4.0 out of 5 stars No more scooping!
I had seen these fancy litter boxes before but had resisted because of the high price tag and the uncertainty of whether they would work. When this litter box was offered as part of the Vine program, I jumped at it.

The litter box is a lot larger than I had anticipated (I hadn't actually measured out the dimensions given on the item description). The assembly...
Published on November 25, 2008 by kdea473

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed review from the cats
We have three cats and four litter boxes--this one makes five--so I know a thing or two about scooping. I've been intrigued by the idea of these self-cleaning boxes for some time, especially since my significant other can't seem to clean the litter boxes with any regularity if I'm out of town. More recently, one cat's sudden penchant for peeing in inappropriate places for...
Published on November 30, 2008 by Daffy Du

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars After 10 years no longer..., March 25, 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: LitterMaid Elite Mega Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box (Misc.)
After 10 years I am no longer a customer of LITTERMAID products.
I have always had 3 cats I started off with their first elite model. It worked great except for the fact that it had a plastic rake and it would get gummed up regularly and that the side rails were too low. The first one lasted 3 years till the urine corroded the mechanized parts of the unit to the point that it stopped working. Fine.. purchased same unit.. worked fine for 2 more years.. then Littermaid had the new and "improved" version of the elite. I quickly purchased it to find that now there is a metal rake!! and the sides have been extended (slightly. Just what we have been asking for!!! Uh oh... Wait, whats wrong with the motor?? It cant move a turd out of its way to save it's life. I call and they replace the unit... It arrives at the house DOA! Call Littermaid for replacement... Same problem. The unit struggles along and progressively gets louder as the weeks go by. Then it caught on fire... well that's a bit harsh.. lets say smoldering black smoke came from the unit. Called.. Replaced. Now on my 4th box. This one lasted 8 months before getting so week that it jams at least 3 times a day (I keep it very clean and lube the gears once every 2 months.) Last week POOF!! The return of Smokey. Called Littermaid (still under warranty). They said that they cant send me another unit because i had exchanged too many in the past.. GEE I WONDER WHY??? CRAPPY PRODUCT (no pun intended)! Instead they will send me a refund.
I just used it to purchase a working automatic cat box.. The Litter Robot. [...] Crossing my fingers... If they only would have beefed up the motor, I would still be a Littermaid customer.. Oh well...

5.0 out of 5 stars My Cats and I Are Both Pleased with Freshness, December 17, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 0:38 Mins

Three of my six cats have been using the LitterMaid LME9000MB Self Cleaning Edition.

Aside from it being somewhat loud, both my cats and myself are not put off by the murmur when the litter is being sifted clean. In fact my cats love the litter box so clean and fresh.

It does use LitterMaid litter and other more expensive brands of high clumping litter. The litter I'm currently using for this is Arm & Hammer Super Scoop, which is more than I pay for my regular litter, but since only half of my cats use this box, it lasts pretty well.

I recommend this to anyone needing or wanting a little break in cleaning their cats' litter box.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very noisey with a short life span. Not recommended., May 30, 2010
J. Higgins (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
When I first received this product I would easily give it a 4 star... But not anymore... Below is my original review, along with my revision and current thoughts and feelings on this product.

********ORIGINAL REVIEW********
I have 2 cats and my roommate has 1... Before this I had 2 big litter boxes and my roommate had a tiny one. Her cat kept using my boxes so eventually we went down to two boxes. Then I bought this and I tossed one of those boxes... I kept the other box for several weeks and eventually tossed it. Now I have 3 cats on this one Littermaid box.

The positives:
- Duh, no scooping!
- 9 hour sleep timer.
- Fairly easy maintenance.

The negatives:
- It's loud... I mean very loud. The sleep timer is a necessity because it would wake you up even 2 rooms over. My timer is set from 1am-10am and if I happen to still be asleep at 10am, this thing will definitely wake me.
- The ionic air thing doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't... But I find the more productive approach to smell is to keep the litter fresh, keep the receptacle empty, and keep the box in it's own closet with an air freshener.
- If you have a digger of a cat, the rake will often get stuck... I try to keep the litter at the max level I can because I have a digging cat. If it's at max then it's too much trouble for her to dig all the way to the bottom, but when it gets lower and she digs to the bottom, it sticks to the plastic and the rake will get stuck. Again, not a big deal... Manually scooping a couple hours of backed up waste every couple days is still way better then manually scooping waste in 2-3 boxes once or twice a day.

Other thoughts:
- Purchase the Ultimate Accessories Kit from wherever you can (it's not on Amazon). I got it for $40 at drsfosterandsmith.com and it comes with a matching BLACK canopy (which seemed to be hard to find otherwise), a large under the box no-slip carpet, and extra waste receptacles and carbon filters.
- Don't toss out your waste receptacles so easily... It can be expensive. Since I purchased this unit around 6 months ago, I have only used 10 or so in all. I put grocery bags in them and empty them out every 2 days or so. I only toss the receptacles when they are getting real bent up or when I'm doing a full cleaning of the box.
- Get a metal scooper... The provided one is great if your pet pees on the rake and it gets stuck... But if you have a digger, you will also want another spare metal one for scraping off the bottom. It can REALLY get stuck to the plastic hard.

