5.0 out of 5 stars Exeeded My Expectations
I was surprised to see the negative reviews on this product, but after reading them I think most of them were from people that did not read or understand the product description. This is a 'G' scale toy plastic train with plastic track that is battery powered and is controlled by an R/C unit.

I have not seen another 'G' scale set with better quality equipment...
Published on October 13, 2009 by Alan Holt

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Sorry!
What a cute train! I've had the train up for four days. Until yesterday, it has never made it around the track once without shutting down. It says it automatically turns off in ten minutes when not in use. Not so! I had to unplug the engine from the Coal Car and after four days had to change all batteries again.

In all fairness, last night, we changed the...
Published on November 19, 2010 by PG2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Exeeded My Expectations, October 13, 2009
Alan Holt (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)

I have not seen another 'G' scale set with better quality equipment and features for the price. The engine has built-in sound that makes a steam 'chuff' noise synchronized to the speed of the engine. It also makes a steam brake release noise when it stops. It has a bell sound and whistle that you can control from the R/C unit. It has 3 speeds in both forward and reverse directions. The speeds seems very prototypical. The speed is also momentum controlled - the train speeds up and slows down at a measured pace just like a real train. The detail on the engine is quite good for a 'toy' train.

I had the same experience with the included batteries as others - they barely moved the train for a few minutes and then conked out. I replaced the standard batteries with alkaline ones and it ran for about 10 hours before needing replacement. I have switched to a compatible 9.6v rechargeable battery that works great, is cheaper to run, and environmentally better.

The packaging states the set is for kids 4 years or older. Both my 4-1/2 year old and 2 year old can run the train with the R/C controller (and did not stop playing with it for almost a week). However they do not have the dexterity to couple the cars or snap the track together. I would guess that a 5 or 6 year old would be able to assemble and operate everything without adult help. They have banged the engine, thrown the controller, and knocked the coaches around quite a bit without any damage.

For model railroaders or anyone who wants to tinker, you could add lighting to the coaches fairly easily. I think the train would work well outdoors if you want to try creating a garden railway. I do wish Lionel would make more track options - an 'X' crossing and R/L hand switches would allow expansion to a true train layout instead of just an oval or circle.

I don't think you could find a better quality radio controlled toy 'G' scale train with so many features for such a low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gee,Happy to report,the G Gauge Works!, November 11, 2011
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)
After my bad experience with the O Gauge I was very hesitant to order another Lionel. But this is something else. With my experience with the O gauge;and since this doesn't need to be on a track to run,I decided to battery up the tender and connect it to the Locomotive and place it on the hard wood floor,figuring that if this works,THEN I'll assemble the tracks and put on the other two cars. I grabbed the remote control pushed the on-off switch to ON and turned the Directional switch to half way forward....nothing happened...then I remembered I'd forgotten to put batteries in the RC. Turned it over and as you could probably guess,when I put in that second battery the train and tender shot forward (The switch was STILL on and the direction STILL to half way forward)LOL. I continued with the assembly of the tracks and the addition of the other two cars. I could see that if you don't have the tracks setup on a hard level surface you're gonna have problems with train disconnects and possibly track disconnects too,so watch out for these possible problems. I decided after a few hours of having fun that I should investigate the idea of 9.6 VDC rechargeable batteries. Id heard others,here, mention a few batteries that wouldn't fit so I decided to find out what would fit. Called Lionel customer service; open 9-5 EST @ 586-949-4100 Amy there said they have listed two such batteries,BOTH Radio Shack,one is 23-342 a 1000 mAh Ni-Cad and the other is 23-432 a 1600 mAh NMH. I did two searches on the Radio Shack website. The 23-342 came up with nothing;the 23-432 resulted in a 23-1171 which turned out to be the 1600 mAh battery and the charger. When I manage to get over to a Radio Shack I'll pick up the pair and report back as to: if and how well they work.

Battery update: I bought the 23-1171 @ Radio Shack since I can't add a picture of what it looks like,here's a link [...] WHOA does this thing FLY NOW! After charging the 10 hrs.the package recommended I checked the DC voltage on the battery pack it was 11.03.
So if you want one that fits and comes with a charger get yourself to a Radio Shack.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Sorry!, November 19, 2010
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)

In all fairness, last night, we changed the batteries and it made it around the track four times without stopping. Also, the train cars do not stay hooked. I had to scotch tape the cars together.

It's a cute train set and my 5,6 and 7 year old grandsons will love it around the Christmas tree this year, but it's not the Lionel that I remember as a kid. Hope this helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a 3 year old train NUT!!!, December 21, 2008
sueb43 "sueb43" (Bellaire, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)
My grandson is kookoo for any trains, Thomas, Polar Express, toys, movies, YouTube videos... any trains in any form.

