ASUS Eee PC 1000 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB Solid State Drive, 20 GB Eee Storage, Linux, 6 Cell Battery) Fine Ebony
Used & New from: $75.00
Linux netbook Can someone please advise with respect to this Linux netbook: does it provide a graphical interface so that I don't have to type commands. Especially, when it comes to adding this machine to my network, do I have to edit etc files?
Also, does it come with some sort of spreadsheet software such that I could capture some information during the day and then move it into Excel at night?

Thanks in advance.
asked by leo-iii on November 30, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
Nearly every modern version of linux, including those on the eeepc, aspire one, etc, comes with a fully graphical user interface and a full office suite which is compatible with MS office files (including excel).

From wikipedia (eee pc article):
"The base Linux system boots in 20-22 seconds,[54] substantially faster than the boot time for an installation of Windows XP on the same hardware[55] On top of this, the Eee PC runs a custom tab-based interface and uses IceWM as the default window manager.
Forty bundled software applications include OpenOffice.org, Mozilla Firefox, Skype,[56] Tux Paint and other educational entertainment software, E-mail, and Internet radio applications, Google Docs and Wikipedia look-up tool.[57]"

Check out this article from computerworld for a good rundown of the advantages of the linux-based eeepc 1000:
blogs.computerworld.com/real_life_linux_the_asus_eee_pc_1000
Nick answered on December 7, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If i had a folder on my XP laptop at home, can I setup a linux eeepc to automatically sync with it when I walk into my house and they network? How? I only know windows.

Thanks.
E. Fuller answered on January 8, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
System76 sells a netbook (the Starling) that comes preloaded with Ubuntu's Netbook Remix 9.04, a Linux operating system that is customized specially for a netbook. I've been very happy with the Starling I bought in June 2009. You can see my review of it at: http://www.janehadley.net/Starling_Review/starling_review.html
Badger718 answered on July 15, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›