Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Size: 16 oz|Change

I was recommended this product by a friend who had read several articles on it being a healthier option than soy sauce. So, I tried it. It tastes okay - not anywhere near as good as traditional soy sauce, but a decent substitute in recipes calling for it though I would never use it for sushi. I used it for a few weeks before finally looking more closely at the label. Kikkoman Soy Sauce has 920mg of sodium per serving. Low Sodium Kikkoman Soy Sauce has 575mg per serving. Bragg's has 160mg per serving. However, all the soy sauces I checked have a serving size of one tablespoon. Bragg's serving size is HALF A TEASPOON! This makes it 960mg in an equivalent serving - more than regular soy sauce! I was shocked, and then angry.

Every "substitute" product - whether low fat, low sodium, higher fiber, whatever - I have ever tried before now has the same serving size as the product it is recommended in place of. Not only is this not equivalent, it is a ridiculous serving size. I could not find another liquid condiment of any type (ketchup, mustard, steak sauce, salad dressing, ginger sauce, etc.) that had a serving size smaller than one tablespoon, and many are two tablespoons. Not only is regular soy sauce lower in sodium, but obviously the low sodium options from name brands like Kikkoman or La Choy are significantly lower.

There are many other seasoning options that are lower in sodium than this. If you like the taste, that is fine. However, if you are looking to lower your sodium intake this is not a good product. Further, I feel that THE SERVING SIZE IS DESIGNED TO DECEIVE CUSTOMERS, and I will not be trying another Bragg product ever again.
1919 comments|283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2010
This stuff is unfermented soy sauce. I don't know what fermentation does for soy sauce, but what I know is that my low-sodium tamari soy sauce has about the same nutritional value as Bragg but tastes a whole lot better. Don't be fooled by the small serving size in Liquid Aminos, the sodium content is high; this is not a low sodium food (my tamari sauce contains less sodium per volume, and it's still high). The amino acid profile means nothing in small quantities, it's not like anyone drinks soy sauce for its protein. A half-dime sized piece of tofu contains more amino acids than a serving of this.

I recommend you go for a high quality Asian brand of low sodium soy sauce. It'll taste better, and it'll be at least as healthy.
3232 comments|350 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2011
When I bought this, it really has a more full bodied and yummy flavor that I enjoy. The name might sound strange, but really it tastes a lot like soy sauce, with a slight molasses flavor that seems to linger behind for a long while after consuming some of it (You might not notice this, but I noticed it so much because I had it with plain rice.) I was so excited about this purchase literally an hour ago but after some research I have seen a few things about it that I am like, eh, now (although the taste is pretty good, still.) It seems to have a low sodium content at first, although, unfortunately, it does not. In one half teaspoon there is 6% of your daily value. However, there are 3 teaspoons in one tablespoon. Most soy sauce or tamari (or shoyu, whatever may be your flavor) shows a serving size as 1 tablespoon. To get a real comparison, you have to multiply that amount by 6. So, in reality, if you put 1tbsp of Bragg's just like you might normal soy sauce, you would get something exactly as salty. However, they do speak of a spray bottle option, which I would definitely think about using in the future for not just bragg's, but any soy sauce. That sounds very economical and very smart to keep the salt content in my food low. Also, it is a processed soy product. It is more raw than soy sauce though, because it is not fermented - a positive for this product. But there is some concern with false or misleading labeling. Bragg's makes it sound like they obtain the product through non-chemical processing methods and markets it as a health food product. However, the company has admitted that the sauce is made by treating a soy product with hydrochloric acid, the aminos are separated, and that the end product is neutralized again with basically baking soda. This sounds a tad bit yucky and chemical-y to me, but, then again, hydrochloric acid naturally occurs in your stomach (which I learned just today, and makes this sound, well, not as bad as I thought, but still, eh.)

Also, some people on forum sites about Bragg's described instances where they did some prolonged fasting diets after regularly using Bragg's and complained of a smell remniscent of the sauce coming out of their sweat for days and days. That is strange, and I don't know if it could have been singularly from the bragg's, but garlic and onion also permeate a lot through your tissue, and being pregnant and nasally sensitive lately, I smell that on people who AREN'T fasting for days after they eat it and it just smells gross and so sour. Those two ingredients are in almost EVERYTHING we eat, especially if you eat packaged foods! From personal experience also, I have definitely had some yuck smells just keep coming out of me while fasting, but those smells could be from a lot of different things.

Personally, I haven't experienced any strange smells on myself. However, a little bit goes a long way. You will probably get a headache and fatigued if you use more than 1 tbsp. I don't use too much on my food, not more than one tbsp at the very most, and I'm not an exceptionally salty type of person and I'm trying to cut it down or at least use healthy salt alternatives instead.

Another one of my concerns is the lack of the organic label. I shoot for getting most everything organic. Having this not have an organic label worries me about some of the production processes (not just the ones I spoke about above) but also that they might not put environmental concerns somewhere at the top of their checklist as a company. This is just a theoretical idea of mine.

