‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Friends always tell each other the truth -- even when it hurts!, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Listen to My Trumpet! (An Elephant and Piggie Book) (Hardcover)
This installment in the Mo Willems "Piggie and Elephant" franchise, "Listen to My Trumpet", has Piggie wowing Gerald with her new trumpet. Gerald listens. Gerald winces. Sadly, she's no Satchmo. Gerald tries to think of nice things to say that will not hurt Piggies feelings:

1. it's "shiny"
2. it's "loud"
3. Piggie "holds it well"

But of course much as she likes hearing that stuff -- that is not enough for Piggie. She wants more -- she wants to know what he REALLY thinks! And Gerald, being a great friend, conscientiously decides he should tell her the truth -- albeit as gently as possible.

It has a fun twist at the end, and once again shows children though the charming relationship between these two best friends, exactly what being a true friend is all about -- honesty, love, trust, compassion and concern.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerald and Piggy's friendship is tested by some pretty bad trumpet playing ... "Kl-ack! Gr-elp!!!", March 26, 2012
Gerald the elephant's eyes widened as Piggy came running at him, calling his name and offering him a stool. "Sit! Sit! Sit!" Piggy was all excited and ran off as soon as Gerald was sitting on that teeny weeny stool. She quickly came back with a trumpet in hand, announced her find, and snuggled up to Gerald and asked if he wanted to hear her play. Of course he did. After all, that's what friends are for. Piggy smiled as she hugged her trumpet and got ready to play.

Piggy blew and he blew and she blew until she got red in the face. Gerald was taken aback and then all of a sudden "Bluuuurrk!" It was a horrible sound that knocked poor Gerald right off the stool. It was so bad that even his nose crinkled up in shock. Piggy exclaimed, "Wait. That was not right." No, it was not right, it was awful. Piggy peered into her trumpet and "Bl-ap! Fr-ip! Br-ip! Vr-ip!" tried again. Things went from bad to worse and then Piggy wanted to know what Gerald thought of her playing. What would happen if he told her the truth? Would they still be friends?

Gerald and Piggy's friendship is tested by some pretty bad trumpet playing. This is yet another inimitable Mo Willems book about this charming duo. Everyone from the preschooler to the adult can't help but fall in love with them. Nonreader and emergent readers will enjoy "reading" along with an adult. Youngsters everywhere will love Piggy's hilarious antics and her less than stellar musical talents. The artwork is bold and expressive. I particularly how Willems caught every nuance on Gerald's face. Can he really face the music? You'll just have to add this one to your list and find out?

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Noisy Fun!, March 12, 2012
I have read this with several of my art classes and the kids LOVED the book. They loved the noises Piggy makes with her trumpet; they loved hearing me try to imitate the sounds Piggy made! Many of my most reluctant readers could not get enough of it and wanted to know if the school library had this one. Wow! A book that makes kids WANT to read! Not bad!

4.0 out of 5 stars funny, but exhausting to read, October 4, 2013
Maybe I'm overdoing the "trumpet" sounds, but this book exhausts me when I'm reading it to my daughter! It's not as funny as the others, but it seems to entertain my daughter when I almost hurt myself making ugly trumpet noises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit!, March 14, 2012
Another hit by Mo Willems. My child fell in love with is writing and beloved Piggie and Elephant around age 3 and has been a fan ever since (now 5 yo). Lots of fun sounds that Piggie makes and it's only until the end we find out what he's really trying to make with his trumpet. Great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the (awesome) same, with new!, February 27, 2012
a reader (Western Washington) - See all my reviews
The Elephant and Piggie series is a sure thing with our 3yo (and 8yo for that matter), and this installment is no exception. Kids just love it, and it respects adults' intelligence. No big surprises there.

I found it interesting that Willems apparently changed his drawing techniques a little for this one: the lines have a varied thickness and are thicker overall, with some texture. It's more expressive, though at first it seemed more primitive. Elephant and Piggie are still inimitably themselves, yet just a little different. I like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars not for a VERY begining reader unless it's been read to him/her many times before, February 25, 2013
Rita (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I love the series, but this time I must give a caveat for those who are looking for the VERY basic words along with an entertaining book. "Listen" is a hard word for a very beginner to pronounce correctly when the syllables are pronounced separately.

from a retired elementary school librarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 8, 2014
My daughter loves the Elephant and Piggie books. Mo Willems is a great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Elephant and Piggie books, June 29, 2014
Love Elephant and Piggie books and this one is no different. There is often an unexpected twist in the books, which is delightful. I like how the talk bubbles are in different colors so kids learn who is speaking what parts. I like how text is used to teach reading without a mono tone of voice. My kids (and the grown ups!) love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, June 26, 2014
MaryAnn Smith (Grove City, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I love Mo Willems! His books are great for children. I will use this book in my Kindergarten classroom every year.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Listen to My Trumpet! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
Listen to My Trumpet! (An Elephant and Piggie Book) by Mo Willems (Hardcover - February 7, 2012)
$8.99 $8.09