4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Mouthwash But Not End All Be All
Published 8 months ago by Carolyn Mabbitt

2.0 out of 5 stars Nasty leaves my mouth numb
I even like regular Listerine better than this one. My whole mouth goes very numb. Not regular alcohol numb. Like a coating of numbness in my mouth. Not a good feeling. I can't gargle it cause it immediately bubbles up. I hope I can get through the whole bottle. I hate to waste money.
Published on July 3, 2012 by Karen

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Mouthwash But Not End All Be All, March 10, 2014
This review is from: Listerine Total Care Plus Whitening Mouthwash, Fresh Mint, 32 Ounce (Health and Beauty)
I want you guys to know that I’ve tried a bunch of different whitening products and have come to the realization that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for getting your teeth white. This Listerine product is strong, stronger than anything else they make (It has over 21% alcohol content and hydrogen peroxide!) These agents are what causes people to hate this product (you’ll see a lot of 1 stars on this product) but also the reason why it will make your mouth free of germs and whitened! You must know that going in, you’re not going to get white teeth without these types of ingredients. That said, this product won’t whiten your teeth like a professional teeth whitening kit.

I’ve been using This Whitening Kit in combination with Listerine to really get my lustrous shine you’ll see all the news agents flash when they smile at the camera. The reason why a whitening kit like the one I linked work better is simply because the amount of time it’s in your mouth. Listerine is in your mouth for a max 30 seconds to 1 minute (if you’re brave). You’re not going to see major whitening results form this unless you use it daily for 6 months. If you need a fast turn-around time on getting whiter teeth then you need to use Listerine AND a whitening solution. I chose the gel solution as opposed to the strips because they come with heat-molded trays that fit your mouth.

Overall this is a good product, if not a bit controversial like some of the other reviewers have mentioned. It comes with a powerful punch, and not many people can handle it. If you’re looking to maximize your teeth-whitening potential I’d try to is conjunction with the gel product, OR if you’re a little weary about it, you should try a lower-strength Listerine along-side a true teeth whitening product. This Listerine is great, but not for the weak or weak-minded.

5.0 out of 5 stars 16 oz of awesome, October 3, 2011
I affectionately refer to this product as Battery Acid. Yes, it burns. It burns worse than anything else. It took me a month of continuous use to stop getting all watery-eyed after 60 seconds (not only does it burn more, but you have to use it for twice as long as regular Listerine).

But boy let me tell you, this stuff works. The whitening works really well, I'd say just as good as the Crest whitestrips or better (having tried those a couple years ago). And my teeth have never felt cleaner. If you're uninsured and don't go to the dentist very often, this is your new insurance. It does a serious job. Man up and get used to the burn. It's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, Grow Up!, May 9, 2011
Whaaaaaa, it tastes bad. Ok, so does that mean it doesn't work? I don't think that's the point.

Rinsing with chocolate milk syrup wouldn't be advisable. Just sayin'.

Sorry, I don't rush to write a review for anything, but this kinda deserves a better. After using it for 2 weeks, my son and I had whiter teeth, fresher breath and I notice a nice 'slick' feeling every time I use it.

But, in the interest of fairness to people who complain about the strength of the product, I don't use it as a straight mouth wash. My son is autistic an oral health is a challenge, to say the least. After a really depressing dental visit (the last of several) I decided to change things up.

Dental pics out. Waterpick in.

Child Toothpaste out. Colgate Complete in.

Sweet toothbrush w/charterers out. Sonicare in.

At 11, my son had 4 cavities and needed a full mouth scaling. Yay, mom of the year! He drinks no soda and is not fond of sweets.

The most troubling aspect of our new regimen was that he couldn't 'rinse and spit' and ingesting fluoride is not a good idea. On a whim I tried Purple Listerine and he rinsed ok, but I couldn't tell if he was really rinsing.

The foaming bubbles show me he's getting everything out he should and he actually enjoys the clean mouth.

Our last visit was an in and out with virtually no work needed.

