Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

Flavor: Fresh Mint|Size: 32 fl. oz.|Change

on March 10, 2014
I want you guys to know that I’ve tried a bunch of different whitening products and have come to the realization that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for getting your teeth white. This Listerine product is strong, stronger than anything else they make (It has over 21% alcohol content and hydrogen peroxide!) These agents are what causes people to hate this product (you’ll see a lot of 1 stars on this product) but also the reason why it will make your mouth free of germs and whitened! You must know that going in, you’re not going to get white teeth without these types of ingredients. That said, this product won’t whiten your teeth like a professional teeth whitening kit.

I’ve been using This Whitening Kit in combination with Listerine to really get my lustrous shine you’ll see all the news agents flash when they smile at the camera. The reason why a whitening kit like the one I linked work better is simply because the amount of time it’s in your mouth. Listerine is in your mouth for a max 30 seconds to 1 minute (if you’re brave). You’re not going to see major whitening results form this unless you use it daily for 6 months. If you need a fast turn-around time on getting whiter teeth then you need to use Listerine AND a whitening solution. I chose the gel solution as opposed to the strips because they come with heat-molded trays that fit your mouth.

Overall this is a good product, if not a bit controversial like some of the other reviewers have mentioned. It comes with a powerful punch, and not many people can handle it. If you’re looking to maximize your teeth-whitening potential I’d try to is conjunction with the gel product, OR if you’re a little weary about it, you should try a lower-strength Listerine along-side a true teeth whitening product. This Listerine is great, but not for the weak or weak-minded.
44 comments|834 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2012
I, *rarely* ever do this, but I am going to have to agree with the majority of the commenters here. You are either going to love it or you are going to hate it. There's no in between, literally. One particular review caught my attention, the individual who spoke about the "super tasters," as he or she is actually right on the ball. I am a molecular biologist and what the individual said is quite accurate. Some people do have a genetic predisposition to have more sensitive bitter taste buds and as a consequence, more likely to get "burned" by this mouth wash.

As far as the mouth wash is concerned, it is quite true that it is extremely potent. If you have tried the original Total Care, you should know that this one will be a step above that because it contains hydrogen peroxide and other antiseptics the original doesn't. It also contains 21.6% alcohol (a relatively high percentage). In addition many of you won't be crazy about the large amount of foam resulting from the hydrogen peroxide. Another commenter said he/she felt his/her taste buds knocked out after the use of this product. I also find this to be accurate. Don't expect to be able to taste anything for a good 30 minutes after using it.

Now to the good things. As the biologist that I am, I can ascert you that while uncomfortable, it is very beneficial to your overall smile. Hydrogen peroxide is a very safe and powerful antiseptic and bleaching agent. It also has a very active anticavity fluoride ion concentration that will strengthen your teeth and kill bacteria that cause cavities, while forming a shield to prevent further enamel break down. It also contains anti-plaque and tartar control ingredients such as eucalyptol, methyl salicyclate, thymol and menthol. This is without exaggeration absolute and complete Total Care. If your taste buds allow you, stick through it and you will see a dramatic improvement in your smile.
22 comments|180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
I affectionately refer to this product as Battery Acid. Yes, it burns. It burns worse than anything else. It took me a month of continuous use to stop getting all watery-eyed after 60 seconds (not only does it burn more, but you have to use it for twice as long as regular Listerine).

But boy let me tell you, this stuff works. The whitening works really well, I'd say just as good as the Crest whitestrips or better (having tried those a couple years ago). And my teeth have never felt cleaner. If you're uninsured and don't go to the dentist very often, this is your new insurance. It does a serious job. Man up and get used to the burn. It's worth it.
33 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 8, 2015
I thought I was going insane...until I realized it was Listerine who is not taking my health seriously. Horrific company.

I decided to use this product because I hate the horrific feeling of my mouth burning from the alcohol-based version of this product. Not to mention, there may be a slight risk of increased oral cancer (after a long period of use) from any alcohol based rinses due to the intrinsic inflammation such rinses cause inside the mouth.

And so, every morning and night, exactly as per the label's instructions Of Listerine Zero, I would rinse my mouth with this product.

I noticed that after I'd wake up every morning, the inside of my mouth (mainly the gums and cheeks) would slough off (shed) massive amounts of dead tissue. It was disgusting to say the least and highly alarming as well. Others online have called this shedding "white slime", but having a medical background I know it's dead and decaying mucous membranes (the lining of the inside of your mouth). On top of that, I experience redness, significant pain, and ulceration inside the mouth.

At first, I wasn't sure this was due to the Listerine. I thought I may be having a reaction to another product. Maybe it was the new toothpaste. Maybe it was some sort of food. After carefully whittling away the other possibilities, I was 100% sure it was due to the Listerine Zero.

To make sure I wasn't the only one and that this wasn't some isolated incident, I did an online search and notice MASSIVE amounts of people reporting the same problem, including on Listerine's own website!

Listerine KNOWS this is NOT an uncommon reaction to their product despite saying on their website when someone complains: "This is not a reaction we'd expect while using this product" on their own website, however their OWN WEBSITE has a ton of the same complaints as do other websites online. You can google "listerine zero" and see similar reviews on their website.

Since Listerine, being such a "caring company", didn't mention the possibility or warning of this horrific reaction anywhere on their product as a good company would, nor why it was occurring to me, I decided to research it for myself.

The answer for most people? Most likely it is a reaction to an ingredient called sodium lauryl sulfate. What is it? A DETERGENT used in cleaning products known to science and medicine to cause taste alteration, irritation, and ulceration in people. You know what else? SLS has been shown to actually DECREASE the effectiveness of fluoride at preventing tooth decay. The same fluoride found in your toothpaste and in Listerine's product.

Yep, good old Listerine put in a known, irritating, detergent inside of its product that causes the tissues inside of your mouth to die. And it put in the same ingredient to counteract the effects of its fluoride ingredient. Commece slow, sarcastic, clap in Listerine's direction and probably a class action lawsuit in the future.
on May 9, 2011
Whaaaaaa, it tastes bad. Ok, so does that mean it doesn't work? I don't think that's the point.

Rinsing with chocolate milk syrup wouldn't be advisable. Just sayin'.

Sorry, I don't rush to write a review for anything, but this kinda deserves a better. After using it for 2 weeks, my son and I had whiter teeth, fresher breath and I notice a nice 'slick' feeling every time I use it.

But, in the interest of fairness to people who complain about the strength of the product, I don't use it as a straight mouth wash. My son is autistic an oral health is a challenge, to say the least. After a really depressing dental visit (the last of several) I decided to change things up.

Dental pics out. Waterpick in.

Child Toothpaste out. Colgate Complete in.

Sweet toothbrush w/charterers out. Sonicare in.

At 11, my son had 4 cavities and needed a full mouth scaling. Yay, mom of the year! He drinks no soda and is not fond of sweets.

The most troubling aspect of our new regimen was that he couldn't 'rinse and spit' and ingesting fluoride is not a good idea. On a whim I tried Purple Listerine and he rinsed ok, but I couldn't tell if he was really rinsing.

The foaming bubbles show me he's getting everything out he should and he actually enjoys the clean mouth.

Our last visit was an in and out with virtually no work needed.

Complain all you want, but I have to say this is among the best oral care products we have tried.
1111 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2014
I really wanted to like this stuff, and gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because of it's all-in-one nature. But....

1. It left my mouth numb feeling, all day and with a lasting after taste.

2. I kept finding stringy bits of dead skin when I brush my teeth at night. Nasty. Here is what I found out about this effect:
[...]

3. It has phosphoric acid in it. That stuff damages teeth enamel. Now according to my research, this is intentional, to "etch" the tooth for the fluoride to adhere to better. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but I think I'll stick with good old ACT fluoride and not take the risk.

I've decided to stick with mouthwashes that bear the ADA Accepted seal from now on (Plain ol' Listerine and ACT Fluoride). According to this source:
[...]

Listerine "sandwiched" in between brushing teeth and fluoride rinse can help mitigate the drying effects of the alcohol. I'm going to try that, since the Listerine use has greatly decreased my gingivitis (for once the hygienist didn't say I had tons of plaque and said I looked pretty good).

You can go to the ADA's website to see what products are ADA Accepted:

Hope this helps!
on March 19, 2015
Edit: Listerine currently links reviews for multiple products--some that contain alcohol and others that do not. This review is for the Total Care Stain Remover, Fresh Mint, 32 ounce that includes alcohol in the ingredients.There may or may not be this information included above the review with a link to the product page. This just depends on where and how you are reading this review.

As others have said, and to agree with them, this product is strong (21.6% alcohol), but if you can handle the strength, it works well. Something worth noting other than the strength of the product that creates a burning sensation is that after swishing (the product suggests for a minute that you will probably have to work up to due to the strength), the mouthwash turns into a white foamy substance in your mouth. It isn’t as pleasant as other mouthwashes as it’s more difficult to expel but just spit it all out (I rake my top teeth over my tongue to help get most of it out). With that said, after using the product, my mouth feels amazing and fresh up until I eat or drink coffee. :]

To address a common complaint, there are those who claim this mouthwash has killed the top layer of skin in their mouths or other odd issues; I’ve never had any of these issues, but I also love spicy foods (e.g., hot sauces). It's possible that people who find ketchup or mild salsas as spicy have sensitive mouths that get harmed using such a strong product…or it could be something else as this is just an observation.

Never the less, after I quit smoking, I started using this mouthwash to help aid in getting rid of some of the stains that had built up over the last 15 years or so. I’ve been using it for around a year now with a whitening toothpaste (Crest 3D White) and daily flossing (Oral-B Glide). Since using this product I’ve noticed my teeth are a few shades whiter. Friends and family have also agreed that my teeth are not as stained as they used to be. So I would highly recommend this product if you have no issues with other strong products such as hot sauces, alcohol, or even regular mouth wash. If you think or know you have a sensitive mouth, I believe there is an alcohol-free version of this mouthwash that might even share the same comments (I noticed some people thought these posts were supposed to be for the alcohol-free one, but the picture for the product I have bought and am reviewing clearly shows the ingredient label that lists alcohol).
*I will update this if anything changes, but after around a year I’m still buying this same mouthwash.
on July 3, 2012
I even like regular Listerine better than this one. My whole mouth goes very numb. Not regular alcohol numb. Like a coating of numbness in my mouth. Not a good feeling. I can't gargle it cause it immediately bubbles up. I hope I can get through the whole bottle. I hate to waste money.
on May 19, 2013
After 1 week of use it gave me swollen and bleeding gums, no taste buds, and my cheek walls to the roof of my mouth feel blistered or swollen. A week before when I was not using this mouthwash I had a perfectly healthy mouth. I am currently in recovery and wish we never used this garbage.

Apparently, there a number of other reports of issues with this mouthwash. Take them as you will:
on January 30, 2012
... because of negative reactions. They were short term, but mfg. advised me to stop using the product and check with a medical professional. Here's what happened:

Background:

I have sensitive teeth with soft enamel. Because of the sensitivity my dentists recommend I use Sensodyne toothpaste, so I have been using a Sensodyne product for almost 30 years, successfully. About 10 years ago, I switched to Pronamel Sensodyne toothpaste to hopefully resist some of the enamel erosion from acidic foods. Last year I read about a Pronamel Daily Mouthwash that offered similar benefits as the toothpaste. But, the Pronamel Mouthwash is not sold in North America. I found it on Amazon.co.uk website, bought it from a pharmacie that processed international sales. I bought enough to use for 2011 and would rate the product 5-stars. Recent currency exchange rates and some problem with international shipping cause the product to be cost prohibitive, so I started looking for a comparable alternative in the USA.

Problems:

I read about this new product called Total Care Zero, which looked to be comparable, so I came to my TRUSTY Amazon.com to get my best pricing. The Amazon Subscription Service for a 2-Pack was a good value. I bought a subscription on 6 January 2012 and the 1st shipment arrived about a week later. My first dose was remarkable. Immediately, my sensitive teeth began to ache and the soft tissue in my mouth began to feel tight and the taste was the nastiest I have ever tasted. Since I rinse for a maximum of 60 seconds I resigned myself that this was going to be a necessary evil in order to get the extra protection and to ignore the discomfort. However, when I spit out the rinse, the inside of my mouth felt full and rough as if I had eaten a green persimmon. I after rinsed with clear water a couple of times to reduce the uncomfortable after effect. I used the product for about 2 weeks hoping I would get used to it, only to have the after effect get more pronounced and last longer. I could put up with the short-term ache from my sensitive teeth and the GOSH AWFUL taste for 60 seconds or LESS, but I was rinsing for less time with the after effect lasting longer and requiring more after rinsing. I finally gave up on the product and looked for ITS replacement in the USA. My sister bought me a bottle of Crest Pro-Health Complete, which is a MORE NEGATIVE story.

ALWAYS TRY TO PURCHASE from Amazon.com FIRST:

I reported my negative reaction to the Total Care Zero product to the voice on the other end of the 800-number provided on the label of the bottle. I learned that my negative side effect of what the voice called "rough gum feeling" is not unique, i.e., it is a KNOWN side effect by this mfg. just as the other more negative side effect is KNOWN by the other mfg. of the Crest Pro-Health Complete. In the case of the Total Care Zero mfg, I was told to discontinue using the product and to check with my medical professional just as a precaution. My reaction to the Total Care Zero product was very short term and fairly easy to reverse, heavy after rinsing, so I think the advice to see a medical profession was strictly "cya" speak. What ticked me off was the mfg's attitude about my out-of-pocket expense, even though it was small. I bought a 2-Pack in good faith! I only opened one bottle and learned I reacted negatively to the product. The mfg representive commanded me to discontinue using the product. Yet, the mfg will ONLY reimburse me for the cost of Mfg. Suggested Retail Cost Maximun for ONE bottle. When I reported this policy to Amazon.com via email, I got a response in less than 30 minutes with an apology for the negative reaction from product offered by someone else AND a promise of an immediate FULL REFUND of my costs. THAT'S THE WAY BUSINESS SHOULD BE RUN! If I do receive a refund check from Johnson and Johnson in a few WEEKS, as promised, I SHALL return the check to them. Maybe they cannot spare the money.