5.0 out of 5 stars Good starter set
This is the first O gauge train we've bought and it has been a fun experience. The remote works very well and the sounds with this set add to the fun you have while playing with it. I'm not sure how well this would work with older models since the remote changes speed in the train and the track has a set voltage etc.

The engine is quite heavy but still a...
Published 10 months ago by Aaron Oxenrider

There is a ton to like about this train set from the substantial die-cast locomotive model to the remote control system, unfortunately poor execution of the audio electronics is a major negative in this set.

Published 9 months ago by yuppiejr

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starter set, November 17, 2013
Aaron Oxenrider (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)

The engine is quite heavy but still a plastic shell. All pieces look like they are well built and will last a long time. Keep the ribbons with the engine to help with storing it and keep the smaller box for the track or it will be almost impossible to get it all back in the big box.

When in the square shape, the track looks to be the perfect size for around a tree. For other fun you would really need more track.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice starter set with a major flaw in the audio effects system., December 14, 2013
yuppiejr (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)

A couple quick observations that have not been mentioned previously - the body of the locomotive is die cast metal, not plastic, as other reviewers have stated. The paint color of the locomotive is a matte gunmetal gray-green which is subtle, not the bright forest green finish implied by the promo pictures. The caboose is no longer illuminated as it was in the 2012 version, the cars are otherwise identical with new paint schemes.

As far as basic operation, the brilliant thing about this set is that even at maximum speed around corners in either direction I could not get the train to derail, nor could my 2, 5 or 6 year old children. I seem to remember frequently derailing my father's O-gauge train sets running on traditional AC transformer controls back in the day so this is probably less likely to prone to damage as a result.

The issue with the tender car & Railsounds RC audio system occur on many levels.

First, the physical connector between the locomotive and tender that carries both power and signals from the Lionchief electronics in the locomotive are integrated into the coupler that is subject to constant mechanical stress and shifting. The wires on the locomotive end are very short and soldered to a small circuit board on a connector that swings around on the coupler arm as the train turns corners. When going around a curve (which on a beginner set oval is a LOT). When the locomotive goes around a corner the wires pull against the solder joint and, in the case of my locomotive, led to a break at the solder joint after about 2 hours of operation. There simply isn't enough slack in the connector and I expect more of these will fail after a few hours of operation. This isn't specific to this model, it's also a complaint that's shown up in the 2013 Polar Express set which shares a common locomotive-tender wiring connection.

While they worked, the audio effects themselves sucked. There are 5 audio effects included; two automatic and three user controlled. The two "automatic" effects are a "standing still" clanging/steaming effect (always on when the track has power and the train is still), and an "in motion" chuff sound that simulates the way a steam locomotive sounds in motion. There are also 3 user initiated effects via buttons on the remote, a bell (terrible fast clanging sound), whistle (only slightly less terrible than the bell, decidedly non steam locomotive sounding) and a completely strange bit of radio dialogue chatter that was lifted off of their modern diesel engine models but is totally out of place in an 1800's steam locomotive. Clearly money was saved by recycling audio samples from other sets rather than developing a decent sounding whistle or sensible dialogue for a steam engine ("All Aboard!" would have been fine on the middle button...). It would be ideal if you could also disable the standing-still sounds (or if they shut themselves off after 60 seconds) because short of powering off the track you cannot silence the train when it's not moving and the track has power, a frequent complaint from the earlier Thomas the Train remote control O-gauge sets with the same audio effect functions.

Regardless of your opinion of how the samples sound, the bigger issue is that the audio system electronics in the loco picking up horrible noise interference from the motor (probably due to the combination of a plastic motor housing and long runs of unshielded wire between the loco/tender through the previously mentioned coupler). When it works there is so much interference that the audio system is pointless anyway... not only does the noise of the train drown it out but at slow speed you hear mostly electronic buzz mixed in with the bad samples they chose to use.

Everything else about the train set is actually really nice and makes it great for a beginner, the complete failure from poor solder joints to noisy electronics playing poor samples in the Railsounds RC system is an unfortunate flaw specific to the Lionel 2013 LionChief steam locomotives with tenders (the Thomas/Percy and diesel locos like the Santa Fe Scout do not have the same issues). If the sound effects are not a huge deal it's an otherwise great starter set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toddler-approved Xmas tree accessory, December 11, 2013
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)
(This is the first train set I've ever used in my nearly forty years on this planet, so take this review with that frame of reference.)

Feeling shortchanged by our own upbringings, my wife and I had been talking about creating some Christmas traditions for our toddler and, in the back and forth, we wondered if people really did put trains around their Christmas trees (clearly our families did not and, apparently, neither did our friends' families). There was something that felt a little too Norman Rockwell/Saturday Evening Post about it, but when I saw this set pop up on a Gold Box deal I decided to pull the trigger. I'm glad I did.

Setup was quite painless, taking about 15-20 minutes from unpacking to the maiden voyage around the tree. All the instructions were straightforward and, if you've got the patience I didn't have, the Lionel site has a 20-minute video about the set. Size-wise, it fit pretty perfectly around the base and skirt of our 7-foot tree with the track in square formation; oval would've presented more problems. Operating via the remote was easy and even my 20-month-old was able to 'drive' the train and make noises with the buttons (though he got a little too vigorous with the speed dial and made me nervous that his quick spins were going to break something since the remote does feel more fragile than I'd like).

