I liked this - a lot.

The goal here is to more thoroughly discuss usage of command line tools. Scott gives examples and discussion of just about everything you are likely to do at the command line.

Published on July 1, 2006 by Anthony Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Book
Its an OK book has some good things but it covers too many older priorities that aren't really command line concerns while not covering topics that are of more concern to the modern user such as scripts.
Published on October 21, 2007 by Lawrence Paul Eaton

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd like to give it four and a half - maybe four and three quarters, July 1, 2006
I liked this - a lot.

I have quibbles, yes. Throughout the book I kept thinking "but why didn't you mention this?" or "I would have been sure to add x". But when all is said and done, so what? You can't cover every single thing that everyone might want to mention - or if you did the "book" would fill a room.

The new Linux user will definitely learn a LOT here. Old hands at the Linux command line may find it slightly less valuable, but if you are coming to Linux from other Unixes, this is a handy and concise reference that will make you more aware of the Linux differences.

Scott has done a great job here and deserves applause.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONE Best Book to Buy (if you're moving to Linux from Windows), November 30, 2006
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
Frankly, the GUIs you'll encounter in Ubuntu, SuSE, etc., are so good that you may not often have any recourse to the command line. When you do, however, this is the book that you want. Yeah, I know, you can buy some fat distro-specific tome for not much more money, but the free documentation provided by *many* linux communities is already good enough. Command line stuff is another matter, especially if you are new at it. Give Granneman's book a chance and make the command line work the way you want it to work. (By the way, I read the "Phrasebook" slowly--just a chapter every other day or so; easy to master in less than a month.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect, September 5, 2007
John "john8791" (WALCOTT, IA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
I could not have found a better compact Linux reference book. O'Reilly's "Linux in a Nutshell" is very comprehensive, but it gives very few examples and you pretty much have to know what you're looking for since it is organized alphabetically. "Linux Phrasebook" is organized by tasks such as "Finding Stuff" and gives practical examples. This book was money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for Windows users, June 3, 2007
MattK (Central Florida, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
I am picking up some Linux knowledge having been a database admin on Windows for many years. While concise, this book gives some explanation and context to commands/operations rather than simply acting as a copy of the built in documentation. More verbose than a "pocket guide", it is still quick enough to use as "how do I do this now" guide, rather than a chapter-by-chapter research book. This will likely be the most used book in my experimentations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Linux User's Must, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
What a great little book!!! It is chock full of great information that can be used by novices and experts. I provided it to students of a class I taught and everyone thought it was great. This is the book that remains on the desk on not some corner of the room collecting dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 6, 2006
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
I've found this book very helpful. It sits beside my computer at all times. It helps not only with Linux but with Mac OS X as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Command Line Assistance For Beginner Thru Guru, January 6, 2008
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
As a person who's first computer (PDP-10) experience was using the command line, I am familiar with the basics. However, if you have never worked via the command line before this book is a great start. Its layout is task oriented, rather than by command name. This allows the reader to quickly find out how to do things rather than just reading what a command does. Each task is accompanied by examples and and detailed explanations. At the same time the author also provides information about what is happening "behind the curtain". A command line veteran will find this book a source of new information as well as an excellent reference guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suggested reading to anyone who wants to use Linux, September 10, 2007
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
I know what most people are thinking,"why can't I just use the GUI in Linux to do what I want? There is no reason to learn the command line." I here it from my students all the time. Every time I bring up command line in class I hear a groan pass over the classroom.
Most people do not know the power command line gives them in using a computer be it Linux, OS X, or even the hated Windows. This book helps with two of them the Linux and the OS X for the Windows I suggest using Powershell and it will give you the same abilities as the ones built in to Linux but I digress.
This book gives new people and intermediate people the commands to use and how to use them in a easy to follow format with lots of examples that actually work, compared to some books. The book is designed with Ubuntu in mind but worked just fine with my Novell SUSE 10.2.
The book was not dry reading and was somewhat entertaining with some of the examples. It is definitely suggested reading for anyone who wishes to learn Linux because that "GUI" stuff is not always available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily use, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
I picked this up for a new job that is linux intensive. This is a must have if you spend 8 hours a day on a command line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, has most commands I've needed to look up, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Linux Phrasebook (Paperback)
Easy to understand, has most commands I've needed to look up over the last few weeks as I come up to speed on helping to manage our Linux servers. Only deducted 1 star is it is a bit old and the author has a new one coming out soon (April 2013 I believe).

Linux Phrasebook
Linux Phrasebook by Scott Granneman (Paperback - June 22, 2006)
$24.99 $18.27