on May 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
I recently took up the position of fleet maintenance after the last guy was a complete chump. perfect example: never changing the plugs on one of our 5.4L F-250s.... WITH 150,000 MILES. I about lost my mind. needless to say, the truck ran like complete crap and required the infamous plug change. 6 broken spark plugs later, i thought that i was royally screwed.

Then a light shown through the heavens and bestowed upon me this amazing device. It's as if the Gods of ancient created this magical device in the forges of Mt. Olympus... Hermes could not even have gotten it to me as fast as Amazon did. I was flabbergasted and twitterpated.

This amazing tool worked flawlessly. One bit of advice, be sure to coat the extractor end (left-handed threaded part that goes into the plug) with anti-seize first. this will ensure that it will not fail like others have posted. On the left-handed shaft threads, i also recommend coating them with engine oil.... going a step further, i coated the spark plug threaded portion of the punch tool with anti-seize. make sure you blow out all the little chips before using the extracting tool, too.

Upon first using it, just take your time and don't mind the crunching sound. it's normal. once you remove the first broken plug with ease, ignore that uncomfortable feeling in the front of your pants. that's just the raging excitement you got from realizing that you don't have to go through the terrible task of pulling the cylinder heads.

if i could, i would turn this tool into a woman and make sweet, sweet love to her. just make sure you wipe off all the anti-seize, first. it's not good for your junk.
on January 8, 2010
I just bought one of these and it worked perfectly!

I changed the plugs in my 2005 Ford Expedition. I had access to the Ford Technical bulletin regarding removing the spark plugs. I followed the bulletin to the letter but still broke three spark plugs during removal. One head had one broken plug and the other plug had two broken plugs. I thought I was going to have to remove both heads to get the plugs out!

To compound my troubles, each plug was broken a different way. One just left the metal sleeve in the head. One had a cleanly broken ceramic. One had a jagged broken ceramic piece that extended almost 1/4" above the metal sleeve. I thought for sure I would have to remove both heads.

I looked around the internet and found this tool. At first I thought it was expensive but after reading comment on various boards, I realized it was a real bargain if it worked even for one of the heads. New gaskets cost more for one head than the cost of this tool. Many people have spent thousands to remove broken spark plugs.

I used the tool and it worked like a dream! The first time I used it, it was a little hard to get started but after that it was perfect. It even worked on the plug with the jagged, extended ceramic. The tool broke the ceramic on the top and pushed the piece down as designed. I wish I would have thought to put some grease on a cloth strip and shove it down in the plug hole with a long screwdriver to pick up the broken ceramic. However, I think I got the whole thing cleaned pretty well.

This is an excellent tool and does a near perfect job of removing broken spark plugs from Ford heads. I recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

Erik Salo
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 27, 2010
Verified Purchase
I bought one of these tools before attempting to remove the plugs from my 5.4 Triton engine at 68K Miles which is considerably sooner than fords recommended service interval. I am glad I did, because even after following Fords Technical Service Bulletin for plug removal, I broke one of the plugs. This was due to plug design, not mechanic error. I am a good mechanic, and take my word for it, you need this tool, unless you like playing Russian Roulette. I would not have been able to remove the remaining parts without the Lisle tool, or something like it. You could jury rig something but why bother at this price, which is less than a tank of gas? The reason that I am giving the tool 4 stars, instead of 5 is that I feel it should come from Lisle the way I "Upgraded" mine. I could not get the left handed thread to grip the sleeve that remained in the head, so I took out my trusty Dremel and cut 3 longitudinal grooves in the threads, making the threaded portion into a sort of left handed tap. The tool then worked perfectly. It grabbed the sleeve so well that I actually had a heck of a time getting it off the tools threads.

Like other Triton owners, I am still amazed that Ford would design such a condition, and then pretty much ignore their faithful followers, except to produce a TSB covering their recommended plug removal procedure. ( Do any of you ever recall needing a "Procedures Manual" to change spark plugs?) This was my 5th ford truck, and I am used to swearing by them, not at them.

