Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

on March 11, 2002
I have bought many Linux books in an effort to learn how
to use Linux commands. Well, after months of use, I can
confidently recommend this one above the others. It covers
just about everything there is to know to use Linux commands.
The arrangement of the book is good and it offers many examples.
Also, it covers commands and utilities glossed over by competing
books. For instance, check the make command page for its usage. The ZIP utility, safedelete and others are covered as well. This is the book I find most useful for command reference.
Highly recommended! If you choose only one command reference book, this is the one to buy for the newbie and experienced user alike.
on January 27, 2002
There are several books like this one available, but I think this one is the best. It is easy to read, documents the commands and switches pretty thoroughly, and has several examples for each command that demonstrate the use of the command with its switches.
This book won't teach you Linux, but once you have Linux installed and running, this book will be invaluable.
on January 1, 2003
This valuable little book has saved my sanity numerous times. It has quick and easy to understand answers and gives common examples of how to use various commands. It is like a linux cheatsheet. Anyone can use the Linux GUI, but only a master knows the command line.
on January 18, 2002
If you keep one Linux book next to your machine then this has *got* to be it.
This is not a tutorial book and it is most useful to those with at least an initial familiarity with Linux. 'Instant Reference' means just that, and on that score, this book delivers big time !
The book is not written in an archaic alphabetical order but a much more useful, logical order grouping related commands together - tremendously practical. The 'At a Glance' section at the beginning of each chapter tells you exactly how to perform the most common tasks. After that, after some tips and explanations of the area of Linux the chapter covers,it launches into a plain English explanation of each command under that topic *and* what all the extensions do, as well as associated system files that are affected.
If you are ever sitting at your Linux terminal and wondering how do I do 'x' (which covers most Linux users, most days) then this book is a must have because you simply reach over open it up and it tells you. I have had some pretty good Linux books but if I had to keep one, the decision would be easy.
on August 9, 2001
I love the arrangement of the book. There were times when I forgot a particular command to perform a certain task, and this book help me figure out which one could help. If it was organized by command name in alphabetical order, I would not buy it; since I would rather "man" when I remember how to spell out the command. On the other hand, if it could include a paramter list for loadable modules of NIC or SCSI, it would be more helpful. In short, I think this book is quite good for reference.
on May 27, 2004
This book is devoid of many of the basic commands, such as "route".
Not only that, but the commands are organized into cateogories, rather than alphabetically. Once inside the category, the commands are alphabetical, but that helps little when searching for the commands in a hurry or just checking on the arguments and syntax. A lot of people would argue that such a book isn't necessary when you can type man "command" or use the --help switch, but the man pages are often semi-cryptic, and a little extra explanation goes a long way. Unfortunately, this isn't the book to get you there.
on November 2, 2003
This book is missing many commands. Dont buy it! They should publish it with balnk pages so you can write in very important commands. Examples are pvscan - lvscan ect... Do not buy this book thinking it contains all linux commands because it dosent!
on May 24, 2001
I bought this book in hoping it would help me with the problems I'd like to know on how to figure out certain things in Linux. Well once I received this book and started to read it, I was really disappointed in it. It focuses more on commands when you're not using a GUI. At one point in the book the author suggests he prefers the text commands over a GUI as in a GUI interface is suppose to be complicated and makes things slow?? I think not!! You have a GUI because you want to make things simpler for the beginner and the user. How else would they make the transition from windows to Linux? Of course linux isn't easy! The reason I got this book is because I'd like to get to know my way around the GUI such as KDE or GNOME but also the text commands would definitely be helpful too and not live with out, but thats the only thing this book includes are commands just as the title reads. I want to know what is what, where do I look for things etc. A problem I have with the book is that it doesn't give much examples on situations, it doesn't explain clearly on how to install and compile programs something thats a must there hardly is a section covering that in depth or should I say at all? I even think the Help files at are far superior than what this book has! This book is more for someone who doesn't want to use GUI interface because it's obviously what the author is trying to give the impression that a GUI isn't good. So my suggestion for everyone and including myself who is starting with linux is keep looking for a good linux book and read as much as you can on the net and a good place is too!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse