Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LIP LOCK
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 14, 2013
Eve is back after an 11 year hiatus, and it's obvious that she's back and hungry to reclaim her position as one of the foremost female mcs of this generation. While she does experiment at times with different genres (the very pop "Make It Out This Town" being the most obvious), Eve never loses sight of the end goal and manages to spit some of her hardest and most intricate raps that she's ever let loose. I was scared that she might just be desperate for a new hit and sacrifice her unique sound for derivative pop like so many others, but this album is catchy, aggressive, and un-apologetically showcases Eve's signature rapid fire rapping style to a T.

I for one especially love that Eve doesn't have someone sing the hook and chorus on all of her songs. It's there on a few of them, but by in large Eve is content to succeed or fail based on her own merit and skill at rapping. And even when Eve experimented with incorporating new sounds (slight Middle Eastern tones, dance, pop etc.) she doesn't so much as fully embrace these new tones as much as prove that she can literally rap over anything.

Now lyrically, Eve doesn't venture far from three different messages: the "Bow down to the boss," the "I'm super sexy," and the occasionally inspirational "Don't give up." I must admit, it would have definitely improved this album if Eve really had pushed herself a bit more and been a bit more vulnerable. Strangely, having less than deep lyrics isn't really bothering me though. It's quite simply such a pleasure to hear Eve slaying the mic that when she goes off on how she's a just the most amazing woman ever, a part of me just is like silently agreeing. However, this pushed what could have been a phenomenal album into more lukewarm territory for me.

All in all though, if you like rap, being a boss, dancing, or wish you could replay a little bit of your childhood (90s babies), this is the album for you.
on May 15, 2013
Eve did it again. The 10 year hiatus has not hindered her rhyme skills. If you're a true Eve fan, you will not be disappointed. She's still lyrical and thought provoking. Song #1 Eve should be her theme song. It should play whenever she walks into a room. Check out the video on Vevo. #8 Grind or Die is a BANGER!!!! She killed it and it's by far my favorite song on the album. She also has songs with people I personally have never heard of but it gives her music another dimension by showing how versatile she is and that she can work with everybody as a collaborative effort. She not trying to do their music and they're not trying to do hip-hop. It just works. She's still a pitbull in a skirt!!!! It's Classic Eve swag and lyrics but also a grown woman rapping. None of this little kid fluff. Love it.
on May 16, 2013
Considering her circumstances over the past 5 years or so with getting tossed around by major labels to now dating a multi-millionare residing in London, Eve could've easily just called it quits and decided not to drop another album. However, she cares about her fans and decided to do what she loves...and that's MUSIC! Like Eve has stated in interviews, she wants her fans to listen to this album with an open mind and appreciate the fact that she is still lyrical but also just wants to have fun and not take everything so seriously. I enjoyed it! It's not anything groundbreaking but the fact that she is back with a new album is enough for me to go out and buy this. She has never been a gimmick. Her confidence always shines through her music. My favorite tracks are "EVE," "Zero Below," and "Mama In The Kitchen." If you're an EVE fan, you'll enjoy this album. WELCOME BACK and thanks for FINALLY giving us a new album E-V-E!
on December 12, 2014
Liplock by Eve contains a mixture of various music genres on this cd. For instance, Eve musically experiments in songs such as Make It Out This Town (feat. Gabe Saporta of Cobra Starship) and Keep Me From You featuring Dawn Richard. Missy Elliot and Juicy J are some of the multiple musicians featured on Liplock by Eve.
on July 16, 2013
I have waited years for Eve to release a new album.... I was disappointed. Maybe because I waited for so long? Not the worst I've bought this year but, not one that I will listen to over and over again.
on May 18, 2013
This is a really good CD! I think something that definitely is setting her aside from other rappers right now is the music quality! These are some absolutely BANGING beats! I'd definitely have to say that my 3 favorite are "Mama In The Kitchen", "Grind or Die", and "Zero Below." Those are all AWESOME tracks especially Zero Below! That song is seriously great. This CD is definitely a great buy for people that love QUALITY rap and hip-hop and even pop. I'm a big pop fan and one of my favorite things about this album is for the most part it has really fast BPM on some of the songs that make it very high energy and danceable. I've never been a big Eve fan in the past, but she's got me hooked now for sure. I really hope Azealia Banks' album is as good as this one.
on May 26, 2013
My girl Eve is back. What I have always enjoyed about Eve is that she is a rapper first, entertainer second. Some artist just don't get that. Eve is a skilled rapper but her album doesn't just consist of flows over beats, her music is fun, something you can rock to in a club and have a good time listening to. Her music is not heavily laden with your standard explicit words to the point you wonder if the artist even has a vocabulary. She is well balanced in this aspect and yet you still can say this is grown folks music. I listened to her album from beginning to end and I liked ever song but one. This says a lot because often with rap albums I only like 50 to 60% of the album. Eve we miss you, keep the records coming!
on September 24, 2014
I haven't listened to this yet I buy c.d.'s and when I have time to listen that when I listen to the c.d., but I love Eve and I bought it because of that. I believe it will go up a star once I listen.
Eve used to be one of the top female MC's in the hip-hop game joining an elite group including Missy Elliott and Lil Kim. Then came a lengthy 11-year hiatus between her 2002 album Eve-Olution and 2013's long-awaited new album, Lip Lock. The world can change dramatically over a decade-plus, and it has since Eve was a full-fledged solo artist. On Lip Lock, the Philly rapper shifts from major label to indie (From The Rib Music), trying to retain her 'badness' as well as assimilate to the musical trends do 2013. For the most part, Lip Lock is a successful effort, but Eve doesn't quite have the same bite she did back when.