What makes this a great purchase for me is just how much my little one enjoys it. I figured it would be a nice novelty that would zip around a few times during the holidays, then go back in the box for 11 months since, really, how many times can you watch a few cars go in a circle? A lot, it turns out, if you're an excited toddler. Since I've set it up, my kid is pointing to the room with the tree and repeating "Train! Train!" and "Choo-choo!" fairly frequently. It's one of the few things that can get him to sit quietly and watch for several minutes and he's fascinated when I start pointing out details like the little people in the engine. What I'm worried about now is that I've introduced him to some kind of gateway drug to a very expensive hobby.

To be fair, I guess the above could apply to any train set, so here are some specific thoughts on this one:

The boxcar and caboose are both darker than they appear in the product picture, much more maroon than the orange/rust color shown.

Similar sets I've seen (including the older model of this one, I think) have shown features like an illuminated caboose and scenery like billboards or rail crossings. This set has none of that. The light on the front of the engine is always on, however.

As I mentioned, the remote feels more fragile than it might actually be. It's that whole thing about heft=better sense of quality, whether it's true or not.

The sounds on the train are a mixed bag. My kid loves the horn, but he also loves the conductor sounds, which are a small collection of phrases that are generated based on the train's movement or idling. Apart from the redundancy of them, the most bothersome element is just how loud they are. I may end up having to tape over the speaker on the bottom of the tender car to muffle it a bit. Some kind of volume control would be welcome, even if it were just a low-high option (if there already is one, I haven't found it). Same could be said for the chuff function which, when engaged, is so loud to me it overwhelms everything else.

Bottom line is that this set looks nice around the base of the tree and it makes my toddler happy, which is enough to make it a good purchase (though I don't know that I would've bitten at full price). I'm taking off a star for the noises, however, because they're something that's going to be a natural appeal for kids, but can easily become grating for adults at their set volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter set., December 9, 2013
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)
Great starter train set. Caught this at a special price and saved 40%. Set up and operation is quick and easy. I bought this to entertain my two year old grandson who absolutely loves trains. I almost bought the "Thomas the Train" set; but thought he would outgrow that in a very few years. He eventually will get this set when he is old enough to appreciate it. I can hardly wait for him to come for Christmas. He probably won't want to go home. I really like the realistic sounds (chugging sound, bell, whistle and engineer and dispatcher voices). I'm going to enjoy building up the scenery over the next couple of years; to make it even more realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than when I was a kid., December 17, 2013
John M St Peter (GAITHERSBURG, MD, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)
Remote control and all its features puts this train over the top. The Fastrack really looks great but really holds the track together without having to tack it down!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!!!, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)
I bought this for a Christmas gift for my son after researching all the Lionel trains. My son was so excited to receive this from Santa. After only 2 hrs of play, all of the sounds stopped. I tried to figured out what was wrong and noticed a tiny little wire sticking out of the engine coupler. I had read other reviews that the wires did not have enough slack to withstand the constant pull around curves and handling of the cars. Sure enough the other reviews were right. The soldering of the wires is not great so they come loose easily. I was really upset that I ordered this early then only to have to exchange it for another one which most likely will be returned too because am sure this will happen again. I expected so much more from the brand new Lion Chief sets from Lionel. They just rolled these out in 2013 so I should have know there were be flaws. The transformer set had nicer color cars and the caboose light up as well but I chose the Lion Chief because of the remote. Shame on Lionel, they should really do much better quality control.

UPDATE: I received a replacement set and the track was broken right out of the box and a coupler on the caboose was broke. The second set stopped working only after a few days. The locomotive started making a loud grinding noise and it stopped moving. I guessed right that I would be returning this $200 set. It really is poor quaility. Amazon made the return/exchange process easy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kids Loved it!, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)
We purchased the Pennsylvania set for our Christmas tree this year.

The oval track fits perfectly around our seven foot tree, and the size is just right.

The set up only took about 10 minutes and all the parts worked out of the box...so I have no complaints.

We run the train on carpet and it works fine...the train also seems to be able to run over pine needles and other small things that fall on the tracks.

My three year old son loves to hold the controller and operate the train... happy to say my experience has been very positive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great train!, December 13, 2013
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)
This is the highest quality piece of chinese I have ever owned... Very detailed. Works very well (although loud). And it only cost me $120. What a friggin bargain!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made electronics, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)
Although the hardware seems sturdy enough to withstand a lot of use, the electronics are poorly designed and inclined to malfunction. From a design perspective, the sound unit is too loud and can only be silenced by removing power from the track or operating an inconvenient switch on the cab. The smoke unit gets dangerously hot without fluid. Since you can't coax more than a few drops from the tube provided, leaving the unit turned off is the only practical alternative to buying a lot more fluid. I returned my unit because the engine would operate only in the reverse direction. Other reviews of this same electronics design seem to confirm that the problem is widespread.

5.0 out of 5 stars never too old for a train set, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer O-Gauge Remote Train Set (Toy)
recently my 90 year old father was visiting and mentioned when he saw my grandson's train set that he had wanted a train as a child but never received one...so i ordered this train set for him and he loves it!! he has no complaints and is planning to add more items
to his set