Thought it would be helpful to get a list started of USB and eSATA external drives which are compatible with the Oppo. List any external devices you've had experience with including those which aren't compatible with the Oppo -93. Product models/Product links might be appreciated.
Listing duplicates would reinforce devices that work well.
If you can remember or have time, also list what file formats you've used on your drives and any tips.
Hope this is of interest and that others will contribute!
Oppo BDP-93 Compatible devices I've used:
1) Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive (Black). Re-formatted (to NTFS again) to get rid of the software using Disk Management on pc. The USB port and connector are `wonky' (dual USB with a micro 3.0) - if it pulls out just a smidge it'll stop working, otherwise fine. Did not partition.
2) Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive. This is a powered drive so a power supply (outlet) is needed. Comes preformatted NTFS and no software. I keep this one connected to my Oppo at all times now - powers off when the Oppo is off. Did not partition.
3) Transcend 16 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive [Amazon Frustration Free Package] - TS16GJF500 (Black/Green). Also the 32GB.
4) Sony Micro Vault Click 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive with Virtual Expander USM8GL. Various sizes starting at 1GB.
5) SanDisk Flash Cruzer Edge USB 8 GB Flash Drive SDCZ51-008G Black
6) Western Digital My Passport Essential 250 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Midnight Black).
7) Maxtor/Seagate 60 GB USB External Hard Drive (old, rated very low, but still works after 3 years).
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as of 8-9-11 the Oppo -93 does not support 3TB or higher drives, though it's possible Oppo's working on this.
I've yet to try eSATAs as I like that USB's are hot-swappable. I don't partition my external drives, and don't have problems with them. Some prefer to partition 1TB and higher drives. Thus far found no non Oppo -93 compatible USB flash or external drives.
Files successfully used on above external drives thus far:
WMV (audio and video codec 9), FLAC, MP3, M4A, JPG, GIF, DIVX, AVI, MP4, Blu-Rays & DVDs - I prefer ISO's because they don't need the AVCHD folder structure.
Anyone else care to share?