I would like to add that anyone attempting to tackle this project should make sure that they clear each cylinder with compressed air before and after removing each plug, and immediately install each new plugs after clearing its cylinder. Do this to prevent leaving any dirt, carbon, or ceramic remnants in the cylinders. These would surely tear the hell out of your cylinder walls. Make sure you use some rigid tubing and get down to the top of your pistons, and really blast them well at full pressure. This also removes any remaining solvent you are supposed to use to soften the carbon that builds up along the sleeve. (Plastic ice maker tubing works great) And please wear safety goggles, That same ceramic will also tear the hell out of your eyes.

God Bless, JimA
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2010
Verified Purchase
The Lisle 65600 tool easily removes the spark plug ground electrode shield left behind when the instructions of the Ford Technical Service Bulletin 08-7-6 fails to help in removing the spark plugs in one piece. When I removed the first plug I noticed that the self tapping screw of the removal tool was starting to gall, and I questioned its ability to adequately perform on all 8 plugs. From this point on I applied a thin coating of nickel based anti seize compound to the screw and inside of the plug's ground electrode shield, and this prevented further galling. On 3 of the plugs, when the ceramic was driven down and broke the metal loop of the ground electrode shield pieces of ceramic broke off and fell into the cylinder. I vacuumed this out through the spark plug hole using a shop vac and small hose. The Ford garage wanted $722 for parts and labor to replace the spark plugs. I spent $65 for the tool and $136 for the "improved design" Champion 7989 spark plugs (gap to .045"), saving myself $521.
on April 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
All I can say is wow for my recently acquired (24 hrs ago) Lisle 65600 Broken Spark Plug Remover for Ford Triton 3 Valve Engines. I purchase new and extracted 4 plugs from my 2006 F150 Supercrew this morning. Tool is in excellent condition after use. These are common notes I gleaned from other successful users on the web to prolong the life of the tool - I encourage you to take your time and read them:

1. With each plug you extract reapply several (3-4) dabs of new motor oil to the inside of the pusher body and 1-2 dabs to the threading of the pusher screw. This will allow the unit to pop that plug tip with ease. I used new Quaker State 10W30. Try it you will see how much better it moves. Perform this step before each individual plug extraction.

2. Reapply Anti-Seize compound on the tip of the puller screw prior to each extraction and this piece will act as a tapping lube and stay sharp. I had *zero* problems gripping the porcelain/broken tip and each came right out (see pic of 4 complete and 4 broken)

3. Be sure you have a deep 15/16 socket for extracting using the left hand hex nut. The socket is obviously not included in the set. This was the one unique tool I didn't have prior to using this kit that I had to purchase at Autozone (my largest was 1" and I had a 7/8"). [Actually it turned out that the 1" deep would have worked to extract the final hex nut step but the 15/16 is the actual size]

4. IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT USED KITS - A new kit comes with silver puller housing, puller screw, left hand hex nut, 4x plastic gaskets (I only used one for all four plugs I pulled), pusher body, pusher screw, and punch/tip.

Finally - I replaced the rotten-junk motorcraft plugs with Champion 7989 plugs I gapped to 0.045. Engine purrs now. I'm Happy. Can't believe how well this removal tool worked. SERIOUSLY SAVED MY BUTT.

