Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on May 4, 2012
I have two cats and two litter boxes, one upstairs, one downstairs. Started with one Litter Genie - would give it 6 Stars if possible. Bought a second unit so I didn't have to transport between the two locations. Scoop is a little small, but have another that works well. One suggestion I would add is to tie the bottom bag knot so it is on the inside of the bag, then push to bottom of unit. To me, it was a "logical" way of doing things and seems to add stability to the filled bag when you remove it from the unit.

It has been almost two years since I submitted this review. I still have high praise for the Litter Genie, and would/have recommended it to many of my friends. I even gave my second unit to one of them, but he gave it away (heaven only knows why.) I moved to a garden apartment about 18 months ago, and no longer needed two units. With only one cat now, I only have to replace the bag about every two weeks, and there is no odor released from the unit in between bag replacement. Still a definite 5-star purchase.
2929 comments556 of 574 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2014
Love it!! Perfect next to litter box, has a holder on outside for scoop, easy and wide enough to put used letter clumps in top. Keeps smells enclosed and keeps area clean. I wish I had bought this years ago! Easy to set up and has a cutter inside to cut bag and stretch out new one. I'm a clean fanatic so this is perfect!
review image
11 comment86 of 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2015
I purchased this from my local Wal-Mart and it has been really wonderful (I'll explain 4 stars below). The odor control is great, it does not appear to add any smell to the room (it is near the litter box so it may be masked). It is fairly simple to use and it is really nice not having to take out the trash everyday. The container that actually holds the bag/waste is a little under half of the height of the unit (quite a bit of space in there).

The reasons for 4 star instead of 5:
1) The rim covering the bag holder is non removable and comes into contact with the waste, making it a little gross and difficult to clean. I wipe it with Lysol wipes, so it's not terrible but not the best design. I am pointing to the area I am describing in my picture.

2) The latch that keeps it closed (the top to the bottom half) is not very secure. When I pick up the unit it comes apart so I have to be careful. See the picture, I have it partially opened to show what happens when I pick it up.

3) The bags cost money and there are no alternatives (no off brand of generics). I don't mind too much because I buy in bulk, but it adds up.
review image review image
33 comments107 of 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2012
This thing...okay, I was skeptical. But it is absolutely fantastic. I have four cats and multiple litter boxes, but the ones that by far get the most traffic are the two in my bathroom. I scoop multiple times a day so that the house doesn't smell like litter box, and the litter my picky cat will use isn't flushable. I was using some sort of "airtight" trash receptacle with regular plastic grocery bags and could still constantly smell the contents.

Enter Litter Genie. With four cats, one bag only lasts me about a week (just for those two boxes), but the smell is gone. I've one cat in particular that...well, let's just say you can smell it down the hall after she's finished. I just run in and pop it in the Litter Genie, and it even handles THAT.

The little scoop holder didn't actually fit like it was meant to, but I couldn't really be bothered to care. It's small, but what I've discovered is that it fits the opening quite nicely, so you aren't spilling everything all over the place trying to dump it in. And it's so easy to change out the bag. I'm thinking of getting another one for downstairs!
33 comments248 of 261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2015
I went through one Litter Genie refill in a week and a half with my three cats, which is way to quickly for the cost compared to just scooping into small trash bag. The great thing about the Litter Genie is that I can just use a regular kitchen size trash bag inside it!

Update: Using a trash bag inside it is more ideal for a 1-2 cat household. The Litter Genie's opening isn't quite large enough when scooping clumped litter for 3 cats every 2 days. There's always a mess on the opening and stray litter falling on the floor. I've started just scooping into smaller 4-gallon scented Ruffles trash bags again and tying them up. I will put them into the bottom of the Litter Genie until trash day and bag everything up together, at least it saves me taking out my kitchen trash every other day.

Update 2/3/16: I now don't even use the Genie anymore since it doesn't fit my needs for a multiple cat household. I just keep a covered trash can next to the litter box. I scoop into the 4-gallon size bags, tie them up, and place those in the covered trash can. Then take it all out on trash day.
review image review image
22 comments68 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2013
We have 2 cats, and the litter boxes are downstairs in a separate room in the basement. To cut down me having to walk up to the trash all the time (I check/scoop litter boxes multiple times a day), we got this. We've had it 8 months. In that 8 months, for the 2 cats, I need to empty it weekly. We're on the 5th refill. It is super easy to assemble and use (I am familiar with diaper genie of similar design) and I actually like the scoop it comes with and it attaches fine.

