From the Back Cover
New to the Third Edition
- The new edition has an increased emphasis on listening purpose and context as variables in determining which components of the HURIER model will be most important for listening effectiveness. The increased emphasis will move students from skill development to how skills are applied to achieve desired results.
- A new section on Emotional Intelligence now appears in Chapter 6, showing its relevance to interpreting messages and explaining how emotional intelligence can improve listening skills.
- A new section on appreciative listening appears in Chapter 3 to help students respond to today’s stressful environment and the need for approaches to relaxation.
- Because the rapid increase in technology has changed the way we listen, more coverage on listening and technology has been added throughout the text.
- The new edition has been thoroughly updated with current research and new examples to provide the most recent information available.
[This text] includes fabulous activities and application exercises, case studies, and concise chapters. . . . I have already adopted this book and, in the face of other listening texts reviewed, will remain with this text. . . .
Lisa Abramson, Western Oregon University
The HURIER model and organizing the book around it are major strengths of this book. . .[which are] especially important when teachers are increasingly required to measure course outcomes as part of program assessment.
Thomas Marshall, Robert Morris University --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.