Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lionel The Scout Ready to Run Freight Train Set - O-Gauge
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 6, 2012
We purchase this set for our son's birthday. He has a few other ready to run sets and this one was on sale, so we purchased it. We have had nothing but problems with it. The first time we ran it, it went extremely slow with a grinding noise. We took it to be fixed. When we got home it flew off the tracks going slowly around corners. We went back and had it fixed a second time. Then it started grinding and sparking. Yep, had it fixed again. On top of everything else, the gears are on the outside making it noisy. My son doesn't use this train vey often as he's afraid it will break. Poor quality and would avoid the 2-4-2 style again. Stay clear...
on January 22, 2011
I own 8 Lionel trains dating from 1946 to present -- this "Scout" is one of the weaker links in an otherwise great line of trains. I bought it for my grandson as his first O gauge -- it may be his last Lionel.

I'm not sure who is in charge at Lionel (try and find out who really owns them or where they are located), but they need to improve their engineering and quality control. The 3 of the 4 most recent purchases have not been up to the quality of Williams or MTH. From now on I'll buy other brands of O gauge engines or sets first.

Oh, by the way, Lionel never finished the sequel to their DVD film, "Lionelville Destination: Adventure" -- it leaves you hangin' with no resolution to the story (apologies to my grandkids).
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2012
Reading the other reviews I would have stayed away from this but I took advise from the guy at my local hobby store & it works great. I have No issues at all because the train, tracks, smoke, whistle & controls all worked. I dont know if the other reviews got defective units or something. I have only had it for two weeks but me & my son run this everyday.
on November 20, 2013
It has been running great for us. Controls all work fine. Runs steady and smooth at low speed or extremely fast at at 3/4 throttle. Which I would never run it at.. Very happy with this purchase..
on January 4, 2013
My grandsons loved this train! Very easy to run for a 4 1/2 year old. The tracks were great on both hardwood and carpet.
on December 27, 2013
Love everything about the train. Bought the train for around the tree and had to buy extra track for that. The train run and works great, the kids love it !
on December 29, 2013
We chose this size train because it was easy to work with and great for a three year old to run. He was thrilled with the whistle and the smoke it emitted.
on January 27, 2013
got this for my gift. train is die cast metal and steam works great. highly detailed rolling stock too. also

greatly designed
on October 11, 2014
I collect Lionel Trains.
on March 26, 2013
GOT A VERY GOOD PRICE AND THE KIDS LOVE IT. WE SAVED OVER 40 DOLLARS . HERE ARE FOUR MORE WORDS FOR YOU.

See 1 answered question