Complain all you want, but I have to say this is among the best oral care products we have tried.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nasty leaves my mouth numb, July 3, 2012
Karen (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 6, 2011
samsgang "Sam" (Swampscott, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Don't be fooled by the Listerine name. Because this is alcohol free it is much less astringent and works just as well as the nasty tasting usual Listerine. Not only does the breath freshener property work very well it is also good for healthy teeth.
Highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising, but no good..., February 25, 2012
I bought this at my local drugstore after reading the reviews on amazon. While it seemed promising with its 6 benefits and zero alcohol, it left my mouth feeling tight and left a bitter taste in my mouth that lingered for hours.

Two hours after I used it, the skin in my mouth started to peel off, something that never happened with Crest Pro-Health alcohol free products. My taste buds were also fairly numb four hours later.

I'm sure this is a good product, but it's not for me. I would not recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Listerine product that doesn't make me gag, March 8, 2012
EFS (Dayton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
When my dental hygienist recommended Listerine Total Care I said no way. I have never been able to tolerate the taste of any Listerine product in the past. She encouraged me to try "the one in the purple bottle" so I promised I would but said I was sure I wouldn't like it.

I got the Total Care Plus Whitening and can't say I've noticed the whitening effects yet but I'm assuming it happens gradually over time. Don't know how it "builds enamel" or how one would know if it was happening so I can't speak to that.

Surprisingly, it really is the first Listerine mouthwash I've liked. The taste is very strong but does not have Listerine's typical underlying taste (you know--the flavor that is how you would imagine a pine-scented floor cleaner might taste). This flavor is strong mint but tolerable.

It does burn, no getting around that, but I have not had the extreme reaction that some have reported. I like the burn because it feels like it is really cleansing my mouth. Maybe the burning sensation on the tongue is what prevents the tastebuds from detecting the old listerine flavor.

Yeah, it foams because of the peroxide and the foam builds the longer you rinse. Here's a tip--lean forward over the sink as you rinse and it won't feel overwhelming in your mouth and you can spit it out fast if necessary.

I can honestly say that my mouth tastes and feels cleaner and my breath stays fresher a lot longer.

One last thing--I purchased this product from Amazon because they offer free shipping and because many of the stores in my area do not carry the Total Care Plus Whitening, only the regular Total Care. The ones I've found that do sell it only have a smaller size bottle for almost the same price as the large one offered on Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Prefer Regular Total Care, June 11, 2012
A. Boltz (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I tried Listerine Total Care a couple years ago and really didn't like the taste. I'm not sure what prompted me to give it another try, but I did a few months ago and I don't know if they changed their flavor/formula or if my tastes changed, but it tasted just fine to me! Other reviewers seem to think it tastes awful, but that's not my experience.

However, thinking I was buying another bottle of Total Care, I accidentally picked up a bottle of Total Care Zero. Maybe this makes sense for people who have some sort of sensitivity to alcohol, but if you don't, I strongly recommend you get the regular stuff! The first thing I noticed was that you cannot gargle with it -- it bubbles up immediately like Scope. That's a deal-breaker for me -- I want a "mouthwash and gargle." But additionally, I had noticed that some days I'd wake up with a film of dead skin in my mouth which I'd have to wipe away (gross, I know!). I hadn't connected it to this mouthwash until I saw another reviewer mention it. I don't think regular Total Care did that to me. In any case, Total Care Zero might be right for some people if you really can't stand alcohol, but I'm definitely sticking with Listerine Total Care Plus Whitening Mouthwash Fresh Mint, 32-Ounce.

EDIT (4/18/2013): Maybe everyone looking at this product is already aware, but this is just a "fluoride rinse." Branding it as "Total Care" with "6 benefits in 1" led me to believe it was doing more than regular Listerine, but that is not the case! Regular Listerine (such as Cool Mint Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash (2 X 1.5lt)) combats plaque and gingivitis which this one does not. It's only active ingredient is fluoride which is great for preventing cavities, but I use a fluoride toothpaste (aren't almost all?) and pretty much any public water supply is fluoridated, so I'd rather have a mouthwash that does something else useful.

EDIT (2/25/2014): I guess scratch that "just a fluoride rinse" edit I made last year. As a commenter helpfully pointed out, all of the active ingredients of regular Listerine which are listed as antiplaque/antigingivitis are actually also listed on Total Care Zero as inactive ingredients. Does sodium fluoride render them inert? If so, why would they leave them in? The "Use" list definitely does not have preventing or reducing plaque and gingivitis like regular Listerine does -- just "Anticavity." Maybe it's just a marketing thing. Odd, in any case, but perhaps it does do everything. Still, I want to gargle and don't want to wake up with dead skin in my mouth!