"Eve" (featuring Ms. Kitty) opens the effort solidly, blending production cues from both hip-hop and the trendy EDM palette of sounds. Eve spits ether on the aggressive, fast-paced hook: "Ain't no guessin' it's E-V-E / I'm the chick that they wish they be...I'm the reason you wanna hide / smile on your face, fear in your eyes..." Proceeding standout "She Bad Bad" benefits from an addictive, simplistic hook ("Oh She bad, bad..."), solid production, and some memorable rhymes from Eve. "Yeah E-V-E, hungry like a lion / I ain't never easy, never scared, why you tryin'...", she raps assertively on the first verse. Promo single "Make It Out This Town" (featuring Gabe Saporta) caps off a solid opening trio overall. That said, the pop sensible track doesn't showcase Eve at her sassiest, somewhat of a departure for the MC.

"All Night" features a hook sung by Claude Kelly and a guest rap from Propain. Less triumphant than the opening trio, "All Night" is a grower with its modern production work if nothing else. Pop prevails once more on "Keep Me From You", which features Dawn Richard. The main rub is that "Keep Me From You" sounds more suited for will.I.am or Flo Rida as opposed to Eve. Atonement arrives with two solid cuts in "Wanna Be" (featuring Missy Elliott and Nacho) and "Mama in the Kitchen" (featuring Snoop Dogg). On "Wanna Be", aggressive Eve is at full force, with Missy's verse being a show-stealer. Snoop Dogg's easy flowing hook ("Mama in the kitchen /mama in the kitchen / mama in the kitchen / whip, we flip") over a sick beat is killer.

"Grind or Die" is brief at 2:22, but Eve packs a couple of lyrical blows: "I can be sweet / but my lyrics stay mean..." On "Zero Below" while Eve emphasizes her coldness with triumphant lines like "...they had a little time/ try to beat E-V-E / snatchin' the plate back / it's my turn to eat...", the cut itself is also only lukewarm at best. "Forgive Me" is 'colder', easily more forgettable than the multitude. Chrisette Michele arrives on "Never Gone", but she sounds more processed than usual, which takes away somewhat. Michele's ad libs remain superb. The closing cut is a remix of "She Bad Bad", adding Pusta T and Juicy J to the mix.

Overall, Lip Lock is an enjoyable album, though Not Eve's greatest triumph. It works fine as a comeback, but perhaps 11-years out of the game, it falls just short of reinvigorating Eve's once lofty rap career.
on May 22, 2013
It has been 11 years since Eve has made an album, although two buzz singles were made in 2007. This album wasn't exactly her best, not exactly her style; however, there are songs that may make you dance, make you smile, and make you rap along. Highlights from this song are "EVE", "She Bad Bad", "Make It Out this Town", "Mama In The Kitchen", "Zero Below" and "Forgive Me".