********UPDATE July 26th, 2011********
I have some additional thoughts and a lower rating of 2 stars to give this unit.

- Terribly short life span w/ multiple cats -
I have had 2 replace this unit because it crapped out within the 1-year warranty range. The replacement is now crapping out within 1-year of that too. This is likely due to excess use from multiple cats, but still... At the price, I'd expect more.

- NOOOOOISE -
The motor slowly craps out on you and when it starts to go, it starts having trouble scooping and will take up to 5 attempts before giving up. So you get that same noise as I mentioned above, but for 3-5x longer depending on how much difficulty the unit is having. When you are really nearing the death of the box, you get a nice clicking and breaking sound as the gears start spinning and skipping.

- Warranty -
Exchanging the product was simple and easy. However, the company doesn't always keep this unit in stock. It appears that it's only offered at select retailers and the company doesn't even have it listed on their own website. In place of this one, they will attempt to send you a cheaper model. They did this to me at first, without warning. When I received it I complained and they quoted the warranty saying that they will send a comparable unit. I fought and argued saying that a unit that's $50 cheaper (25-40%) is not comparable and I refuse. So I had to wait for them to get this unit in, which took 2-3 months.

- Daily scooping nearing the end of life -
Towards the end, the motor has more and more trouble pushing the litter. The longer you have it, the more you will find yourself scooping daily because the rake couldn't push the litter all the way. Near the end of it's 8-10 month life span, you will end up using the loud motor sound as a reminder to go manually scoop the litter because it won't be able to.

In the end, this is not worth it. I just went back to a manual scoop by purchasing Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Large, Green and Beige instead. If I'm going to have to manually deal with litter anyway, it may as well be a box that will last me forever and doesn't cost a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst products I have ever purchased, July 12, 2009
I adopted 2 kittens a couple months after my adult female passed away. I wanted to start off right away with the best litter box I could afford. By purchasing the elite mega I started off with a huge nightmare instead. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! The rake does not effectively scoop and I buy premium litter. What does get scooped barely makes it into the receptacle making a huge mess. The receptacle is tiny and the filter and ionic breeze are NOT effective at reducing odor. The plastic tray does not come out easily and therefore snaps out causing an even bigger mess. I'm still in awe at the cost of such a miserable piece of equipment.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Rake Motor Too Weak to Scoop!, November 5, 2010
Length:: 2:07 Mins

This would be terrific if the receptacles weren't so expensive and the LitterMaid Elite Mega Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box ACTUALLY WORKED!

From day one this has been an under powered piece of &#$! You know, a piece of what it's supposed to automatically rake from the litter box. I use the PREMIUM scooping litter Scoop Away® SCOOP AWAY MULTICAT LITTER - 25 Pound and the rake will encounter a clump courtesy of my cat Rowdy and is intimidated so much it bogs down dead in its track. The cycle will repeat of few times of course just so the machine will make enough racket to wake the neighborhood. It will eventually give up and return to its home position and wait for me to its job and rake the waste from the box.

Don't waste your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I survive without this for so long?, November 24, 2008
Jay Riemenschneider (Roswell, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I did a lot of research on these type of units before getting this one. It seems that people either love them or hate them, so I want to pass on some tips that have helped me get the most out of my unit.
1. Keep it filled with litter to the line only. Overfilling strains the motor due to the weight of the litter. Letting it get too low on litter allows urine to stick to the bottom and then the rake can't scrape it off cleanly. One reviewer said they sprayed silicone spray on tray bottom between cleanings. I did it once. It worked well, but I don't change the litter completely anymore. I just add.
2. Use a grocery plastic bag to line the waste receptacle to make emptying a breeze. This was probably the best tip there is. It takes a few tries to get the hang, but soon you won't be touching anything dirty with your bare hands.
3. You do not need to use the ramp if it takes up too much floor space. I don't think it provides much benefit myself.
4. Don't expect perfection. It takes a little tlc and needs some help from time to time. If you have multiple cats or are away most of the day, this is a must. There is absolutely no trace of a cat smell in the house.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't recommend - failed to work, April 1, 2010
After struggling to put it together it wouldn't come on - called the manufacturer and and fooling with it for a while it finally started to go thru the cycle. After a few days it cycled and the rake came off and it was froze in position at the dumping site with the motor humming.

Could not get it to work - Amazon very nice - refunded plus shipping - no complaint with Amazon.

Very dissapointed as we have had the "old" models for way over 10 years and no problem - just starting to wear out at this point.

