Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$0.98+ $3.99 shipping

on January 16, 2003
You might think I'm a close friend or relative of this woman by
what I'm about to say....but no, I'm just an ordinary guy who knows a great song when I hear one...and this is it!!
I have to be honest here...I've only heard one single track
from this album: "West of Crazy". I must also be honest when I say, I will buy this record on the strength of the that one track alone. I first heard this song on a video she had on CMT. The song is about her response when an old ex-love asks how she's doing since their breakup. She honestly explains by compass direction that she is just south of hopeless, due north of pain, Oh so close to normal ...but she can't get there from here.
I may not be getting the words exactly right...but trust me,
this is one intriquing and fantastic song. Not only has she great voice, the band that accompanies her are the best!
This song is one of those songs you (or at least I) can listen to
over and over and never get enough of!! I have listened to this
song so many times I'm surprised my ears are'nt bleeding by now!
It is highly addictive due to here voice, the play on words and
the great instrumental backup.
I can only say if the rest of this album is even half as good
as this single....it is a great buy!!! I don't think you'll
be disappointed at all. A great singer who deserves way more
credit than she's getting!
Thanks for reading.
on July 19, 1999
This CD is truly a joy to listen to. It's an emotional roller coaster... from the light hearted "Before He Kissed Me"... to the serious tale of a broken home "Now That We're Not a Family"... to Alcoholism in "She Can't Save Him". Lisa's voice makes the music come alive.
on April 23, 1999
This album is worth buying just for "She Can't Save Him". It is an unforgettable song. The rest of the album is worth listening, too, also.
on June 6, 2007
This album rules. It's an excellent country album that can please non-county fans. For starters, Lisa's voice is great. It is unique, distinctive, with an accent very appropriate to singing country. Here are the songs:

Language of Love - nice melody, intros Lisa's voice well.

Before He Kissed Me - energetic, the singer was initially skeptical about a guy but then he kissed her and won her.

She Can't Save Him - slower, has powerful lyrics about woman married to hopeless alcoholic

I Know a Heartache When I See One - The guy looks and talks good, but the woman knows he's just a disappointment waiting to happen.

Now That We're Not a Family - about breakup

West of Crazy - very good, bluesey, sticks in the head, singer is mentally distracted after guy gone

I Know Too Much - good song, strongly sung

At End of Day - one of the few weaker ones, a love tune

That Summer - good tune about a boy and girl romancing one summer

From the Heart - slow, kinda boring, the other weaker number

Overall excellent addition to your CD collection's country section.
on April 5, 2010
This is a great CD. Lisa is a great country singer that for some reason is not as popular as some other singers that aren't as good.
on August 17, 2014
excellence
on April 21, 2006
This CD is alright. That's all I can say about it. I've had this CD 4 a long time now. It wasn't until I can across her "Every Little Girl's Dream" CD, that I got this 1 out & relistened 2 it. This CD needs 2 b n a different song order. The songs r okay. I think Capitol Records could of gave her better songs. If u buy this CD, buy it used. Don't waste the money 2 buy it new. It's not worth it.
on September 4, 2003
A label and manager decide to just shuffle through a bunch of super safe songs and concentrate on Lisa's very talented voice, hoping her quality will outdo their song selections.
Her self titled album is way too typical, smiley and no scratches on the paint. Not meaning we're looking for roughness or rawness, but there's no motivation to innovate, even at a polished finish.
'Language Of Love' is not unpleasent, but it's so....so-so. Same for the mediocre ballad 'Now That We're Not A Family'. Too bad, since the writing/lyrics are above par on this one. The engineering and vocal work doesn't do anything special, and Brokop's pronounciation is way too sharp and not relaxed.
A take on blues and rock with 'I Know Too Much' is a poorly executed one, slammin' into the "trying-too-hard-to-be-cool-commercialism" wall. Forget this one, saying the same for 'At The End Of The Day'.
On a better note, one of my all time favourite songs in contemporary country-rock is 'West Of Crazy' . Lisa saves herself from over effort, and relaxes while she sings. The music may not be a milestone, but they blend a variety of blues-slide guitar and piano really well. The beat really will get you. Why THIS great song is on here, is beyond me.
'Then He Kissed Me' is also good. A fun tune for summer love.
'That Summer' tries to be like these two, and almost makes it. It's not bad.
SO, going to buy a Lisa Brokop album? If this one is in a used shop, and you are a die hard fan of her, okay. If not, pass onto 'Every Little Girl's Dream' or her latest one...'Undeniable', and another one, 'When You Get To Be You'...very good one.
Too bad..this one has ONE great, ONE good, and ONE above average song to give. Sigh.