Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Lion King Trilogy (Eight-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on November 28, 2011
We all know the movies are great and I know there are plenty of reviews on the case itself. I still decided to create a review so Disney or whoever, if information like this actually makes it anywhere, that the case is horrible. I don't like it personally, but the biggest disappointment was it didn't even come properly packaged. There is a slit for each movie and some discs weren't even in a slit by themselves, they were next to another movie. Luckily nothing was damaged. The black string that is suppose to help pull out the drum wasn't behind the drum, so I had to carefully pull the drum out. I guess no big deal, but it's someone's job to make sure the equipment is packaged correctly so nothing breaks and someone failed to do their job.
on November 11, 2011
IMPORTANT: Don't throw away your Two-Disc Platinum Edition DVD (released in 2003), this version doesn't includes the extra song/scene "The Morning Report" released back then in the main disc, so keep your old copy!

Be aware that I am rating this product 3 stars because of packaging and lack of Disney's professionalism, not because of the movie itself, The Lion King will ALWAYS be one of my favorite movies of all times, no doubt, and I also loved part 2 and 1 1/2, but if you're only interested in the first movie, please value your money and go buy the cheaper editions which are exactly the same.

I got this as a birthday present, and I AM happy about it because I love the movies as I said before, but the packaging is awful. Yes, the craved box is pretty and the drum is cute even though both are a waste of space and materials, but where the discs come it's just a VERY fragile and lousy carton container. Sure, I can handle with it, I'm 24 y/o, I am careful with my belongings, but a kid will lose, break and/or tear apart this version in the blink of an eye, it is delicate indeed.

As for questioning Disney's professionalism... this version made me did it. I'm a native Spanish speaking person, and when I was a kid, watching movies in English with Spanish subtitles helped me learn a lot; I'm sure there's a lot of people that does it the other way around, and here's where my complain takes place: the subtitles have TYPOS! Even the Karaoke in Spanish, and not only typos, but the words don't match at all in about 10% of the whole first film! Seriously, Disney? Publishing a classic like this with typos and random fills that don't make sense? It really annoyed me, I felt like they didn't take the Spanish version seriously.
on October 9, 2011
The Movies:

I was very happy to see a change with the DVD layout of The Lion King in this release. The original DVD release some years ago came with a very crowded menu (which you could only reach after a little 'ride' along with Zazu), had edited out some small parts of the movie itself (Simba's belch while he's with Timon and Pumbaa, which makes it confusing when Timon says "Nice one, Simba"), and had added in things like the "Morning Report" song (which could only be omitted and replaced with the original scene by exploring the 'settings' option before starting the movie.)

Thankfully, this release has seen fit to streamline the menu, making it beautiful to look at and easy to navigate. It also returned that little omitted burp, and replaced "Morning Report" with the original pouncing scene. I have heard about more changes that were made in the original DVD release, but I have yet to compare those with this new Blu-Ray release.

Along with these tweaks, both the DVD and Blu-Ray discs seem to run much smoother than the original DVD releases for all of the movies. There are no 'hiccups' or pauses between scene switches, which were a problem with the original DVDs.

I definitely give the discs themselves a 5 star rating. It is the packaging that brings them together that I give this item three stars on, since its main purpose is to be a "Collectors Item".

The Packaging:

Because of the cost of buying DVDs individually (The TLK 3D Blu-Ray Combo pack, and two normal Blu-Ray Combo packs), this trilogy set definitely helps shave a bit off the total. However, it seems you pay a bit of a price for the discount in terms of packaging.

The box itself is pretty nice, about as sturdy as I thought it would be. It would have been even nicer if it contained a magnet or some other way of keeping the lid closed, though. There is no way to keep the front flap from hanging open at all times other than sliding it into your DVD shelf sideways. That said, it still looks nice.

The drum inside that holds the DVDs is a little flimsy. You can accidentally punch the top in very easily (I know, I did.) Besides that, the outside simply looks like a printed sheet glued on the front of the cardboard drum form.

I am not a fan of the folded paper DVD holder. It tore when we were trying to discern which DVD we needed to put into the player, because of how difficult it is to see the DVDs inside.

Disney honestly could have done a lot better with this item.

Since I do not know of any plans for the re-release of The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride, and The Lion King 1 1/2 on individual Blu-Ray combo packs, fans may have to put up with the not-so-user-friendly packaging of this set to get all three movies on Blu-Ray and DVD.
on January 12, 2016
Disappointed. Probably not too important for most but bought this because German was listed as one of the languages. German and Dutch are not the same. The languages available are Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and English.
on October 5, 2011
bought this because of the price for what you got was great all three movies in blu-ray. The out side box is great looks really nice but when you open it up it is just a cheap cardboard DVD accordion case. Love the set, Love the price would have given higher rating had the packaging been better.
on October 20, 2011
A nice DVD set but quite frankly it's a bit overpriced for what it is. The packaging is cheap and flimsy. Getting the regular edition rather than this special edition makes more sense and saves dollars.
on October 17, 2012
This is a nice set for lion king fans but the 3d is just not that great there are only a couple good 3d scene and the rest of the move just slightly better to the same as if I up-converted a 2d to 3d.
on October 10, 2011
it really is a great value for the whole set, but it comes in a huge box with the discs in a cheap accordion case inside a stupid drum... what am i to do with the discs now? very poor design. movies NEED a case...
on October 5, 2011
I was glad I could get the Lion King triolgy for my son, so he could enjoy these great movies When I got the package, the outside was fine, it wasn't until I opened the drum was when I got dissapointed. It's pretty being help by papaer and can slip out easily and possibly get scratched. I advise to wait for the other movies to get realesed.
on November 5, 2011
The original film is great, the transfer is also good - The film on it's own is a 5 star.
The other films don't quite live up to the original, but are fun none the less.

What is disappointing with this set and hence only the 3 stars
1) The lack of digital copies for the latter two films if you see the Toy Story or Cars sets, all films in the set came with digital copies - This might not be an issue to everyone, but in this digital age, putting the films on a iPad et al, is very useful for trips.
2) The way the discs were packaged, they were `clumped together' and sitting vertically in the `drum'. Not only could this be damaging to the discs over time, this was a complete waste of space.