5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for the intelligent visitor to Paris!
Published on July 10, 1999 by Don Graeter

1.0 out of 5 stars re-"print" of 1989 print version
Do not get me wrong. I give this 1 star ONLY for the fact that, if you do not order a sample of this e-book, you won't find out anywhere that this is a reprint of a 23 year old book.
That being said, I love this little gem. I have it in print version. I just dislike wrong appearances and dishonest advertising.
Published on September 28, 2012 by Raven

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for the intelligent visitor to Paris!, July 10, 1999
This review is from: Literary Cafes of Paris (Paperback)
I stumbled across this little gem a few days before my wife finally dragged me to Paris in 1991. Lucky for me! Thanks to this work, we have come to love Paris, especially the Left Bank. Away from the tourist throngs, the reader can people watch and sip for literally hours reflecting upon Hemingway at the Brasserie Lipp, Picasso at the Cafe de Flore, Shirer at the Brasserie Balzar and so much more. It is truly amazing to me that these places still function just as they did 75 years ago and more. I considered myself a well educated and well traveled person, but this small volume has opened up a world that I knew about but never fully appreciated before and has made Paris one of my favorite vacation spots. To heck with the Louvre, this is what Paris is all about!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Companion for Your Paris Guide Book, December 10, 1999
dschwabe "David" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Literary Cafes of Paris (Paperback)
This wonderful little book makes a good companion for whichever Paris guidebook you plan to carry. It not only lists many interesting Cafes to visit, but also gives interesting background information on the famous writers and other celebrities who once hung out in them. It gives you an excuse to visit parts of Paris you might not otherwise visit. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a pocket guide to be read at a cafe table, May 12, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Literary Cafes of Paris (Paperback)
Put this small guide in your pocket, order an expresso and croissant at the Deux Magots or Select, then read about what writers drank and wrote and met what friends at this same table. You will find a brief history, names of writers, and any dramatic events that occurred in these famous literary cafes--all of which still exist. Though the cafe where Hemingway and Fitgerald has changed its name several times, the wood and brass bar where the two men bellied up is still there just around the corner from the Dome. Bon appetit!

5.0 out of 5 stars "It is easier to change one's religion than one's café"..., October 30, 2013
This review is from: Literary Cafes of Paris (Paperback)
Quirky, delightful, and most informative, Nöel Fitch published, in 1989, this short, but essential work, for any (literate) visitor (or resident) to the City of Light. And it certainly is not out of date. Fitch identifies 29 Parisian cafes and restaurants that were frequently by a wide assortment of patrons from the world of the arts and literature. He divides the venues into the following areas: St. Germain-des-Près, Montparnasse, the Latin Quarter, and the Right Bank. In terms of her priorities, as she says in the forward: "My brother-in-law writes from Idaho to ask if I do anything but eat. I walk between meals or sit in cafes waiting for mealtime." Bravo. Je vous ai compris.

As an American, she tends to be a bit "heavy" on Hemingway, and thus it is no surprise to find the Closerie des Lilas featured. But in addition to "reviews" in A Moveable Feast: The Restored Edition, Fitch indicates that solace, and much more, were sought there by Baudelaire, Verlaine, James Joyce, John Dos Passos, Ford Maddox Ford and Ezra Pound, to name only a few. Regrettably, I've never had coffee, or any other sustenance there, but I have frequented the Café de Flore on several occasions, including a visit whereby I made one of those life-changing decisions, involving extending a work contract by "one more year." During my visits I was clearly chasing the "ghosts" of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre, who had done so much of their work in the warmth the café provided. And so I was surprised to learn that it was originally the home of the political right, including Charles Maurras, of "L'Action Française."

Another favorite is the Café de la Mairie, on the Place St. Sulpice. I first became truly aware of its literary significance through Djuna Barnes Nightwood (New Edition), but like numerous others, Fitch relates that Henry Miller, of Tropic of Cancer, as well as Samual Beckett, Saul Bellow, and even that Simone de Beauvoir saw Camus here for the last time, as he quarreled with Sartre, in 1951. Nearby were the haunts of both Richard Wright and William Faulkner.

Fitch features one cabaret, "Le Lapin Agile," purportedly the birth place of Cubism, and a favorite of Picasso, Modigliani, and Apollinaire. She also has provides a section on basic café vocabulary, and a short bibliography, containing both English and French works. Finally, the book fits easily into the back pocket, and is sure to enhance the "nostalgia" aspect of your next visit to Paris. 5-stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful adventure into literary land, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Literary Cafes of Paris (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this little book. I'm not able to get to Paris, but reading this made me feel like I had taken the trip. It is filled with information and history about the cafes the great authors regularly visited. Also gives directions if you happen to make the trip. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary Cafes of Paris, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Literary Cafes of Paris (Paperback)
I read this after visiting Paris for 2 weeks and staying in the St. Germain area. This small book was packed full of stories, history and information about the cafes in that area. My biggest regret is not reading this book before visiting Paris. It would have added a new dimension to the St. Germain area. If you are going to Paris, read this book and then walk the streets of this section of Paris to fully appreciate the area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitch Delivers, November 27, 2013
I got this on my Kindle, because I didn't want to wait around or hunt around for a paper copy. It's a great way to prepare for….or re-live a tour of Paris literary cafes. Fitch has a lively, informative style, and she knows everything about these places. I love browsing through this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift for Paris lovers, July 16, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Literary Cafes of Paris (Paperback)
This is the first book to take to France with you (or to give to a friend who is going). The history is brief, but it goes back two centuries.

1.0 out of 5 stars re-"print" of 1989 print version, September 28, 2012

Literary Cafes of Paris
Literary Cafes of Paris by Noel Riley Fitch (Paperback - Mar. 1989)
Used & New from: $0.01