Be careful, read all the detailed directions included, take your time, and feel free to email with any questions. You will be very happy after being sooo upset about this Ford plug issue. It's certainly a sense of accomplishment. Save hundreds if not thousands of your hard earned dollar$.
review image review image review image
on November 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
Like most reviews have stated, this tool is worth every penny. Luckily, I studied the F-150 forums and found that these plugs typically break off during change. So I bought the tool before hand. I got through six plugs without breaking, and I was beginning to think I had wasted my money buying this tool, then low and behold, the last two plugs broke off. The tool worked perfectly on both plugs. The only thing I will say negatively, is that the instructions say that it is idiot proof, and that you CAN'T push the porcelain down too far. This is not true, for you surely CAN, which I did both times. What happens is the porcelain will push into the metal tip at the other end of the spark plug and split it in two. Both times this happened, and resulted in a few chipped pieces of the porcelain and a few broken pieces of the metal being left IN the cylinder. This isn't good. But if it happens to you, this is what my mechanic neighbor told me to do: take all the wires off the plugs and crank the engine over a few times (without a plug in the cylinder). What happens is the when you do that, it blows all the chipped pieces out - and I verified this by watching the pieces blow out. I now have over 10K miles on it since the change and there has been absolutely no problems. Hope this helps someone. Buy the product.
on November 6, 2010
Verified Purchase
I received the tool yesterday in the mail. This tool worked perfectly! I had four plugs broken and was able to remove them all in about an hour. Easy to use and very inexpensive for what it does. I would recommend this to anyone. Thank you
on June 30, 2011
Verified Purchase
I very rarely write product reviews, but I was so impressed with this tool that here I am, writing a review.

I don't know who designed the spark plugs or the seating arrangement for the Triton 3v engine, but if I ever meet him I'll shake him warmly by the neck because it's a horrible piece of engineering. Despite being as careful as I possibly could, I was left with 3 out of 8 plugs broken and stuck in the engine with no clue about how to remove them without a very expensive trip to the garage.

Luckily, a friend mentioned that there was a tool available that was specifically designed for this problem so a quick Google took me to Amazon and a selection of tools for this job. I picked the 'Lisle (LIS65600) Broken Spark Plug Remover for Ford Triton 3 Valve Engines' based on the number and quality of the reviews and sent in my order. I used the expedited shipping option, which was a no brainer as my truck was immobile while it sat with 3 broken plugs. Delivery was reasonably fast - I ordered on Sunday and the tool was at my door on Wednesday; no complaints there.

On opening the package, I find that the tool is actually 2 tools, one for each step in the removal process and is housed in its own sturdy plastic box with instructions (both written and pictorial) which were easy to follow and a few spare nylon washers. Everything was well made and I was able to put it to work straight away.

I was curious about how the tool would work until I was able to hold it and figure it out - it's pretty simple and very effective. The first tool is used to push the ceramic down through the plug to leave a gap between the ceramic and the top of the stuck sleeve. The second tool is screwed down into this gap, cutting a thread into the inside of the plug sleeve and gripping in firmly. Then it's just a matter of turning the nut that pulls on the threaded section, withdrawing it and the broken plug from the engine.

I cannot overstate how easy this tool was to use and how effective it was in removing the broken plugs! From starting the process to standing with the extracted broken plug in my hand took around 10 minutes per plug. The ONLY thing I would mention with this item is that because there isn't a lot of room in an engine bay to turn a wrench you'll need to have a set of deep sockets available.

A well made tool, very good price, quick delivery and it performed exactly as advertised without any fuss. I'm almost looking forward to the next plug change so I can use it again!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 24, 2010
Verified Purchase
Tool worked perfect for the 2 plugs i had break on cylinder 2 and 3. Pusher pushes porcelin down just enough to thread the tap extractor in. Then torque the nut on the top to extract broken piece. I could see wear on the threads of the tap after 2 uses. I had read others complain of quick wear and tear (the newer the tool, the sharper the tap, the better grip it will cut in the broken plug). I have seen other sites just selling the tap bolt but I would easily imagine this would be good for one whole spark plug change.
review image
on January 11, 2011
Verified Purchase
So I decided to do a spark plug change on my 2005 Ford Expedition with the 5.4L engine, easy right? WRONG! Two broken spark plugs even though I followed the newest TSB (soaked overnight in carb cleaner). At first I thought I was going to have to call the tow truck, pay a mechanic to extract the plugs, possibly remove the heads, etc.

After some research I decided to order this tool. I was able to extract the first plug with no issues and was feeling much more confident about being able to complete the job. It turned out that the first extraction messed up the threads on the tool (it's possible that I didn't give it enough turns), so I had to order another tool to get the second broken plug. In the end it was still cheaper to complete this myself and the tool really does work and the included directions are good too. I was able to change out all 8 plugs in my driveway and get back on the road again.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations