Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Listening Booth: 1970
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 23, 2010
I have to disagree with some of the reviewers. I think Marc Cohn was trying to take songs from his childhood, and make them his own. He's not trying to top Cat Steven, Paul McCartney et al. Marc has a remarkably warm and soulful voice, and it comes through on this album.

If Mr. Cohn was trying to just "cash in", he would not have selected such an eclectic collection of songs and then recorded them with such different arrangements. Instead he puts his stamp on these songs.

If you are looking for straight covers, than I think you missed the point. But if you are looking for cool and emotional versions of some brilliant 1970's songs, this is for you.
on August 8, 2010
Wow.

This record is awesome. I got it my local Starbucks this morning and have been playing it all day long. I had no idea who Marc Cohn was when I bought the CD. It just looked like a CD I had to buy. Then I Wiki'd him and read that he did "Walking in Memphis", and thought "I like that song", but it never stuck with me who the artist was even after hearing it on the radio a million times.

I think this CD is fantastic. The liner notes say it all. I am Marc's age and am also a musician and this is the project that I would love to do if I had the time and money.

I was the same age as Marc when I heard these songs. God bless him for being to able to document his artistic tipping point and having the resources to do this. This is very good. I especially like his arrangement of "New Speedway Boogie."

Thanks Marc.
on July 31, 2010
I have been a fan of Mr Cohn for a while. I lived in Memphis in the earl 70s and his first hit took me back. This new collection was great cover of other works. I enjoyed Mr. Cohn's interprutation of these tunes, in may ways more then I enjoyed the originals. It's hard for an artist to do this kind of thing and not sound like a poor second. In this case this album makes these tunes new again. But like candy, I sure could use some more.....
on October 25, 2011
The first thing that hit me about this CD is "why is he recording oldies rather than writing his own?" In my opinion, Marc Cohn is one of the best songwriters around. He is also a great musician and vocalist.
Maybe he wanted to make music and didn't have enough written. Maybe he wanted to take an album off. Who knows? James Taylor, among others, has done the same.
He did choose good songs to cover. I won't touch on all of the songs, just the most interesting ones. Frankly, I like the way in which he did all of the songs, but "Make It with You" is outstanding. For the first time since I was 16 and trying to entice a young lady, I really like the song. It's a wonderful blues rendition with help from India Arie.
"Into The Mystic" is very well done. I doubt anyone will ever beat the master, Van Morrison, but it is well done. I think this was an interesting choice because I have always thought of Marc and Van as similar talents.
Marc's "Maybe I'm Amazed" may actually be better than Sir Paul's version. At least, I like it.
The version of "After Midnight" on this CD is more reminiscent of J.J. Cale than Eric Clapton. That to me is a good thing.
The other songs are done well, too. These are different versions, not copies of the originals. They are fun.
I do recommend the CD, although I am eagerly awaiting a new Marc Cohn CD of original material. This just whets my appetite.
on June 1, 2014
I am a Marc Cohn fan who was still skeptical heading in to my first listen. Here he is singing some of my favorite songs by some of my favorite artist and I couldn't conceive him doing a Simon and Garfunkel song like 'Only Living Boy In New York'. As it turns out it is the best song on the CD and just as enjoyable as the S & G original. Would recommend to anyone wanting to add a great pop rock album to their music library.
on January 24, 2015
Usually not a fan of cover albums but I love Marc Cohn and I love the seventies for music...This was a particularly strong year from music and he does a good job capturing some of that magic.....See hime live if you get the chance...Great on concert
on April 11, 2015
I just saw Marc Cohn in concert in March 2015 and he performed a song or two from this album. I decided to give it a try. I really enjoy it. He adds a nice spin to a number of songs that I enjoyed 40+ years ago.
on August 22, 2013
Bought this after hearing him sing some of the songs. (He played with Mary Chapin Carpenter at Chautauqua Auditorium, Boulder, CO July, 2013)

I'm glad he did these songs. Starting with Wild World, Into the Mystic, and others. They're all good. All memories from the past and all right now. Wow.
on January 6, 2013
This is one of those albums that you may never have heard of, but you should. It captures the music of just one year: 1970; and while most are true to the original recording, several have a spin on it that helps Marc call it his own.

A keeper here.

Well worth a listen, and a rotation in just about any CD collection.
on September 15, 2011
Marc is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. I have enjoyed all of his music since the first time I heard Walking in Memphis in the early 90's. I saw him live in a small theater near Philly, what a great show! Listening Booth is a good effort, but it lacks the soul of Marc's other work. Wild World and The Only Living Boy in New York City stand out as memorable songs for me. I am ready for another original Marc Cohen effort.