Red Hat/CentOS server's and securing them with SELinux. (Secure Linux) The Scripting, Secure Linux, and setup of servers on Red Hat directly link to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux certification exams. This is great, but should have been more clear on the name of the book. If you want a more general Linux book, look for Linux Fundamentals, I also have that and it not distro specific.
on April 24, 2013
I recently took a Linux class and bought this book as an aid for the class. I've bought many of the bible books from Wiley & Sons and felt like this was my best option to learn Linux. The book starts off with some basic history of Linux and where you can go to and download versions of the Linux Operating System to use. I recommend doing this. The best way to learn from this book is to have the OS running as you read so you can follow long with the examples. For example, in chapter 2 you will learn where to download the OS and how to go about installing it on your computer. There where many examples in the book on how to go about doing this. Personally, I keep the OS installed on my flash drive. This way if I mess up the OS all I have to do is reboot from the flash drive and a my mistakes are erased.

Overall, I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to get in to Linux, studying Linux, or if you just need reference material.
on January 16, 2014
Let me start off by saying I am not an IT pro.
Im a 18 years + designer with a lot of IT know how.

With that said, this is bang on publishing, proper tech knowledge in print. More and more technical demands are being placed on the artist and designer, 'knowing' will put you ahead of your peers.

Took me from a designer with a lot of IT knowledge to mastering CentOS and RH.
Add that to the bag of skills, and professionally, now I know what the hell I'm talking about.

It is not all encompassing, for instance, if you want to use PureFTPD instead of VSFTPD then this book won't help you. Stick to the 'standard' packages and you will be fine.

This will get you to the level you need to be at so you can take on more advanced, lesser known information. There are many pockets of knowledge out there that will allow greater capabilities and security...But you have to have a foundation and this book provides that.

The #1 rule with this book is use it with your system.... you can't learn properly without real life, situational practice.

Never stop learning....
on January 13, 2014
This book was given to me as a gift. It is an excellent source of info if you are using Red Hat Enterprise Server or one of it's derivatives like CentOS or Oracle Linux. I give it four stars because I don't think that Fedora is a good distro for people that are new to Linux to learn on. I have attempted to use Fedora in the past and I have had to many problems with it. This is not surprising since it is an ongoing beta project anyways. I won't get into details. You only needed Fedora for the GUI stuff in the book. So, no big deal really. The info being taught in the book (GUI included) is still excellent. My personal experience with Linux have caused me to decide that Red Hat and it's derivatives are the best Linux Servers. For the desktop I think that Debian/Ubuntu and their derivatives make the best Linux desktop distro's. Debian is pretty different from Red Hat and if you are serious about Linux, you will really need to know both. I would recommend this book to anybody with no previous Linux experience that wants to learn Red Hat Enterprise server administration. If you are interested in Desktop Ubuntu/Mint, etc. you might wanna look elsewhere. That's just my feelings about that though.

One more thing. I have the Kindle version of this book. This has worked well for me since I am running my Linux distros in VMWare Player. I can have them both up next to each other side by side as I study.
on January 19, 2014
I am using this book as a supplement to another book that I am using to study for the RHCSA/RHCE. I'm only 130+ pages into this & I'm glad I purchased it. This book takes you from scratch, assuming you know nothing about Linux, and takes you all the way through RHCE knowledge. The author is RHCE certified & used to administer RHCE exams; he also teaches RHCE courses.

The book contains clearly written examples & explanations. The sequence of material is very well chosen & you get an intuitive understanding of Linux. (I have skimmed ahead.) The biggest advantage to this book over other Linux books is that the Chris Negus has a teaching background & so his explanations & overall presentation feels more flowing & intuitive than what you'll see in other books. I chose this book over another Linux book for that reason.
on October 5, 2014
I give it 3 stars because the book only tells about rpm distros and very little about .deb distros. If you're using red hat fedora etc you will find it quite usefull however what i believe is that any book having a name linux bible should not be keen on just one distro. If so the name must be red hat bible...
on October 5, 2014
This really is a great resource and my "go-to" book for Linux. I just purchased the Kindle edition and I was upset to discover the table of contents only lists out the parts of the book - no chapters or sections. I can still use the search feature, but it makes learning about a topic frustrating to find.
on January 13, 2015
I think this book is solid. The book covers every major area of Linux administration from configuring the UI to installing Linux, to all the various other tasks you might need to do as a sysadmin or a power user. It also does this assuming that you know nothing about Linux, and so it provides a good working foundation for further study, and most of the tasks presented can prepare someone for taking the RHCSA or RHEL exams, although the author does stress that this book isn't SPECIFICALLY geared to passing the tests, so I would get other source materials before trying to pass those tests! The chapters are tabbed so it's easy to navigate to the subject you want to review, and so it works as a nice reference book as well.

So, why did I give it 4 stars instead of 5? Well, there are 2 reasons, and NEITHER are the authors fault.

1) While this book does give you a window into every major area of system administration, you have to understand that there are something like 50,000 commands in Linux (including modifiers) so even a book like this can't teach you EVERYTHING about Linux. This is just a good starting platform for further study, but don't worry, it does give you enough to get going and accomplish the major tasks you'll face on a job site! I does stand on it's own, and I'm enjoying going through it.

2) The second gripe I have is a bit more serious, and that's the fact the author chose to focus on Fedora v21 (because it is upstream from Red Hat, and thus it is the "bleeding edge" of Red Hat technology), but I actually ended up using CentOS with it (which is downstream from Red Hat, free and stable) because Fedora v21 had SO many problems working inside a Virtual Machine that I just couldn't get everything to work. Fedora just plain didn't work right under Parallels 10 for Mac, so I decided to run it under VMWare Fusion, and while it did work better under VMWare, I spent about 4 hours just trying to get it to work like the book, and without luck, and I'm not a slouch when it comes to googling things and trying to fix linux problems. The fixes didn't work either! *Faceplam*.

Yes, I tried going on the Internet, reading technical fixes, adding repositories, etc. but after fighting with a "bleeding edge" OS for several hours just so I could get it to work with the book, I gave up. I fell back to CentOS (which is based almost entirely on the Red Hat source code) and although the book isn't totally geared for CentOS, CentOS is essentially the "freeware" version of Red Hat, so it works just FINE with that OS. The UI is different, but since most of the book is focused on the command line, it's easy to work with the book.

So, the moral of the story is: Use CentOS 7.0 with this book if you don't want major headaches to deal with, and as long as you do that, this book will be a great resource!. No, Using CentOS won't teach you how to fix the Fedora problems, but if you are just LEARNING Linux for the first time, save yourself the headaches with Fedora v21!

Solid 4 stars.
on July 19, 2015
You're better off getting the Unix and Linux System Administration handbook. The only thing this offers is some good detail on SELinux. The paper is so cheap the wind will rip easily with a strong gust of wind.
on June 28, 2013
Very good read...a well-written manual with the clarity one expects from the eighth edition of the work. The writing is conversational and very easy for even a new-comer to follow. The Table of Contents and Index are well constructed, so it's easy to go to parts of the book for help with specific topics. Well worth the cost, which is very reasonable when compared with the costs of many high-quality technical books. Thank you, Negus & Bresnahan!