5.0 out of 5 stars Top of my jazz stack!, March 11, 2003
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
Sometimes I have to wonder where I've been all my life & what I've been doing. Having been around music all my life and having been radio disc jockey for 20 years, how could I have missed Gene Harris? A few weeks ago I was listening to WRTI FM, Temple University public radio out of Philadelphia when the dj played a cut from a Gene Harris cd. I was floored and immediately went to Amazon.com "Music" to look him up. Amazon.com lists 34 cd's by Harris, so how did I miss him all these years? Well, no matter. Now that I've discovered him, all I can say is that this one of the finest jazz pianists I've heard with an equally potent quartet. I only have one other Harris cd to compare this one to (Gene Harris plus 1) and I have to say I like this one the best even though the other is a live performance. The selections are nicely balanced and the group just swings the whole way through the entire album. If you've got company coming or you're just by yourself, this album will fill the bill. I feel certain this will NOT be my last Gene Harris purchase. Right now "Listen Here" is on the top of my jazz stack.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is wonderful!, January 27, 2003
Paul Phelps (Ambler, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
Gene Harris is a true master of his craft. This quartet makes beautiful music; this group is one of which I want all their recordings (and I'm in process of getting it). The mood of the music is very uplifting! The audio signal is clear, as are all Concord Records I've bought. This quartet consists of Gene Harris on piano (and band leader), Ron Eschete on guitar, Jeff Hamilton on drums, and the late GREAT Ray Brown on bass! All ten tracks are beautiful, beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, January 11, 2007
Bob L. "Robert Lanson" (Tarpon Springs, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
Just when you think Gene Harris's legacy can't get any better, along comes this album which will knock your socks off. Definitly one of his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gene Harris always 10 stars, September 5, 2005
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
In classical music for piano, I think Frederic Chopin is the inspired composer with a refined harmony. Franz Liszt is the greatest virtuose and his music reflects an unbeatable technique. Bach is the analytical, polyphony master also creating very beautiful music.

For people that do not know Gene Harris, here is my mathematical comparison:

(OscarPeterson)/Liszt = (BillEvans)/Bach = (GeneHarris)/Chopin

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Harris Piano In This Great Quartet, May 19, 2014
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
Yes, you need to LISTEN HERE for a jazz quartet divine! At 69, I'm just starting to appreciate America's gift to the world.
Gene Harris is pianist extraordinaire --- every note a delight! The guys backing him are no slouches either!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Grunt" Worthy genius, July 22, 2013
This review is from: Listen Here! (MP3 Music)
Gene Harris is an amazing musician from the ballad-like, "To You" to the bluesy jam,"Blues for Jezebel." I would recommend this album to anyone. A classic and must get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable!, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
Such talent; such passion expressed through the keys. You feel upbeat and just want to move. Lullabye.....not for sleeping! If you've considered purchasing this, then do so! ** make sure you get the right one though, this one did not play on my pc. Plays in the car or on a mac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Swinging Piano Quartet, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
This is a very enjoyable jazz record, particularly suitable as background music for parties and dinners. Lots of swingin', toe-tapping numbers; but still soft and subtle!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz just doesn't get any better than this!!, August 25, 2011
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
OK, so I admit I'm coming late to the party! Up until a year ago, I didn't know who Gene Harris was/is. I bought this CD on the strength of a 5-star review here, and if I could give it 6-stars, I would. This is music that makes you glad to have ears!
This ensemble-Gene Harris/p, Ron Eschete/g, Ray Brown/b, and Jeff Hamilton/d just reminds you of all the things you love about this thing called jazz: lyricism, irony, spice, humor, elegance: the opener, a cover of Leon Russell's classic "This Masquerade" has to be one of the most elegant ballads this listener has ever heard. And can they SWING!! Gene's blues licks on "Don't Be That Way" will make you get up out of your chair and make a fool of yourself, aided and abetted by Ron Eschete's suave(when was the last time you could use that word?), pitch-perfect guitar riffs. This is the Real Deal. Go get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, September 27, 2014
This review is from: Listen Here (Audio CD)
Great jazz! Hadn't heard of Harris until I heard his music recently at a friend's place -- WOW -- can't believe what I was missing out on. Looking for more of his recordings now.

Listen Here
Listen Here by Gene Harris (Audio CD - 1989)