4.0 out of 5 stars Will get you started.
Overall this book will give you a nice grasp of the CLI and how things work. It helped me a ton and i still reference it from time to time.

Published on July 27, 2012 by John Doe1022

2.0 out of 5 stars An OK book.
I am taking some Linux classes in school. I purchased this because I struggle a lot with Bash scripting and I wanted to supplement my text books with a book that focused on scripting.

Published on October 13, 2012 by Jay

4.0 out of 5 stars Will get you started., July 27, 2012
This review is from: Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible, Second Edition (Paperback)

If you are getting this book solely for shell scripting, a few topics are either not mentioned or touched on lightly. A example is math, for floating point math they use `bc`, a external command that may not be installed by default. which is a nice tool and will get the job done, but they show you a few good examples of how to use it then briefly talk about the (( )) internal command(later on in the book) which can do the same thing with less effort. Some other topics you won't see is parameter expansion, why [[ should be used over [ (test) in most cases, command grouping, subshell execution & process substitution. Finding information on any of those aren't hard, just not in the book. That plus the typos, some of which may prevent the command from executing correctly, prevents me from giving five stars.

I would and have recommended the book to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars An OK book., October 13, 2012
Jay (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews

The book itself is easy enough to follow and has does a good job of explaining the various commands. Where it falls short though are the amount of sample scripts. As I said above I struggle with scripting. I have no issues at all getting around in the terminal but I don't think my brain is wired correctly to ever be proficient in writing scripts. I wish it gave more than one example for the sample scripts. The way I learn is by seeing various scripts and seeing how they perform, but when the book only gives one example of how to use a variable I believe it falls short of my needs. I wish there would be three or for different examples.

If you are a fast learner and have a natural talent for scripting then this may be the right book for you. If you are like me and need to be shown several different examples of how to use different commands and options then this will not meet your needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, October 12, 2012
Does a decent job in explaining syntax and flow but leaves out full detail that is needed for a full understanding. The title is not justified. Bible infers a complete refference where as this is like the old testament, good information and interesting but not the full story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for learning shell scripting, March 25, 2013
El Oscuro "R. Collins" (Annandale, VA United States) - See all my reviews
If you are new to Linux and want to understand its power at the command shell, this book is for you. The first few chapters cover things like the various distros, the desktop, and using the editors before delving into the BASH shell. It starts with issuing simple commands like "echo hello world" and how to write a script in the editor with some commands. Each subsequent chapter brings more involved subjects such as shell variables, command piping, do/for loops, if/then/else/case, etc. There are plenty of examples in every chapter. This book is what I turn to if I have a question about how to do something in a script.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book to learn linux shell scripting from, September 14, 2012
This is a very comprehensive book at over 800 pages. It is as easy as to follow as this type of a book can be. It is detailed and accurate. For the most part all topics are covered before they are used: only a couple of exceptions were noted and they were minor with one being covered in the next section.

The information is presented clearly with ample examples and explanations. The book is functional and practical. It also teaches a lot of commands that you probably were not aware of. With that knowledge the man pages become that much more useful.

If you want to administer a LAMP server or a 'NIX network, a lot of what you need to know is with respect to being able to do it from the command line or using scripts is in this book. I personally would never use scripts to partition drives but for doing cron jobs, checking file permissions, getting hardware info, checking and setting environmental variables, etc., this book covers the basics of how to get desired result.

I find that it is necessary to use the command line sometimes and the GUI at other times and sometimes both to get the results needed. For instance when moving the default data directory for a MySQL install to a separate drive, the easy button is to copy over the defaults directories to the new drive. Have done several installs like this with varying distros and regardless of what flags I set, or whether using a drag and drop or the command line, the permissions always get changed in the sub directories. Theory this and that, haven't found a way to make it happen in the real world. Have found using the command line to list full permissions change individual permissions and using two open terminals to compare file by file the permissions and changing the root directories using nautilus is the best/fastest way to get 100% first go positive results. Yes an active gnome install does eat 10% of resources, you can see it using top, also covered in the book, but it can be turned off so it is not important. You also have to edit config files containing environmental variables.

This book covers the tools required to do so. It is my reference book of choice for command line issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, July 17, 2014
I have several books about linux on my shelf,,and i find myself picking this on very often!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs Additional Subject Matter, May 1, 2014
I would have liked to have seen chapter questions, exams, and labs. Without these, it's hard to gauge one's knowledge of the subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars True of the title, February 4, 2012
I bought this book because the book that was recommended for my college course was horrible to learn from, so I bought this one. I don't see why colleges use such garbage when there are so many other good books out there that SHOW you how thing are suppose to be constructed. This happened to be an excellent book to get because it has several examples along with walk through notes of all the Shell Scripts.

If you are a college student I recommend this book, even if that means you have to read twice as much, it still proved to be a valuable tool to go hand in hand with a course that is based on Shell Scripting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do scripts? Get this book...., March 9, 2012
I'm a newbie penquinisto, so I needed all the help I can get. This book has been a good purchase for the information that I have been needing to write shell scripts and understand the command line. The web has lots of information but this puts all in one place and you can read it at the coffee shop and impress others!

4.0 out of 5 stars Linux, May 20, 2013
This book is what I was looking for. It is laid out very well and has many exercises using the commands, which is what I was looking for specifically.

Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible, Second Edition
Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible, Second Edition by Richard Blum (Paperback - April 12, 2011)
$49.99 $36.50