I thought I'd get him a junky train for fun for Christmas. I figured it would last the season. Unfortunately, I picked up a cheapie at ToysRUs for $[...]. Not only did it break after one week, it was pretty cheesy. Cars didn't really hook together, battery hookup from the coal tender to the engine was junky, etc. I don't even know if I'll be able to get credit for the dumb thing since my daughter-in-law inadvertently threw the receipt away. But my grandson was nutty about the thing.

So I started a desparate search last night Dec. 19th, and everyone was out of the junkier trains. I did an extreme internet search and found nothing. By today, just about everyone was out of the better trains too. I finally had success at Target and got the Polar Express Battery Powered train G Scale. My grandson absolutely loves it and it is made so much better than the cheap ones. The cars securely hook together, it has 3 speeds forward and 3 reverse. My daughter-in-law is thrilled that it doesn't really make a big racket; just enough noise to please my grandson without irritating everyone else in the household. I am planning to get him two 9.5 v. battery packs and chargers so he won't run out of batteries. This train is definitely the hit of Christmas 2008.

1.0 out of 5 stars junk, March 15, 2010
Victor Christianson (New York, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)
Hard to assemble track so that it remains intact. Slightest touch by kids, ages 3-6, derailed train. Trains kept coming off, battery powered is very weak. Sent back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I didn't listen to the bad review...we LOVE it!!!, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)
Not sure what everyone is talking about, because I have not had any problems with this train. I love it and think it is a great addition to our holiday traditions. I am so glad that I didn't listen to the negative reviews! This train is a great basic train for little ones. I have a 4 and 2 year old and they have had a great time playing with it. I have had to teach them not to touch it once I get it set up because, yes, the train falls off the track if kids are trying to play with the cars. Yes, the track comes apart if someone is stepping or pulling on it. Yes, the couplings don't stay together when the trains fall off the track. I didn't expect any more...that sounds pretty obvious to me. But once set up on the track, it runs smoothly...on our carpeted basement floor. The remote control makes it a great "toy" without them having to actually play with the train. I love the forward/reverse as well as the bell, whistle and conductor call sounds. We also didn't have any trouble with the batteries provided. We set it up a a couple weeks ago and our kids have played with it almost everyday without having to replace batteries yet. I don't have any complaints at all about this train. I'm so glad I bought it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Santa Failed w/ This Train, December 25, 2008
Michelle B. Reeder (Montgomery, AL United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)
We are so upset with this train. My husband bought it about a month ago just thinking it would be fun for he and our 3-year-old to play together on christmas morning. Then by chance our son has started asking everyday for the Polar Express Train. We were thrilled - couldn't wait until this morning. HA - the joke's on us. This train is junk. It doesn't fit on the track well at all to start and the worst thing is the couplers won't stay connected EVER. When family arrived later this morning all he could tell them was "I got a Express train and it falls off!!" It wasn't just the 3-year-old, none of us could make it stay connected. You can only use the engine and tender and it makes it around one time before falling off. VERY POORLY CONSTRUCTED. I am a LONG time Amazon shopper and have NEVER felt the need to review a product in years... until now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, December 29, 2009
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)
I seriously considered not purchasing this item because of the negative reviews. However, it was the BIG ITEM on my 4 y/o son's Christmas list. I didn't want him to be disappointed that Santa didn't bring his Polar Express train, so I reluctantly purchased it. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! Santa really delivered. This train is beautiful! Everything my little guy was dreaming of. It comes in an easy to unpack/re-pack box that is great for putting it away during non-play time. It is sturdy and easy to assemble. It is easy to control. Most importantly, it is absolutely charming with great details. I'm not sure what went wrong with the folks who gave negative reviews, possibly wrong expectations. However, I must say that the item description covers it well. If you're looking for a Polar Express train lovely enough to collect, but simple, sturdy, and inexpensive enough to give to a child, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars polar express train, January 11, 2009
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)
This was just what my 4 yr old son wanted. He is crazy about trains of all kinds but especially loves the Polar Express. He is very happy with it and it has held up to his "crashes", so far!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Toy Train, December 16, 2008
This review is from: Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge (Toy)
I have loved trains since I was a child. I own both the "O" Guage and now the "G" guage versions. There are differnces between the two, but those who love trains usually know what they are buying before they purchase it. This G guage is plastic, not metal like the O, but it is wonderful nevertheless. It has all the magic of a toy train, beautifully built, great sounds, nice electronics that make the engine slow and speed realistically, and the wonderful extras like the ghost on the roof who disappears when you flip him over. I love this train and anyone who know Lionel, will understand and love this train. I give 4 stars because the track does not snap as good as it could, but no problem.

Lionel Polar Express Train Set - G-Gauge