1.0 out of 5 stars I had to stop using this product ..., January 30, 2012
g45 (TX United States) - See all my reviews
... because of negative reactions. They were short term, but mfg. advised me to stop using the product and check with a medical professional. Here's what happened:

Background:

I have sensitive teeth with soft enamel. Because of the sensitivity my dentists recommend I use Sensodyne toothpaste, so I have been using a Sensodyne product for almost 30 years, successfully. About 10 years ago, I switched to Pronamel Sensodyne toothpaste to hopefully resist some of the enamel erosion from acidic foods. Last year I read about a Pronamel Daily Mouthwash that offered similar benefits as the toothpaste. But, the Pronamel Mouthwash is not sold in North America. I found it on Amazon.co.uk website, bought it from a pharmacie that processed international sales. I bought enough to use for 2011 and would rate the product 5-stars. Recent currency exchange rates and some problem with international shipping cause the product to be cost prohibitive, so I started looking for a comparable alternative in the USA.

Problems:

I read about this new product called Total Care Zero, which looked to be comparable, so I came to my TRUSTY Amazon.com to get my best pricing. The Amazon Subscription Service for a 2-Pack was a good value. I bought a subscription on 6 January 2012 and the 1st shipment arrived about a week later. My first dose was remarkable. Immediately, my sensitive teeth began to ache and the soft tissue in my mouth began to feel tight and the taste was the nastiest I have ever tasted. Since I rinse for a maximum of 60 seconds I resigned myself that this was going to be a necessary evil in order to get the extra protection and to ignore the discomfort. However, when I spit out the rinse, the inside of my mouth felt full and rough as if I had eaten a green persimmon. I after rinsed with clear water a couple of times to reduce the uncomfortable after effect. I used the product for about 2 weeks hoping I would get used to it, only to have the after effect get more pronounced and last longer. I could put up with the short-term ache from my sensitive teeth and the GOSH AWFUL taste for 60 seconds or LESS, but I was rinsing for less time with the after effect lasting longer and requiring more after rinsing. I finally gave up on the product and looked for ITS replacement in the USA. My sister bought me a bottle of Crest Pro-Health Complete, which is a MORE NEGATIVE story.

ALWAYS TRY TO PURCHASE from Amazon.com FIRST:

I reported my negative reaction to the Total Care Zero product to the voice on the other end of the 800-number provided on the label of the bottle. I learned that my negative side effect of what the voice called "rough gum feeling" is not unique, i.e., it is a KNOWN side effect by this mfg. just as the other more negative side effect is KNOWN by the other mfg. of the Crest Pro-Health Complete. In the case of the Total Care Zero mfg, I was told to discontinue using the product and to check with my medical professional just as a precaution. My reaction to the Total Care Zero product was very short term and fairly easy to reverse, heavy after rinsing, so I think the advice to see a medical profession was strictly "cya" speak. What ticked me off was the mfg's attitude about my out-of-pocket expense, even though it was small. I bought a 2-Pack in good faith! I only opened one bottle and learned I reacted negatively to the product. The mfg representive commanded me to discontinue using the product. Yet, the mfg will ONLY reimburse me for the cost of Mfg. Suggested Retail Cost Maximun for ONE bottle. When I reported this policy to Amazon.com via email, I got a response in less than 30 minutes with an apology for the negative reaction from product offered by someone else AND a promise of an immediate FULL REFUND of my costs. THAT'S THE WAY BUSINESS SHOULD BE RUN! If I do receive a refund check from Johnson and Johnson in a few WEEKS, as promised, I SHALL return the check to them. Maybe they cannot spare the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For Cinnamon Lovers, March 26, 2012
If you're searching for cinnamon, this is not the place. The taste is not disagreeable but, contrary to other reviews, there's more "mint" than "cinna". Especially if you're a cinnamon lover, either Closeup or Lavoris will make you much happier, the latter having a better aftertaste.