on May 9, 2010
Installation was very easy, took less than 5 minutes to install in the computer. The software, Nero8, also installed quickly. I have not had a single failed DVD or CD burn yet with this drive; this is very impressive to me (I am using Verbatim media). The drive is quieter than most I have used.

If you want to use the LightScribe feature (and it does work very well), it will be necessary to download drivers from the LightScribe web site [...] in order for Nero 8 to recognize this feature.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 23, 2010
This is a great burner. Easy to install, easy to use, good included software (including Nero Express 9), all for a good price.

The only caveat is you can't put two in the same Windows computer. Windows can't recognize more than one of these. LiteOn is aware of the problem but does not have a fix as of this writing. Tech Support says they are working on a firmware upgrade but they don't know when it will be available.

UPDATE 8/16/2011: The answer I got from LiteOn is, "It is Microsoft's fault." If you buy two (or more) at the same time, as I did, you probably get devices with sequential serial numbers. Windows reads device s/n's from left to right. If there are more digits than Windows can read, as these apparently have (they didn't say how many it was), XP (and maybe others) truncates the s/n so it looks to Windows like they both have the same s/n. The OS then disables the first one. The support guy I talked to said there was no fix. I think this is pretty lame, since this is a known OS quirk. LiteOn should have a work-around for this. I have deducted one star.

UPDATE 10/01/2011: After a third call to LiteOn support and getting the same response, I asked to speak to a supervisor. After a brief discussion, we went thru a series of steps and obtained the serial no. and firmware version of the operational drive thru Windows. We discovered my drive had very old firmware. He directed me to LiteOn's Web site Download/Utilities page. From there I downloaded their "SmartPack - Firmware Auto Upgade Program for Optical Storage Products" program. I installed the program and updated the firmware to both drives, and now both work on my system.

I am still giving the product 3 stars because of the poor tech support. I spoke to three different techs on three different occasions and got the same line from all three. All should have known how to get the serial no. of the drive without pulling it and how to obtain the firmware version. At the very least all should have directed me to the Web site for the above mentioned software. (According to the supervisor, it was available when I made the first call in November, 2010.) Had any of them done their job I would have resolved this problem last November.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2010
This is the first LightScribe burner that I've owned (I've used about a dozen other non LightScribe burners in the past). I've used this new Lite-On LightScribe unit for reading CDs and DVDs (both +R and -R) without any issues. I've also burned both CDs (-R) and DVDs (-R and +R) with it without any issues. My system is a top end DELL XPS 9000, Win7 64bit Pro, and I didn't have any issues getting the burner to work in it. I bought HP branded "LightScribe" DVD media, and I was looking forward to burning some nice labels onto the top of my DVDs. My first attempts didn't turn out too well, the image and writing that I'd selected was too light, too hard to see once it was completed. I don't think this is an issue with the burner, or with the media, but with me and my lack of practice with selecting a good image that will burn dark enough to be easily seen. I know now (trial and error has taught me) to make sure the labels that I make need to have strong contrasting text and/or pictures, so that when burned onto the tops, they will be easily seen.

I'm giving this burner a 4 out of 5, because I wanted the LightScribe option to be more user friendly (maybe it's a software issue, maybe the laser is not strong enough, or maybe it's just me, but better software and/or a better laser would have protected me from myself, and then I would have given it a 5.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2010
I have been using this drive for about six months now and I have to say that I am extremely pleased so far. I have used it to burn CD's and DVD's and even though I sometimes use what some may call "cheap media" I have had no problems at all. I have used the Lightscribe function on 6 or 7 discs for my nephew and niece and they really enjoy that, "these look way cooler then just a plain DVD" according to them. I wish that the 20 minute process there was a little faster, but hey, for $25 it still works great! I have actually recommended this item to friends and family members and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced DVD drive and burner :^)
on August 2, 2010
I replaced an existing IDE LITE-ON DVD drive with this one. It worked very well. It has more features and functions better than a 2-yr-old SATA SAMSUNG DVD drive in my computer. It came well packed and fully equiped with manual, mounting screws, a SATA signal cable, and NERO software; whereas the SAMSUNG purchased from CDW was an OEM item, did not come with even mounting screws, no cable, no manual, no software! The LITE-ON customer support was great. Initially my computer could not recognize it, when I kept the old IDE drive as a slave drive. I sent email to LITEON support, and they answered my email next day, and gave some suggestions. But I found out just removing the old IDE drive and IDE cable from the mother board solved the problem. Now this LITE-ON drive is SATA master, the SAMSUNG drive is SATA slave; they worked well. This is the latest model, manufactured in March 2010.
on October 23, 2011
yes it's the iHAS424-B from (Amazon) Featured Merchants
And IXTREME BURNER MAX firmware work's

C4E presents yet another world first to the Xbox scene
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2011
The DVD burner seems to be fine. The hardware installation was straightforward. It turns out that Nero 9 essentials has caused me the troubles.

Included in the Essentials package are a number of applications. It turns out that Nero 9 Showtime (the DVD player) is incompatible with iTunes 9+ (Quicktime, to be specific), and so it crashes when I open it. What's worse, it overwrote some codecs, and this caused my Windows Media Player and CyberLink DVD player to break, as well. This same action also screwed up my sound drivers, causing my computer to lose sound capabilities. It has been a slow process to recover the files that Nero 9 overwrote.