Don't know what we will do for a replacement because automatic litter cleaners are the best thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommendations for first time buyers, December 6, 2009
I just purchased the Elite Mega and is our third LitterMaid in the last 6 years. While this product is not EXCELLENT it is better than manual scooping.

If you are a first time buyer here are some things you SHOULD DO to be completely satisfied:
1. ALWAYS USE A COOKING SPRAY ON THE RAKE AND THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX. DO THIS ON OLDER OR NEWER MODELS. OTHERWISE LITTER WILL START STICKING TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TRAY, ESPECIALLY IN URINE AREAS.
2. USE A CLUMPING LITTER. I USE SCOOP AWAY MIXED WITH ARM AND HAMMER TIGHT CLUMPING.
3. THE SMALL 4 GALLON TRASH BAGS ARE LIGHT WEIGHT ENOUGH TO LINE THE TRAY AND STILL FIT UNDER THE TABS. SAVES LOTS OF MONEY THIS WAY. ON THE NEW MODEL I USED 2 BOTTOM TRAYS TOGETHER FOR EASE OF REMOVING FOR CLEANING.
4. I DO USE ARM AND HAMMER DEODORIZING POWDER TO FRESHEN THE LITTER EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS.
5. MOST IMPORTANT...LET YOUR CAT GET USE TO THE BOX BEFORE YOU TURN THE MOTOR ON.

Pros of Newer Model:
1. Holds more litter. Never gets jammed.
2. Metal rake is better than plastic. It can also be removed for cleaning and recoating with cooking spray for better litter removal.
3. Ionic odor remover. I haven't noticed where this is an advantage. Our litter box has never really smelled bad as long as the lid is closed with either old or new model.

Cons of Newer Model:
1. The new design motion of the rake can get behind a huge clump and push lots of clean litter into the waste receptacle. The older model picked up the waste then dumped but it often got in a loop cycle while trying to clean with too much litter added or piled too high in one spot.
2. The dark black shows SO MUCH DUST. If I had it to do over I'd buy a light colored one.
3. The newer model is a lot harder to clean. I have found that cleaning out the left over litter with a dust pan, washing down with paper towels, dry and recoat with cooking spray is easier than handling the huge bottom part.
4. The motor does have a higher pitch than the older model but not too bad.

All in All I would still suggest the newer model. While the design is not perfect it has improved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality Control is Even Worse than Before, October 9, 2009
JMH (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This is my fourth or fifth LitterMaid (I've lost track). The first one I bought around 15 years ago and I was very happy with it. It lasted a couple of years, I replaced it, and the next one was fine as well. Some time after that the company changed either how or where the boxes were constructed, or possibly both, and the subsequent ones were nothing but trouble: burnt-out motors after a month or so was the most common problem. (I wondered whether they started making them in Detroit; my aunt recently bought a Cadillac and has had much the same experience.)

Customer service was usually accommodating and they replaced the defective units quickly, but it was very inconvenient replacing the thing every month or so. I finally gave up and bought a Litter Robot. This was in many ways a superior product, and my last one lasted around three years. I didn't like its being completely enclosed, though, and it's very difficult to clean completely; the edge of the cylinder would also drag in the litter tray and create a mess. I saw that Litter Maid had been redesigned and decided to give it a try again, and bought the most expensive one.

It barely works. The motor is barely powerful enough to pull the rake unit and usually needs help to complete a cycle. It keeps having to be adjusted so that the receptacle cover closes; otherwise it sticks open. The whole rake unit seems poorly fitted and loose and doesn't sift very well; it's constantly clogged with waste and has to be scraped clean once or twice a day minimum. Even the stupid plastic trays seem thinner than before. If I don't remove them when they're less than a quarter full, they bend and spill litter all over because they can't support any weight.

It's even worse than before. Don't waste your money. The principle seems good, but the product is so poorly made that it's not much better than a plain old litter box and scoop. (By the way, mine is a single-cat household.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, March 27, 2010
I hate this littermaid elite, I have owned two other littermaid machines and loved like the LitterMaid LM900 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box by LitterMaid which lasted 5 years and thought I could go to the store and buy another. The new elite machine does not fit into my litter bigger box to cut down on noise. The new littermaid dumps massive amounts of fresh litter into the dirty bin to be thrown out. I was so excited with this newer model, when my husband and I took out of the box we thought this won't last 2 years it is cheaply made compared to the other 2 models prior to this one, but we thought yeah it will hold more litter, not exactly, but it will dump more clean litter into the dirty litter bin. The mess is horrible like another writer pointed out it leaves litter behind the unit inside of the unit. It is just a plain mess litter everywhere and my cat wants that cleaned up every day around and outside the litter machine. I am thrilled they still sell the LM900 and at half the price I am ordering the other unit today, and tossing the new elite out the window.

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›