In any case, I bought a giant bottle of this, and I'll probably use it just about till it's gone unless I think of someone I would like to give it to and find another (preferably organic and raw) alternative I like - it still tastes pretty good and I don't have any reason to dislike it for that!
33 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2013
I can't believe that poor uninformed folks actually use this stuff thinking it is a safe salt substitute. This stuff should be labeled "Liquid Sodium" or "Liquid Salt". If you'll stop a minute and do the math here concerning its sodium content, you'll wake up and throw this stuff away in a heartbeat.
The label uses a deceptively tiny "serving size" (2.5 ml) to throw you off. Just that much has 160 mg. of sodium!
Kikkoman Lite soy sauce, which tastes far better, only has 96 mg. of sodium per 2.5 ml! Hey, sodium is sodium as far as your body and blood pressure is concerned regardless of where it comes from. Braggs even has the audacity to state on its website:

"4 - If there is no salt in the Liquid Aminos, where does the salty taste come from?

The salty taste comes from the soybeans that are used to make Bragg Liquid Aminos. There is no salt added of any kind (land or sea). The naturally occurring sodium from the soybeans is approx. 160 mg. per 1/2 tsp."......That's brine!

Don't be a fool and fall for this crap.
I can't believe either that when I've emailed Braggs over and over about this issue, they won't even answer my emails. There's nothing that they can say to lie out of this. This stuff is bad news for anybody trying to avoid salt (sodium). Don't be stupid and fall for it!
44 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2012
Beware of this product! Fermentation makes soy more digestable for humans - - Braggs Liquid Aminos is not fermented. Additionally, Braggs does not contain less sodium than regular soy sauce, rather, it contains slightly MORE sodium than soy sauce.

I used to purchase this product regularly, under the misunderstanding that it was a healthier alternative to soy sauce. This is not accurate.

Do yourself a favor and do not buy this product.
on December 29, 2011
This product has almost 2 times the amount of sodium as "Low Sodium" soy sauce.
Not a good replacement if you are trying to avoid sodium (which you should).

Go with a low sodium tamari (wheat free soy sauce) or a low sodium soy sauce.

or.... just a squeeze of lemon or lime : )
on June 29, 2013
I have used Bragg's Liquid Aminos (BLA) for a couple decades now, but I'm not so sure anymore. I have read the comments at [...] (if the link is deleted, do a search for Bragg Liquid Aminos at the welikeitraw dot com web site). Glutamic Acid and MSG do naturally occur in foods, so their presence is not an indication that the product is harmful. Claims that the soybeans are broken down with hydrochloric acid and then the acid is neutralized with a base substance, like baking soda. However, BLA does not contain much sodium. So, as an experiment, I am laying off the Bragg's for a while and using natural herbal seasonings like powdered cayenne, garlic, onion, kelp, etc., just to see what happens.
UPDATE: After I stopped using Bragg Liquid Aminos, I was naturally eliminating it for a few days, and it left a bad aftertaste in my mouth as I detoxified from it's use. I haven't gone back to it, and continue to use a seasoning with powdered cayenne, onion, garlic, etc. I don't recommend using it.
on February 5, 2015
Purchased this recently at a local "natural" food store. I've read so much about it online, with glowing reviews and raves, that I thought it would be special and healthy.

When I tried it (in the same way that I use soy sauce) I found I did not like the taste. Something about it left a strange aftertaste in my mouth and throat. Then I tried my favorite brand of organic soy sauce instead, which I had no problem with in the past, no problem still. The taste of the soy sauce is much better than Bragg Liquid Aminos.

Then I compared the nutritional labels of both and found Bragg's has more sodium than regular soy sauce. One of the reasons I bought Bragg Liquid Aminos was because it was recommended as a low sodium alternative to soy sauce. But this product is not low sodium. The label says it has 160 mg of sodium per HALF TEASPOON. Normal soy sauce has 920 mg of sodium per TABLESPOON. That means Bragg Liquid Aminos actually has MORE SODIUM than typical soy sauce. It has 960 mg of sodium per tablespoon!

I'm going back to using soy sauce. I recommend others do the same. Just make sure you get a reputable certified organic brand, certified non-gmo if you can. For those who like less sodium, just use your favorite soy sauce and water it down. You save money that way too.
on June 18, 2013
I saw on the Dr Oz show that Liquid Aminos are a good low salt alternative to soy sauce. Since Amazon does not show the labels on products like this, I took the word of the person on Dr Oz. Nothing could be farther from the truth! It is 960 mg per tablespoon compared to 575 mg per tablespoon with Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce. Buyer beware.
on January 24, 2007
I ran across Bragg Liquid Aminos purely by accident. I happened to see it on the shelf at some store when I was shopping for groceries and decided to try it out. I am into healthy foods these days because I am in my 50s with a family history of high blood pressure, obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.

The Nutrition Facts numbers were good --- 0 mg total fat, o mg cholesterol, 100 mg carbs, 110 mg sodium, and 290 mg of protein. According to the manufacurer, the 100 mg sodium is not added, but is what naturally grows within the ingredients.

Wow. Good tasting stuff! Somehow, it tastes salty without being loaded with salt.

Having lived in Kentucky as a kid, I know and understand the appeal of the best tasting food in the world -- southern greens. But, as you know if you have ever had them, they are loaded with fat and salt.

What I found, as a good alternative, is to steam raw greens in a microwave steamer, using no salt and instead, sprinkling in Bragg Liquid Aminos, along with chopped onions, and your favorite non-salt spices.

Hhm, boy!
2727 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse