4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad
Published 21 months ago by Beabea

3.0 out of 5 stars well made though somewhat pricey.
well made but the wheel noise is disturbing. have to play the music when the train is sitting still or you cant hear it. also couldn't get the smoke to work. Still, it is very pretty around the tree.
Published 19 months ago by Harry D. Fox

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, November 30, 2012
Beabea (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionel Santa's Flyer Ready To Run Train Set - O-Gauge (Toy)
Overall, this is a nice set for someone who wants to put a train around the tree. If you want to have a set that you can expand, I recommend that you consider a more-expensive set. The main negative that I have on this set is that Lionel includes a low-power PowerMax transformer. This has enough power to run this set, but if you add track or accessories then you'll need a bigger transformer like the CW80 which costs around one hundred dollars. Here's what I see as the pros and cons:

Pros - looks good; has headlight, smoke, whistle and lighted caboose; fastrack is a nice track system; can add lots of Lionel accessories; Amazon price of two hundred ten dollars is a respectable price.

Cons - weak transformer; Christmas music boxcar needs a 9v battery and the on switch is on the bottom of the boxcar;

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value & overall a great train!!!, November 11, 2013
This is our second train we have purchased over the past 14 years. I read all the reviews on all the trains & it came down to this one. Most of the cons listed for this train weren't substantial enough for me to rule it out.
I am so glad I chose this train. My 4 yr old & 13 yr old love it.
Let me list the things that were MOST impressive to me:
1. It doesn't come with cheap, plastic track like so many do. (and all the aggravation that comes with those cheap tracks)
2. It has the remote controller so the speeds, whistle & directions can be controlled very easily.
3. It is electric powered...so no changing batteries every week.
4. The Christmas music is not high pitched & overbearing on the ears. The music is actually enjoyable.
5. It has a whistle, a headlight & the caboose lights up.
6. The high speed setting really IS FAST!!!
What I do NOT like:
1. The smoke is so extremely light that you really have to focus to see it.
2. I did NOT realize that although the bell sound button is on the remote control, this particular train does NOT actually have the bell...you have to purchase & add that.
3. It is fairly loud when running the train at full speed.
Seriously, though...it's a great train.

5.0 out of 5 stars christmas nostalgia, November 15, 2013
I bought this train set to enhance the holidays for my daughter and found myself caught up in the nostalgia. I added 6 10 inch straight track sections and screwed it down to a christmas village display I made. There are tabs under each track if you want to attach additional wires for an even spread of power throughout the track. You can solder these or use connectors you can buy at home supply store like I did. There is absolutely no power loss from additional track as others indicated. I will though upgrade in the future to a higher output transformer as I add more accessories and use the 40cw it comes with for auxiliary needs. The box car plays random short clips of Xmas music but the speaker is a little loud. Yes you need to turn it upside down to switch it off and on but I just choose to leave the car off the main track and place it a small section of auxiliary track for display and not worry about. I also bought a chessie locomotive with crew sounds and caboose and these run great too with this transformer. The whistle is a bit weak at slow speeds but the faster you go the louder it seems to get. Kinda like a whistle in the distance. Smoke is also low output at low speeds and not much better at fast pace. Don't keep the smoke switch on unless drops of fluid are in the reservoir or it will ruin the smoke box. A bit pricey but very cool addition and should last a long time with care. The track can be cleaned with a lionel clean and lube kit or you can clean it with some rubbing alcohol. Same with the train wheels. Don't forget the gears and axles need periodic oiling. There are many videos online to assist with the maintenance. Buy with confidence it's a great product.

Update: I fixed the low out put whistle as any train set apparently with ages 8 and older has a federal restriction on decibels thus the whistle being so low. On the lionel website they have a fix in which you unscrew the tender car screws and remove the top. Then you clip the capacitor and solder back down. It took me 5 minutes and voila the whistle was louder or a normal decibal in my opinion. The numbering on the fix I does not Match the circuit board but the picture is almost identical and easy to figure out. If you try it you will know what I mean. Go to lionel website and look up this train and you will see the troubleshooting PDF on the side. Additionally, I don't believe the made in china inferior product as many have claimed on new lionel trains. I have a 1974 USA made chessie system locomotive with die cast trucks that is inferior to my made in China 2010 merger chessie loco. And this was a limited edition item. The detail is a notch above in the china model and the sounds are superior also albeit the trucks are not die cast but the wheels are. Yes I would like this train set to be made in the USA but it is not inferior to any of the USA lionel products I have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lionel Train, December 26, 2012
Fun train set, One minor problem, switch for music on boxcar is on the bottom of the car, poor design, should be on one of the ends.

3.0 out of 5 stars well made though somewhat pricey., February 23, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product overall, March 6, 2013
Goo product overall. only complain (small) is the smoke feature does not work that great. other than that the product is good

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great, December 31, 2012
I ordered this train on Amazon because all the stores around me that carry trains were out. 2 day shipping was very reasonable and showed up as advertised. The train was easy and quick to set up on christmas eve and the kids loved it. Everything worked. Great starter set. My only disappointment was when I saw Made In China. I hope my kids take up the hobby for my sake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this train, December 22, 2012
I am very pleased wtih the train and looks great under our Chrismas tree. I now would like to order extra cars and track for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly made christmas fun`, January 18, 2013
This is awsome. We will enjoy this for years to come. So easy to setup and get running. To see the look on the kids faces when it comes around playing the christmas tunes. priceless!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars what I thought, June 13, 2013
the set came in as described. but I thought it would be of much better quality. being a lionel set. it runs ok. but is a way cheaper version of lionel then im used to. really lite plastic. plastic couplers. very basic. I guess you get what you pay for. but for what they charge. I think they could have put more quality into it. its a shame on the name of lionel to put this very poorly made unit out. two and three hundred dollars is a lot to a lot of people. we deserve better. from lionel. this I would expect to get if I were buying from china. not lionel. but the train does run like they say. 40watt transformer. track is only good standard thing. train very lite. but if you just want a train that runs. this is it. but don't expect the lionel quality you used to get. I guess it went down the tubes. for the price they could have made it better and still make a profit. they spend more on advertising then quality I think. that's my opion only thank you for listening

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›