5.0 out of 5 stars SIX LITERARY FILM CLASSICS COME TO DVD!
Published on December 15, 2006 by Forrest C. Hopson

3.0 out of 5 stars Where have all the Spanish subtitles gone?
I'm a Spanish movie lover since I was a child and I bought hundreds of DVD's, many of them, and very proudly, from Amazon. I can't understand why the spanish subtitles they used to include (Warner, Universal)even in recent releases (Gary Cooper or Marlon Brando Signature Collection)are missing o "replaced" by respectable but less spoken languages. I was very dissapointed...
Published on March 3, 2007 by Michelangelo

5.0 out of 5 stars SIX LITERARY FILM CLASSICS COME TO DVD!, December 15, 2006
This review is from: Literary Classics Collection (Madame Bovary (1949), Captain Horatio Hornblower, The Three Musketeers (1948), The Prisoner of Zenda (1937 and 1952 Versions), Billy Budd) (DVD)
"The Three Musketeers" (1948) has got to be the best screen adaptation of the beloved Dumas literary classic. I had all but given up hope to have this on dvd! Gene Kelly is brilliant in the lead roll as D'Artagnan, and petite June Allyson (Little Women (1949) his love interest, Constance. Their comic performance in this classic is one not to be missed! The beautiful Lana Turner and the devious Vincent Price give a touch of elegant charm as the villains. Filmed in gorgeous Technicolor, this MGM jewel is one for the collection!

Also included is the Gregory Peck seafaring tale, "Captain Horatio Hornblower," in which Peck gives a fine performance. In 1807, unflappable Capt. Hornblower (Peck) of the British Navy is sent on a secret mission to divert Napoleon's Spanish allies by sponsoring a megalomaniac's Central American revolution. After a hard voyage, unexpected complications force Hornblower to revise his plans...and play reluctant host to the beautiful sister (Virginia Mayo) of the Duke of Wellington. Sea-battles, remarkable adventures, and a star-crossed romantic interlude follow.

A stellar cast give fine performances in another literary classic brought to film in the 1949 "Madame Bovary." French author Gustave Flaubert (James Mason) is on trial for writing the "indecent" novel "Madame Bovary." To prove that he wrote a moral tale, Flaubert narrates the story of beautiful Emma Bovary, (beautiful Jennifer Jones (Duel in the Sun (1946) an adulteress who destroyed the lives of everyone she came in contact with. The film also stars French actor, Louis Jourdan (GiGi (1958) and Van Heflin (Possessed (1947)

Two versions of the literary classic, "The Prisoner of Zenda" are also included. David O. Selznicks's 1937 version is a classic swashbuckler. Maj.Rudolph Rassendyll, (Ronald Colman) which is Rudolf V's identical distant cousin, is asked to risk his life and impersonate the would-be king. While doing so, his relative is kidnapped before his impending coronation. If Rudolf V isn't present at the ceremony, he will forfeit the crown to his younger brother. Complications ensue when Princess Flavia (lovely Madeleine Carroll) the cousin's betrothed, begins to notice a "personality change" in her fiancé.

The 1952 version of "The Prisoner of Zenda" stars Stewart Granger as Maj Rudolph Rassendyll, and Deborah Kerr as the Princess Flavia. The story is beautifully filmed in Technicolor with Granger and Kerr giving fine performances, especially Granger that excelled in swashbuckling tales such as this and my personal favorite, "Scaramouche (1952).

The sixth and final literary classic brought to film is the 1962 version of "Billy Budd." Billy (Terence Stamp) is an innocent, naive seaman in the British Navy in 1797. When the ship's sadistic master-at-arms (evilly played by Robert Ryan) is murdered; Billy is accused and tried. Great performances by Peter Ustinov, Melvyn Douglas, Terence Stamp, and especially Robert Ryan, who certainly deserved what he got!

Any serious dvd collector of classic Hollywood films will definitely add these gems to their library and be glad that they did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamonds are forever!!, March 9, 2007
I ordered this package because of Captain Hornblower and The Three Musketeers, two films that have really marked my childhood memories. I haven't had the chance to see the rest of the films so this package was an excellent chance to do so and also get the two other films that I only possess in worn-out VHS copies.

I have already watched Captain Hornblower and it was as if it was brand new. The quality and sound are of high quality, the colours are better and I also loved the fact that I had the english subtitles available (I always wanted to figure out the "Fire as your guns bare" phrase).

The price is not a bargain only if you compare it with other available box-sets but I would pay even more for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 GREAT FILMS. GREAT PRESENTATION. GREAT VALUE. BRAVO WB, March 11, 2007
Like so many other Warner Brothers releases, this set will spoil you. A 5 disc set of 6 great films (2 versions of ZENDA on one disc), beautifully remastered, exquisitely packaged, and selling here on Amazon for a bargain price.

This is one to tell your friends about, because there's something for everyone here. I echo all the positive comments left by others, and underscore emphatically how amazing it is to finally have a proper widescreen BILLY BUDD. The other films in the collection haven't been as hard to see or own as BILLY, but BILLY suffered from being made by a small company (Allied Artists).