However, the last 1-2 weeks it has started to smell like a cat bathroom in the room downstairs. Not like litter, and not like fresh poo/pee (not an accident) - just that old stale cat pee/poo smell. I cleaned everything and finally realized it was the litter genie. I emptied it, cleaned it and the smell is just still there (actually, the diaper genie has this issue too). It just smells after a prolonged period of use. Most of these reviews are written after a month or so - and back then I would have raved about this. But now...if I can't get that smell out of there (I will try a few other cleaning methods), it's back to plastic grocery or ziploc bags. It is now outside on our patio, and the smell inside has gone away.
1414 comments135 of 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 10, 2014
Okay, this thing is a piece of garbage. It is too small yet at the same time too bulky. it is cheaply made (lid broke off after only a few uses) and worst of all it is designed horribly. If you are like me, you usually scoop the poop into a plastic left over grocery bag...with the bag in or over the cat box. this keeps any spill (which there always is with a sieve scooper) but with this thing, you have to push it up next to the box and then try and tilt it over the box (or hold it over and it's heavy and awkward) to make the deposit. if they had designed this so it had a slanted (and larger) opening, it would make more sense, but who ever did just made this like a cheap version of a diaper genie where you walk over with a bundle and deposit it. not possible in the cramped spaces most people keep litter boxes. knotting and threading the expensive sold separately bags is a joke and with all this, it has very little "capacity" -- a few scoops and it's filled. doesn't help with three cats. i have my 4 catboxes upstairs in a closet, so i cannot run to the outside / downstairs / out to the alley garbage can with every scoop, (especially as I scoop twice a day)...so after much trial and error i came up with this system (all available on the amazon site) after throwing this cheap thing away and returning the extra bags i had bought:

1. 1 simplehuman Large Pet Food Storage Can to hold the poop.
2. a good stainless steel scooper to scoop the poop
3. a stick-on refillable deodorizer for the lid of the storage can.
4. odor-proof plastic kitchen size bags to line the storage can.
5. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Compact Pet Air Purifier (running on the lowest setting)

Now i can even fill the BIG storage bin all the way up with poop, not smell a thing, and carry the full kitchen size bag down to the dumpster every few days or once a week, if I want.
yes, it got expensive, but i know most people who look at this thing, like me, want an odor-free cat box area and this was the only way i accomplished it.
1616 comments76 of 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi D. Cairns "marzook"!

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are sorry to read that you are disappointed with our Litter Genie and would love to get additional information from you about this purchase.

If you would like to discuss further, please call 1-877-876-8687, Monday-Friday 8am-6pm, EST. Please refer to your Amazon Name when calling.
on October 6, 2012
I've only had this a couple days, but I think for the most part it's awesome.

Common complaints made me skeptical of the litter genie, but I went on impulse and bought it anyway. Boy, am I happy that I did!

-Assembly was easy and straight to the point. I'm not sure why so many people had problems with it.

-I think the scoop is good quality. But then again, I normally get the dollar store scoops. (hey, it's for cat poop.)

-It's compact, but large enough to hold a lot of poo. I also like you can pick which side to put the scoop and holder on.

-No odor, it's awesome.

My only complaint, though it is a sufficiently large one: is the refill prices. $12? Seriously? I bought the thing for $16! I almost feel like I should just buy a new genie every time, and try and sell the old used one for $12. For a multi-cat household who needs a new refill every 2-3 weeks....it's not financially reasonable. It's plastic. Up the price of the unit to $25 and sell the refills for $5.
88 comments203 of 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2015
As a new cat owner (I let a stray in on a cold winter night and she decided to keep us lol) I quickly realized how much I was going to HATE dealing with a litter box and cat waste. Keeping a wad of plastic grocery bags (that may or may not have holes in them) and then taking them down to the trash everyday just wasn't going to cut it. I was actually on the fence about keeping the cat until I did a few things to make owning her substantially easier. This product along with the great litter they sell here on Amazon plus a Cat Box/Washroom to hide the litter box has ensured Jinxy has a permanent home with us :)

Now about this product - it came packaged well and was super easy to setup for first use. It includes the genie, a refill cartridge and a scoop. Just pull the seal off of the supplied refill cartride, insert into the unit, pull the film through the hole to the bottom of the genie and then tie a knot in the bottom of the film - latch it closed and it's ready to use.
The usability of this product is spot on - it couldn't be easier to use! Just pop the lid, dump the waste in the funnel shaped hole, close the lid then pull the spring-tensioned sliding seal and the waste drops down into the bag. Let the seal go and you're done. Clean, no smell and it holds about a week's worth of waste for a medium sized cat.

The only real issue I have with the product is that for something that sees daily use it is pretty flimsy... The plastic of the genie itself is very thin - it could stand to be at least twice as thick. I would easily pay twice as much for a heavier duty version. For the price though it's really hard to complain, especially for all the benefits it brings to the table.
review image
11 comment35 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2015
I have 2 cats, and I was skeptical at how much it said it could hold when I received it dur to it's compact size. Boy was I EVER wrong! With my two cats I only have to take the waste out every week! I live in a 2nd floor apartment and have to drive trash to the compactor, this is a LIFE SAVER!
review image
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse