Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on January 29, 2008
Because I suffer from S.A.D., I've looked at light-therapy lights every year. However, I've always been hesitant to spend so much for something that I was skeptical about. I opted to use a prescription medication to help with my symptoms. They never seemed to really help though. Using a gift certificate I received for Christmas, I purchased a Litebook Elite Hand-Held Light Therapy Device just a week ago. It has been nothing short of a miracle for me. I used to stay up all night with insomnia finally going to bed, totally exhausted around 5-6 AM. I would sleep until the afternoon only to arise still exhausted and achy all over. It would take me an hour just to gather myself for the day. I started using this light the day it arrived. I use it for 30 minutes right after waking. In just a short week, my sleep schedule has totally changed. I am now able to go to bed at 10 PM, fall asleep quickly, restfully sleep through the night, and awaken at 6 AM totally refreshed. I sincerely hope that if you purchase this light you will have the same results I did. I feel like I have a new life!
22 comments69 of 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2009
I would recommend the Litebook if portability or space are key considerations for you. This device is compact and very portable. It comes in a nice carrying case with power adapters for other countries. I was able to take it to work and use it at my desk, and only the people sitting next to me noticed it. So, I would recommend it for use during travel or at the office.

However, the small size that makes it so portable is also Litebook's biggest negative. The area of light projected was small enough that I felt like I had to sit in one position the whole time I was using it just to keep my eyes within the appropriate range. I have now purchased a larger device, and while it takes up a lot more space, it allows me more freedom of movement. If you are just using your device at home I would suggest a larger one.

I also felt the battery on the Litebook depleted very quickly. If you purchase this product, I would recommend using it with the power cord whenever possible, and only using the battery when you really need to.
11 comment65 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2008
I purchased the Litebook Elite Hand-Held Light Therapy Device and Love it.
It is light weight, portable, and small in size. You can take it with you anywhere. Although it is small, it delivers as much light as one of the large desk size units. It evens comes with a nice carrying case and adapters for recharging the battery. I work in a sleep disorders center and have started recommending this product to patients.
11 comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2008
I had this problem for the past couple of years where I would not be able to sleep between the hours of 10pm and 3am. So I would end up falling asleep usually between 3-4am. Since I would have to get up at 730am for work I would end up getting 4 hours or less of sleep a night. This would result in me getting home from work around 5pm dog tired. I wouldn't feel like working out or doing much else. Often I would fall asleep around 6pm for a couple of hours. On the weekends I would fall asleep around 4am and sleep until 2 in the afternoon. I hated the whole pattern. If you're too tired to do anything it messes up your whole life. I tried the melatonin pills but those didn't work to well for me. I had these spacey dreams and this spacey feeling just before I fell asleep but that was it.

It is amazing how well the litebook worked for my sleeping problems. I got it in April and I use it for about a half hour in the morning while eating my breakfast and reading the news on my computer. The first thing you notice is that it gives you a kind of pick me up in the morning. I use it every day during the week, and sometimes on the weekends if I get up early enough, since you are supposed to use it at about the same time each day. It took a couple of weeks for it to start helping my sleep. I began getting sleepy around 11pm instead of around 300am. It's been almost four months and I really notice a change. I don't slack off at work as much anymore. I'm in better shape since I exercise more -- I don't blow it off because I'm too tired.

I will say that in addition to the litebook I also did a couple of other things to help with my sleep. 1. I cut out all caffeine. No coffee or soft drinks or anything that has it. 2. Really limited my drinking of alcohol. I noticed that if I had more than two drinks in a day it would disturb my sleep. Three or four drinks would lead to noticeably less restful sleep. More than that, and if not hungover, I would feel a little rundown and beat.

In the end I will have to say I am totally happy with this product. It helped me take care of a major problem in my life. It's amazing how having screwed up sleeping patterns drags the rest of your life down. Now I pretty much consider myself cured.
22 comments24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2009
I did a fair amount of research before I bought this product for my winter blues. The deciding factor for me is it is the only commercially-available light I could find that has been used in scientific studies proving its efficacy.

I think it definitely works for me and it is so small and portable and comes with all the international adapters in a convenient carry bag.

I even took it home with me for the holidays and had my parents use it according to the directions for seniors to help with sleep trouble. My father felt that it made a significant difference in just a little over a week since he went from waking up 8 times a night to just 2.
on March 17, 2008
SAD is the absolute worst. I bought the litebook for the few weeks before I'd be able to get medication for the depression, but the light therapy gave me such fantastic results that it's all I need. I use it for 30 minutes when I first wake up, and I'm more energetic, healthier, and happier.
on January 11, 2008
I was a bit skeptical on whether this would work, but a do believe a little lite has made a significant diference! I would buy this product again. It easy to use and portable and has help alieviate some of my symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder! Wooo Hooo!
on October 24, 2008
I've had mine for about a month now and it is exactly what I needed. It is compact, easy to travel with, has every conceivable socket adaptor, and best of all the early morning light really helps as the days get shorter.
on February 19, 2008
S.A.D. You know it, you feel it, you hate it every year. Well this year was different when we got this bad boy in December. Use it 30minutes in the morning and am extremely satisfied.
on January 15, 2008
This portable, packable lamp is terrific. It is the only SAD lamp you'll need. Improve your winter mood with a few hours a day.