5.0 out of 5 stars Fun - Add Switches to Embed in an Oval
Published on April 29, 2012 by Beabea

3.0 out of 5 stars Expands the play value of the Lionel train sets
It is expensive for what you get but it does allow you to have different layouts, especially if you have multiple train sets with more track than one set provides. My grandkids were impressed with the layout I built from three train sets..
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun - Add Switches to Embed in an Oval, April 29, 2012
Beabea (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
We started with a basic set that had an oval. At some point, the oval got boring so we added the figure 8. I don't know why, but it is fun to watch a train go around on a figure 8. The Fastrack criss cross track works well and trains do not derail when going across it. You get 4 curves, 4 five inch straights and the 90 degrees criss cross track. You can buy these separately for about the same cost so you are not really saving much in buying the track pack.

Around the same time that we bought the figure 8 track, we moved from having our set on the living room floor to putting it on a 4' x 8' plywood table in the basement. From there, we started adding switches to create an oval around the figure 8. To me, within the constraints of a 4 x 8 layout, a figure 8 embedded in an oval is about as good as it gets in terms of having an interesting layout.

My recommendation is to start with the figure 8 and then, as your finances allow, buy some switches and track to connect the sides of the figure 8 into an oval. There are two challenges with this. First, switches cost around $40 each. Second, the gap to close the side of the track by the switches is an odd length of 30.91 inches. What worked for me was to close each side of the loop with (2) 10 inch tracks + (1) 5 inch track + (3) 1.375 inch tracks + (1) 1.75 inch track. This leaves a gap of about 1/32" but there is enough flex in the track to make this work.

One last recommendation which has nothing to do with the figure 8 - to make your set more fun consider adding some 1:43 scale cars, fire engines, buses, trucks, etc. Just search Amazon for 1:43 diecast. This scale is about the same as O-gauge and you can find some fun items at a reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Packaging and Item Description are not Clear, August 13, 2013
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
Make sure to read the packaging first which indicates that this is an ADD ON pack, meaning you don't get the full figure 8 in the box (maybe you all got this right away, but I didn't). Further, it says it's an add on for your existing ready to run track. However, this isn't so. Not in my case, anyway. I tried connecting the 8 track add on to my existing ready to run Thomas set (for my son, of course). I was still missing two 10 inch straight track sections to make the full figure 8. Luckily, I also bought an activator pack to run an accessory (which I couldn't figure out how to wire, not that you probably care), which consisted of one 10 inch straight track and two 5 inch straight track sections. My point is that I STILL needed the three activator track pieces to complete the figure 8, despite the fact that the figure 8 product description says it's an add on for an existing ready to run set. Maybe some of the other ready to run sets DO have the two extra 10 inch sections of track. Thomas didn't.
Overall though, I think this is a great product. Sturdy, reliable. Very easy to set up. I took away a star because the packaging and product description are not as clear as they should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lionel track, January 9, 2009
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
Was purchased as a Christmas present for grandsons Lionel train. They loved it. Arrived on a timely basis, smooth transaction with seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, November 18, 2013
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
If you purchase a Lionel train set, purchasing a lot of extra track is a must. The figure 8's components can be used in a lot of other track geometries. It has proven to be an enjoyable purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice expension, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
Met my expectations. Item is as described.. It work just fine as an expension of actual track. I am very satisfied from product and delivery.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's FasTrack..., February 3, 2013
M. Milio (Annapolis, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
if you need to extend your basic track, this is the easy way. Matches perfectly with my existing Lionel track. Seems very expensive, but all train gear is; looking around Amazon's deal was good and shipping is always fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Additional Fun, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
This track makes the train set so much more interesting. The FasTrack also makes it so easy to set the track up and get to playing quickly!

3.0 out of 5 stars Expands the play value of the Lionel train sets, June 19, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, June 4, 2013
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
What can I say... Lionel makes good products. This was just an extension for an existing track. Nothing fancy. It is what it's described to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice addition, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack (Toy)
My son wanted more track for his Polar express train set, this did the trick. Easy to set up , my 8 year old can do it by himself. A bit pricey but what can you do

Lionel FasTrack Figure-8 Track Pack