ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

List your Oppo BDP-93 Compatible External Drives

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2011 7:45:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2011 4:46:53 PM PDT
Charlee L. says:
Thought it would be helpful to get a list started of USB and eSATA external drives which are compatible with the Oppo. List any external devices you've had experience with including those which aren't compatible with the Oppo -93. Product models/Product links might be appreciated.
Listing duplicates would reinforce devices that work well.
If you can remember or have time, also list what file formats you've used on your drives and any tips.

Hope this is of interest and that others will contribute!

Oppo BDP-93 Compatible devices I've used:

1) Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive (Black). Re-formatted (to NTFS again) to get rid of the software using Disk Management on pc. The USB port and connector are `wonky' (dual USB with a micro 3.0) - if it pulls out just a smidge it'll stop working, otherwise fine. Did not partition.
2) Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive. This is a powered drive so a power supply (outlet) is needed. Comes preformatted NTFS and no software. I keep this one connected to my Oppo at all times now - powers off when the Oppo is off. Did not partition.
3) Transcend 16 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive [Amazon Frustration Free Package] - TS16GJF500 (Black/Green). Also the 32GB.
4) Sony Micro Vault Click 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive with Virtual Expander USM8GL. Various sizes starting at 1GB.
5) SanDisk Flash Cruzer Edge USB 8 GB Flash Drive SDCZ51-008G Black
6) Western Digital My Passport Essential 250 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Midnight Black).
7) Maxtor/Seagate 60 GB USB External Hard Drive (old, rated very low, but still works after 3 years).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as of 8-9-11 the Oppo -93 does not support 3TB or higher drives, though it's possible Oppo's working on this.

I've yet to try eSATAs as I like that USB's are hot-swappable. I don't partition my external drives, and don't have problems with them. Some prefer to partition 1TB and higher drives. Thus far found no non Oppo -93 compatible USB flash or external drives.

Files successfully used on above external drives thus far:
WMV (audio and video codec 9), FLAC, MP3, M4A, JPG, GIF, DIVX, AVI, MP4, Blu-Rays & DVDs - I prefer ISO's because they don't need the AVCHD folder structure.

Anyone else care to share?

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 10:51:27 AM PST
Michael says:
I'm using a 3TB Seagate with my Oppo BDP-93

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 3:46:25 PM PST
Charlee L. says:
Michael: Did you partition your Seagate? Just wondering. As of July 2011, I noted several comments in another forum stating the WD 3TB and a Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB not being compatible with this Oppo. Perhaps they've since made some changes. Could you be more specific about the model of your Seagate - might be of help to those of us wanting a larger external drive. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 8:32:11 AM PST
Using a Western Digital My Passport 500GB 2.0 it its working well. I do have a question for MAC users. It appears that OPPO cannot read Mac formatted had drives (using a G-Drive 2TB esata did NOT work). If I format to FAT32 it will work, however this breaks my ability to do mirrored backups on a Mac. Anyone have any suggestions for a Mac user to successfully mirror a 'master' mac formatted drive for scheduled backups to my 'working' FAT32 Oppo drive?

Would there be a big performance boost using esata vs. usb (either playback or folder navigation)

Thanks ! Loving the OPPO !

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 11:32:12 AM PST
D. Williams says:
I use a Seagate FreeAgent Go 320 GB USB 2.0 External HD partitioned into two unequal sizes. It recognizes both partitions and I can select them separately.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 1:22:53 AM PST
J. Gerald says:
Is it Better to hook up your Oppo BDP-93 to your AVR through HDMI hook or go directly to TV

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 1:41:13 AM PST
Richard says:
I hook mine up to both. One to the audio hdmi on the avr and one to the video hdmi on the monitor.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 6:43:45 PM PST
Charlee L. says:
Michael S Maloney: Sorry so late in response... eSATA should be faster than USB - at least in file transferring so I should think yes to your question, but since I have no personal experience (using the Oppo with an eSATA external) I can't say playback or folder nav would be any faster as an absolute. I currently use only USB. I've not experienced any serious lag time in folder navigation, movie/song selection, or playback with USB on my external drives - only the initial recognition time of the external drive when powering up. Not sure if eSATA would address that.

Perhaps someone who's used both USB and eSATA externals can comment on drive recognition, folder navigation, and playback?

J. Gerald: As Cy Gone mentioned, if you are using an AVR, Oppo recommends using two HDMI's for dedicated connection. As stated in the user manual, HDMI 1 should go to your display to take advantage of the Marvell chipset (HDMI 2 to receiver).

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:12:10 AM PDT
armov says:
Is it actually possible to play a bluray .iso image from the 93 unit using an external drive???

Posted on May 8, 2012 4:59:22 PM PDT
Charlee L. says:
Armov: ISO is no longer supported by Oppo. The studios control the licensing for BDA and Oppo was forced to comply as they couldn't afford to lose this license (since they primarily manufacture blu ray players). ISO playback was never officially supported by Oppo, just a nice extra many of us have enjoyed. You can however use the folder structure to put your movies on an external drive - that does work. I'm in the process of re-converting from ISO to the folder structure now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Aug 13, 2011
Latest post:  May 8, 2012

Search Customer Discussions