I am using Windows XP, so maybe it is better on later versions of Windows. But, my recommendation would be to not install the software included. Apparently Nero 9 is a of lesser quality than Nero 8 (which this used to come with).
on August 18, 2010
My last CDRW Burner lasted over six years before it died out. As such, when I saw that Lite-On apparently still manufactures CDRWs yet alone DVD burners, this purchase was a no brainer. The name itself spells quality at a bargain price. Turns to find out that when my burning software identified the drive manufacturer, turns out that it was a blessing in disguise. Lite-On may have been the brand name, but the software identified the manufacturer as Phillips. No need to explain who they are. If you have been building computers as long as I have, you know that Phillips is the original developer of the CD. Talk about getting quality. I have never liked the included software, Nero 9 that comes with the bundle since I have had serious install issues. For my purposes of just creating DVDs from camcorders, digital cameras etc. I found that two freebies, DVD Flick and Imgburn are two of the best I have come across in my long search. These are basically small programs which get the job done with little or no overhead from bloated software. Otherwise, exceptional quality in a DVD burner. I am tempted to order two more units to replace my aging and outdated CDRW's.
on February 12, 2011
This is a bargain LightScribe drive. The media--the CDs and DVDs are not inexpensive, but you can shop for sales.
Remember, this is a SATA drive, so your computer needs to be a SATA-equipped computer. How do you know? Look at the manual, the sales literature, look online, check the front or rear of the computer to see if there is a rectangular female jack that says "eSata." This is for an external (or "e") SATA drive and assures you that you have a SATA drive.
SATA drives are several multiples faster than other connections, such as USB and are "hot-swappable," in the eSATA configuration.
If you're replacing an old SATA DVD drive, then you know you have the right replacement and you won't have any problems with connections. Simply remove the old one and replace it with the new one, noting where the connections go. Remember that the connections only go ONE WAY and are "keyed."
If you're adding a DVD, you need to open the case to see if you have an extra data port. Chances are, you don't, because manufacturers are not prone to build things with unused ports, but you can get around it--maybe.
Unplug the computer and the various connections and tape them together so you don't lose any.
Most cases have a sliding side on one side and a "sealed" side.
The sliding side usually has a hand-hold to tip you off that this is the one. Even if it doesn't, it is the side with the screws--two, three or four hex-screws. Remove them and keep them aside.
Pull on the hand hold and slide the side in the direction of the hand-hold. Voila!
Sudden Light: Donegal's Novel
Use this opportunity to vacuum out the computer, but don't touch any of the electronic parts as you don't want to dislodge them.
You'll see the power supply--a square or rectangular box--the power cord plugs into the outside of it. There will be many wires coming from it. Some end with a white, 4-prong connector and some with a few black edge connectors. The black edge connector is for the SATA power. Look where these go--likely your hard drive, CD and DVD. Is there an unused connection? Good. You'll use that to power the new DVD. No spare one? Are there spare, white 4-prong power connections coming form the power supply? Radio Shack sells a connection that leads from the white connection (a "Molex" connection) to a a SATA power connector. It is part # 278-030 and around $3. Once you get one, you have power to the new drive.
Is there a spare SATA data port? This is more of a problem. Each data port can only manage one device, so there isn't a splitter. You would have to add SATA ports, which is the subject of another story.
If you don't have a spare, you may, after all. Look to see if you have an eSATA port, usually on the front of the computer. The SATA data cables are usually red, and look like a thick telephone cord and are flat, with black rectangular connections.
This DVD drive comes with a spare data cable, so you can see what one looks like.
Unplug the cable leading from the eSATA jack to the port, at the port. Most connectors have a little metal lock on them. Press that as you are wiggling it out.
Plug in the new data cable into the port and insert the other end into the DVD by feeding the data cable through the square hole where the DVD will be put. Connect the power cord (which is next to the data connection, but bigger), again, while the DVD drive is outside the computer, feeding the power cord through the square hole.
Side in the new DVD, align the screw holes on the side. The DVD comes with 4 screws, but you only need 2 or 3 to have a good installation.
Button the case back up, replug your connections and power plug and turn it on.
The DVD will light up with a green light from time to time as the computer is powering up.
The drive comes with a CD with Nero software. You can use it if you like, but I prefer LightScribe Toolbox, available online rather inexpensively. The toolbox will "find" the DVD and you're good to go. There is no need to add drivers. I'm using Windows 7.
Like ALL LightScribe, this one is painfully slow burning the design--at least, in the "best" mode. Faster, you have a light image.
Just plan on it and do something else while it is "cooking."
This DVD is quiet and does a nice job for a good price. The instruction manual is, well, brief, hence this long-winded review.
on July 13, 2010
This replaced a trusty Plextor PX-708A which survived at least three computer builds and burned and ripped hundreds of discs over the years. I wanted another Plextor but didn't realize how low prices have dropped for good quality optical drives. For 25 bucks, consistently good reviews inside and outside of Amazon, I gave this one a try. It's far too early to pass judgment about reliability but it is fast, quiet and seems to be very capable. I didn't load the supplied software as I have what I need and prefer. This one's a no-brainer - just buy it.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations