4.0 out of 5 stars Great set and a great price
We purchased this set from the amazon lighting deal. A couple bucks off what I see it listed at now, but not a "Slammin" deal lower. I looked at the other sets, and obviously this manufacturer is the real deal, so I knew I was buying quality.

Published on December 17, 2011 by Rexburg, Idaho

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire the designer
I was thrilled to be able to get a Lionel train, G-Gauge, to share with my grandson. Together we opened the box and carefully, but excitedly, removed the train. We hurriedly put the track together and off we went. His shrills gave away his utter excitement and of course made grandpa very happy.

After two or three incidents that derailed the train, I grew very...
Published on April 7, 2012 by R. Cooper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set and a great price, December 17, 2011
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)

It arrived in perfect condition, and the kids (7,5,2) LOVE it! They were so excited to open it and get it set up right away.

Pros:
- Comes with batteries!
- Comes with enough tracks to get around our big Christmas Tree (Holiday tree for those who might be offended j)
- Remote that has the whistle and bells are pretty cool
- Easy to set up (within 10 minutes)

One con that keep it from a 5 star in my mind:

- The connectors that keep the cars together have a hard time staying coupled, especially the first and second cars. It could be that I don't know what I'm doing, but seems simple enough that it should stay on. I am just going around in a circle.

****To add to this set, it seems that the prices are crazy high. If someone is looking for a starter and wants to add in the future, make sure that you check out what you'd want over time.

Over all...seems like the best set for the best price. Looking at the chocolate cars reminds me of how much I love candy bars!

Hope this helps. It's my first review ever online.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire the designer, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)

After two or three incidents that derailed the train, I grew very frustrated with the incredibly poorly designed couplers. One needed to lift a car off the track to engage the couplers. The more this happened the more angry I became. This is NOT typical Lionel quality. This must have slipped by quality control. It is a continuing frustration that won't go away!

A second frustration is, by using just the curved track, the circle is not precise and one of more pieces of track open at the joint.

Let me repeat: THIS IS NOT THE KIND OF QUALITY I'M USED TO WITH LIONEL! Shame on the company for allowing this to go into production!

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective out of the box, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)
Huge disappointment with a warranty policy to match. Train was easy (for adults) to put together but that's where Lionel lost us. The train is supposed to both stop, and go in reverse allowing the user to take full advantage of the setup. Ours did neither of these basic functions. We bought this for my 4 year old and he couldn't understand why it didn't make sense to switch the tracks or use the loading crane when the train would just keep going
until it crashed. Batteries were fresh and installed properly.
We called the company and they stated that it is their policy to have you send back the engine and controller before replacing the original defect. That means the train/track will be completely useless of more than a month while we wait. I asked if they could just send us a new remote along with a return label for the defective one and the rep said "I can't because what if you don't send it back? Then you will have 2 remotes." I explained that I have no use for a defective remote and then she suggested that I can just "purchase a new one". It was like reasoning with a toddler. Save
your money and buy something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first whistle, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)
I bought this train set for my 2 year old toddler for Christmas!! My husband went downstairs to turn the train on while I went to retrieve our son from his room. I asked him to listen (my husband was operating the train's bell and whistle). His eyes got really big when he recognized the sound. Excitedly he yelled, "a train" and jumped out of bed, going downstairs as gas as his little feet would carry him. He passed a number of toys, not even noticing them until about 30 minutes later. It was the best thing I ever bought! The size of each car is perfect. It's sturdy enough to take a few crashes from balls too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lionel Train Wreck, December 6, 2012
M. Wilmoth (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)
It's a beautiful train. Great Detail. But it was difficult to hook the cars together and then they wouldn't stay together. It would not move or make any sounds in reverse. In forward, it made sounds but the wheels would not go around. It sat there for a minute and then turned off. I replaced all the batteries with new ones, but that didn't help. I gently pushed it along, thinking the wheels were just locked up, but that didn't help either. I sat there thinking of the great Lionel train my brother and I had when we were young. The metal engine still sits on my mantel. I then packed this plastic disaster from China up and shipped it back.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, November 16, 2012
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)
We bought this for my son's 5th bday. Pretty cool at first, but quit working after 6 months. We also soon realized that it was too difficult for my son to work by himself. The track is too difficult for him to put together and the train cars are hard to connect and hard to set on the track. It has been a big frustration for him and us.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, and cheap quality!, November 25, 2012
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)
I bought this product a year ago for Christmas for my (now) 4 year old son. We opened it up in 2011 after Christmas and played with it a few times, and stored it back in the box. Well, yesterday we were getting the train set out to circle around the Christmas tree, and I'll be blown away that the train would not start. The sounds would work fine, but when it came to actually moving around the track, it just shut off. I thought the batteries were the problem, so I got brand new batteries for both the tender (where the batteries are stored) and the remote. Once that didn't solve the problem, I did some troubleshooting via the owners manual (another useless item in this set). After checking the warranty information, it will not be covered due to it being over 1year since date of purchase. I opened up the bottom of the locomotive to check the gears. All the gears are moving fine, it's just the motor that turns the worm gear is COMPLETELY SEIZED up and therefore shuts the train down!!! I paid around $80 for the set, and now I'm finding that a new set will cost over $100 for the same thing!

Another very frustrating thing with this set is the couplers to the different cars... everywhere I read it would say for your 'standard' G-Gauge set, just back the train up and the cars should couple together. Not with this one! You have to physically pick up each car and couple them together, then realign their wheels back on the track.

Speaking of the track, it is a bit difficult to snap together, and it is a bit chinsy, with no metal on it at all... just the finest CHINESE plastic.

If I had to say anything positive about the set, it would be that it worked fine when it did work. The remote is very user-friendly for kids, and it makes the sounds of the whistle and the bells.

Bottom line: If you want a train set for your kids to play with or to go around the tree, save the money and buy something with more quality than these G-Gauge train sets from Lionel... they USE TO have a name for reputation, but now with their trains being cheaply made in China, I would buy from someone else!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth The Risk, March 8, 2013
D Darkman (New York State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)
This was bought for my kids by someone who did not read the Amazon reviews, obviously. Has the same sopping problem others complain about. The engine has just enough power to pull itself and the (blue) tender (which holds six C batteries.) Add another car, and the train slows considerably then gives up and stops after a half a minute. Add the fourth car, and the train stops after about 3 seconds. Clearly, the engine is too weak, or as someone else said, a gear inside is producing too much friction, or something.

What is more, the box was missing the tiny wire needed to use a 9.6v rechargeable battery onstead of C batteries. Sigh.

In summary, I would say that if you buy this train you have a significant chance of getting a dud, a weak engine that will affect play. Not worth the risk.

Frankly, I don't understand who this train is designed for. It looks more grown-up than a Thomas set, but it's still battery operated (ought to buy rechargeable C batteries or rechargeable 9.6v battery). But a kid will soon want a REAL Lionel set that is not mostly plastic, with a transformer, etc. So either jump up to a real train set now, or get a much better set for kids like a geotrax. Don't bother with this in-between neither-here-nor-there type of toy. My six year old is happy enough playing with it now (without adding the last two cars) but I don't see him staying pleased with it when he is eight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)
My kids love their train. It is a bit more durable than some of the other toy trains out there. My 6 year old and 3 year old love to play with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality, February 16, 2013
This review is from: Lionel Hershey's Freight G-Gauge Train Set (Toy)
The first train we received did not move. The second train could manage making 3/4 of the way around the track then would die. Nothing but frustration.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›