5.0 out of 5 stars as good as it gets
This book was published to mark the recent recording of the ten thousandth interview by the StoryCorps Project. Perhaps you have heard excerpts from some of these interviews on National Public Radio?

David Isay had the idea that he wanted to record the stories of regular folks-like you an I. He set up the first recording booth in Grand Central Station. For ten...
Published on November 12, 2007 by Richard Cumming

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but I prefer the audio interviews
I really like listening to Story Corp interviews on NPR. However, I'm not all that impressed by this collection. It's fine, but it's nothing outstanding. I just think that transcripts of interviews are not as touching to read as they are to hear. These aren't "essays," after all. They're merely people telling their respective stories, and the original medium for them...
Published on August 15, 2009 by citygal

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful resource for teaching about oral history!!, January 17, 2008
I ADORE this book! I'm a middle school English and History teacher and am using this book (and the accompanying CD and "How To" booklet that I purchased at Starbucks this month) in my classroom. I can pick up the book anytime, anywhere, and find something meaningful, something absolutely beautiful in the lines. Real lessons from real people. It's great for the classroom and it's great for me, personally, to read about regular people who have absolutely astounding stories to tell. The book is just full of tears for me. I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great stories, October 5, 2008
If you love the real life stories you hear on NPR this is for you. Touching and poignant, listening to these give you hope and understanding for people in many different walks of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful compilation that will touch your heart., April 25, 2008
StoryCorps is America's largest oral history project and was begun in 2003 by Dave Isay.

I became aware of this book while listening to the StoryCorps excerpts that air on NPR Friday mornings. One morning in particular I heard the story of the unofficial spokes people for StoryCorps, Annie and Danny.

Their love affair is told in the final pages of the book, the chapter entitled "The Story of StoryCorps." When my daughter and I heard their segment on NPR that morning on our way to the coffee shop, we were held mesmerized until it came to an end. It was one of those "transfixed in the parking lot" moments. We sat there, tears streaming down our faces until the end. We didn't go inside for our time of coffee and conversation until we could compose ourselves. That was the day I heard about and decided I had to have this book.

There are two versions, one which comes with a CD and one without. I made the mistake of saving a buck and going without. I recommend getting the CD. I suspect it makes the experience all the more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, the book is fabulous and full of stories that fill your heart with light and love.

Every section of the book has heart-wrenching pieces. Stories that will define the American experience. The section entitled Fire and Water is particularly emotional as it deals with stories from the World Trade Center on 9/11/2001 and Hurricane Katrina.

I will recommend this book, and give it as gifts to my parents and others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learing for Understanding, February 8, 2008
There was enlightenment in this book. I read it in one seating and some of the stories were so unique that I went back and reread them. It is like listening to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars We all share the same hopes and dreams for ourselves and our families, January 22, 2008
Simple stories that bring out what we have in common rather than our differences. These stories could have been told on any continent on this earth. The stories were from people of different cultures, socio-economic conditions, religons etc... We all want the same things. We all have good times and bad times. I hope that anyone that reads this book realizes we are more alike than different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading it is an act of joy, January 2, 2008
Linda Novenski (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
As a regular listener to the Story Corp Project's radio broadcasts, I was already interested in the idea of ordinary people telling their stories and the wisdom they impart. This book reveals the full range of humanity, from tragedy to comedy, and it is all non-fiction. The sections are grouped thematically which gives a sense of flow over groups of interviews. The stories are short enough to read in those times of waiting for an appointment, or riding the bus. Each one touched me like an act of kindness. A good book to give as a gift!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great human interest stories, April 23, 2008
These are great stories from everyday people. If our legacy is the stories of our lives that we share with others, then this CD is what we should all be recording for our family and friends. I only wish there were more than the 20 included.

4.0 out of 5 stars Personally Touching, February 24, 2008
This book gives a very personal insight into the every day lives of people like you and me. I wouldn't call it a history because it doesn't include any major events. It's a peoples history and I would recommend it to any one of my family or friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Human, truthful, remarkable, February 19, 2008
In this day and age of "reality" shows, celebrity drama, and media incompetence, it is good to read something that is human and honest.

The stories contained within this collection run the gamut of humorous and touching, bust out loud hilarious and emotionally devastating. It told through the mouths of our fellow citizens from their hearts, there are no disengenuity here, no falsehood, just what people know and think. The StoryCorp radio program is an incredibly touching experience, a none stop driveway moment. The incredible part is that people are so honest and imperturbable when going through the emotional roller coasters of their memories. I read the book prepared to be moved, but I was not prepared, and I could not be more prepared to be moved as much as this. I suspect that there are much more of the same locked away in the library of congress archives, I just hope that posterity will enjoy this gift from the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Inspirations, February 15, 2008
Such a simple idea - record two people who are connected in some way talking. The transcripts of the sessions are breathtaking; it is as if you are eavesdropping on an intimate conversation, each with a special message meant for only you to hear.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project
Used & New from: $1.55