Warner rectifies that error now with this great new set, which is a no-brainer purchase for any true cinephile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where have all the French subtitles/audio gone?, March 4, 2007
Since these are Region 1 DVDs -- USA and Canada -- the official languages are English and French, so both audio and subtitles should be provided in both languages. Subtitles help people with hearing difficulties, and help all when actors don't speak clearly or aren't recorded well.

Spanish is a good third choice.

[BTW, it would be nice if subtitle authors were required to be proficient in the source and destination languages. Ideally, they would have access to the script. Also, they should not make common, elementary English errors: its vs. it's, maybe vs. may be, everyday vs. every day, a lot (not alot), till or until (not 'til or til), Internet (not internet), could've or could have (not could of), OK or okay or even O.K. (not Ok or ok), for a while (not for awhile), I used to (not I use to), omitting the second delimiter of parenthetical information, hyphenating two words (a-b) when they mean to put a dash between two parts of a sentence (a--b, a - b, or a -- b), vs. or v. (not vs), etc. or et cetera (not etc...), etc. Punctuation doesn't matter much in e-mail or in Web reviews, but these subtitle authors are being paid as professionals to create something that lasts.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!!, November 30, 2006
J. Norberg (Grand Forks, ND) - See all my reviews
This item popped up in my recommendations yesterday, and I was excited! Although this is still about 4 months away from being released, it is highly anticipated by me.

The main attractions in this collection (at least from my perspective) are "Captain Horatio Hornblower" and "The Three Musketeers." Neither of these has been available on DVD, and I have looked forward to their inevitible (eventual) release.

"The Three Musketeers" is a very fun movie. This literary classic has been made into several movies over the years, but this is my favorite. There is a humerous slant to this that only someone like Gene Kelly could add. This was actually one of those videos that I watched as a kid, and it made an impression on me. There are some good laughs and overall good entertainment!

"Captain Horatio Hornblower" is another one of those that makes you wonder what took so long to get on DVD! An all-time great that epitomizes the seafaring tale--and Gregory Peck doing a terrific job.

"The Prizoner of Zenda" is considered one of the all-time great family adventure movies by some prominent critics (at least the 1937 version). A terrific addition to this collection.

As for the remaining three, I cannot give individual reviews on them because I have not seen them. However, I would most likely buy this collection for the other three alone, so an additional three titles just makes the bargain better! This is a terrific buy with several "overdue" DVD releases. This is a no brainer for your classic movie collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD of Horatio Hornblower... GREAT!!!, March 25, 2007
My VHS copy of Horation Hornblower was showing signs of age. I had looked for a DVD copy for three years. When I saw this collection--I bought it for that one movie, but I love Billy Bud, and it's great that it has a commentary. I wish Horatio had one also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Budd, August 6, 2007
P. Neal (Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
I'll try to keep it short, I've waited years to track down a copy of this movie. (Thank you, Amazon, if that is not inappropriate).
The movie is "great" "superb" not lost in time. If you like old fashioned entertainment and action, done with integrity. Peter Ustinov as Producer/Director and a leading role, sympathetic, yet having to abide by sea laws, Robert Ryan as a mongrel, Terrence Stamp in yes, his first role, "the collector" came after, and a young "Aussie" John Meillon. Innocent charm, naivety and brutality in one film. I consider this a classic. But who am I to judge? Just a lover of a good film and escapeism.

5.0 out of 5 stars How I remember these films!, May 7, 2007
I waited with earnest anticipation for these films to be released. And finally my wish was granted what wondeful and delightful memorys came flooding back to me. How I remember waking early to view these films on The Prize Morning Movie, and how constantly I looked to see if these fims had been released to DVD's, and then suddenly they where all released in One Box Set. I was moved with such joy, I could not wait to view these wonderful restored colored and every thing else they do to restore these films I watched them all in one weekend, I had my own home revival of classic films with popcorn and friends, it was wonderful!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prisoner of Zenda, May 6, 2007
This Definite Literary Classic Collection is great and a great addition to one's collection. My favorite was the 1937 version of The Prisoner of Zenda.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at lack of quality, June 22, 2007
Roger Howerton (Dallas, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this set mainly for the wonderful 1937 version of "The Prisoner of Zenda." I watched that film first, and was surprised at the lack of quality there. The film does not look to be restored. The picture has a "grainy" look to it. At one point, there are several "scratch" lines running from the top to the bottom of the screen for several frames. The most disappointing flaw, however, occurs near the beginning of the movie: the soundtrack is out of sync with the picture. You see the mouths of the actors move, and there is a split-second delay before you hear the voice. This is most annoying. I have collected many box sets from Warners, and indeed, this company has been my favorite source for the classics. However, their quality does vary from one picture to another (I was very disapointed with "Brigadoon" also -- very poor picture quality). I understand that it takes time and money to restore these pictures, but it also COSTS money to add them to a classic movie collection. If a movie is worth preserving, then it's worth restoring to a near-new quality before producing the DVDs for sale. I realize that we can't have the restoration quality of "The Wizard of Oz" on every product, but for cryin' out loud, can't we at least get a copy of a print with synchronized sound?

Rate and Discover Movies