Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$10.49

on January 17, 2016
Great disc
on October 10, 2015
Five stars my favorite Walkmen album
on July 4, 2015
Great
on March 11, 2015
Another classic
on May 17, 2013
This has got to be my most listened to album of the past year. It was also the first album I bought by The Walkmen (which I would now count as one of my favorite bands, if not my favorite).

Now, as far as I can tell, there are at least two camps of Walkmen fans: those who hail "The Rat" and Bows + Arrows as their masterpiece (I want to slap my forehead every time "The Rat" is brought up at this point), and those who appreciate the band's evolution as a whole. I've always felt like the odd one out as "The Rat" never really resonated with me, and I actually sold Bows + Arrows because I just couldn't get into it. That being said, I love everything else they've done, and Lisbon stands as their greatest achievement in my eyes (although You & Me tends to flirt with this position from time to time).

What gets me is that this album just feels different from really anything else out there. An initial listen will reveal a very down-to-the-basics feel, with very loose instrumentation that at times almost feels out-of-sync. But that's the beauty of it--this album is so intricately produced and realized that the band makes toeing that line seem like the natural thing to do. It's at this point that you realize that the instrumentation isn't simple it all...there are masters at work here.

Hamilton yet again proves himself as a lyricist and a vocalist. You feel his pain and his frustration and his passion and his peace. You feel life in all its pure emotion. That's what this album is for me. Life. That's where the connection lies, and that's why I keep coming back.

And can I just say that "Lisbon," the closing track, gets me every time. Definitely my favorite Walkmen song. I can never listen to it just once.

Please buy this album. It's a grower, but all the best things are. And, while you're at it, track down the B-sides to this album. They're quality.
on February 21, 2013
What?
Did I stutter in the title? It's really good. What more do you want from me? I'm just a man.
on February 12, 2013
In a nutshell, what I like is that they sound authentic. What does that mean? Who the heck knows?! I suppose it means his voice has grit. The songs don't sound like formulas. The guitar parts are good, but they're not rock-god-like.
on December 13, 2012
Great album; saw them live recently for the first time and completely overwhelmed - brilliant band and album reflects this
on May 24, 2011
Wow, what a fantastic record, probably their best! As usual, they wear their hearts quite plainly on their sleeves, but I guess you could say they're wearing old and quite worn smoking jackets now instead of dirty leather jackets. Or to put it more simply and less pretentiously, they're getting older, and it shows in the songs: the way they're written, sung, and played. Sure, there are still some furious rock tracks on the album, and the band sometimes gets just as carried away as they normally do even on the slower tracks (that's a compliment). But it all sounds more meaningful and beautiful and powerful b/c it's coming from musicians seemingly even more weathered by life, yet sort of at peace with what life has done to them (or, if not at peace, they at least seem to understand it better).

For instance, take one of the standout tracks, "Stranded." It echoes certain tracks from previous records (like maybe "Red Moon") in terms of using wonderfully unexpected and dramatic backing music (echoing an Italian funeral march in this case), but it's much much more potent and heart-breaking b/c you feel like they've lived (i.e., past tense) what they're saying/playing rather than still being stuck in the middle of it, even when the literal words seem to say otherwise. That slight change in perspective makes all the difference in the world, no matter how old the listener is (late 30s in my case).

So if you're new to the Walkmen, I'd say definitely start with this album: it's a great representative of their range and also very accessible. And if you just want to sample a handful of tracks, I say go for "Stranded," "Angela Surf City," "Blue As Your Blood," and "While I Shovel the Snow." They run the gamut from badass surf rock to spooky orchestral driving music to quiet-as-a-December-night confessional. And "Juveniles" is a great welcoming track to ease you into their sound (while still kinda belting you over the head in the end:-). And not to sound like a total fanboy, but I really wish these guys would get more recognition as one of the best bands out there right now.
on April 30, 2011
I thought their previous album was great, but this album falls very short of the last (IMO). I can't even listen to this for more than a couple mins. I can't even say i have a song on the album i enjoy. Very disappointed in their effort on this CD.
44 comments0 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse