From the Back Cover
In this second edition of Liquid Crystal Displays
, Ernst Lueder provides a timely update to his successful text. His unique combination of theory and practice presents all the information required for the development and manufacture of modern high performance and energy saving LCDs. The author also strives for an easy to understand description of complex facts.
The second edition focuses on a variety of liquid crystal cells and their electronic addressing, and outlines new developments including:
- High performance VA cells, especially for TV, due to two subpixels with excellent γ-correction also at oblique viewing
- Short optical response times in the range of 1 ms also for inter-gray transitions due to novel addressing waveforms
- Fringe field switching for acceleration of rise and decay of luminance eliminating frame memories
- Reduction of motion blur by scanning backlights, high frequency frames, edge enhancement and motion blur modeling
- Very thin LCDs with power saving LED backlights exhibiting unmatched color purity and larger than NTSC color gamut
- Printed layers on hydrophobic and hydrophilic areas replacing photolithography
Practicing electrical engineers, physicists, chemists and display specialists will find this a valuable resource. Researchers will appreciate the practical guidance given for the design of improved LCDs, whilst students are provided with a useful overview of the field.