4.0 out of 5 stars No more scooping!
I had seen these fancy litter boxes before but had resisted because of the high price tag and the uncertainty of whether they would work. When this litter box was offered as part of the Vine program, I jumped at it.

The litter box is a lot larger than I had anticipated (I hadn't actually measured out the dimensions given on the item description). The assembly...
Published on November 25, 2008 by kdea473

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed review from the cats
We have three cats and four litter boxes--this one makes five--so I know a thing or two about scooping. I've been intrigued by the idea of these self-cleaning boxes for some time, especially since my significant other can't seem to clean the litter boxes with any regularity if I'm out of town. More recently, one cat's sudden penchant for peeing in inappropriate places for...
Published on November 30, 2008 by Daffy Du

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 533 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the Large Apartment Dwelling Cat, January 14, 2009
This review is from: LitterMaid Elite Mega Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With two cats, I had come to the decision (one that I have never regretted) to leave the litter box duties to technology. Or as much of those duties as non-humanly possible. That decision lead me to the LitterMaid LM700, not a perfect solution by any measure but still a useful convenience and a very good thing for peace of mind during short trips out of town.

Now, with four cats, one of them being, shall we say, extra large, perhaps some new version of the technology was in order. Enter the LitterMaid Elite Mega. If you're not already familiar with these contraptions, er, technological wonders, they work like this: you fill the box with clumping litter, the cat enters and breaks an invisible beam of light starting a timer that, in 10 minutes time, hopefully rakes the waste into a bin under a hinged lid. At least that's the plan.

New features of the Elite Mega compared to the LM700:
- Extra roomy litter box for larger cats
- Quiet timer to disable motorized scooping during the night; great for apartments
- Removable metal rake that easy to clean
- Automatic ionizer odor zapper

The LitterMaid Elite Mega actually looks rather sleek done in silver and gray. I was rather surprised the plastic was a softer variety - more like a simple litter pan than the hard plastic of the LM700. There's also a red glowing LED clock and some buttons for power and clock settings. The buttons are cheap-microwave style push buttons. The Elite Mega also has an easily removable METAL rake instead of the of plastic, a welcome improvement.

Setting up the LitterMaid Elite Mega was an easy process requiring no tools basically just sliding a few bits into slots and installing a plastic waste bin and plugging the power adapter in. It is recommended that you spray the litter pan with silicon or non-stick cooking spray beforehand. You will also want to install 8 AA batteries as a backup power source, to maintain the clock setting but, most importantly, to make sure the unit powers ON after a power outage. Yes, even if you have no use for the clock and quiet timer and even if you don't care about automatic scooping during a power outage, YOU MUST INSTALL 8 AA BATTERIES OTHERWISE THE UNIT WILL STAY OFF AFTER A POWER OUTAGE.

In operation, the Elite Mega more or less does the job. There are a few things which are a bit annoying about the device though. For one thing, the motor is very loud. I suspect its a bit underpowered hearing how much louder it gets when the rake meets the litter. The larger litter tray is also shallower which, even with a coating of silicon spray, seems to cause more clumps to stick to the tray than with the smaller, deeper models. Clumps also tend to push more dry litter into into the waste tray requiring emptying more often -- in my household with 4 cats (one outdoor), the LM700 waste tray needed emptying every 5-6 days while the Elite Mega lasts 4 days (other litter boxes available in both cases). Furthermore, an odd design feature allows some amount of litter behind the resting point of the rake and waste can sometimes work behind it. And the nice sleek silver and gray finish isn't so nice looking when coated with dust from litter. The most annoying feature is having to install 8 AA batteries otherwise you have to manually turn the units power ON after a power outage.

That may sound fairly damning but, still, the Elite Mega does the job if you don't mind checking it and maybe scooping once a day. What, you still have to scoop!? Yes, perhaps, but just some muddy stuff that gets stuck to the bottom. (Maybe I should have gone with the Pam cooking spray instead of silicon?) Even with these drawbacks, I believe the Elite would be perfect for an apartment dweller with a small to extra large cat or anyone else who needs the unit to stay off and quiet during the night. If you don't need the quiet timer, however, you might want to look at the less expensive LM700 model instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 1 month of use..., December 17, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ultimate Edition LitterMaid automatic litter box is definitely the right investment and became a must have for my 2 cats. Following the instructions, it was easy to assemble and set-up (about 10-15 minutes). The cats had no problem switching from the old cat litter box to the new one. It almost completely eliminates the odor (thanks to the Built-in Ionic Air Cleaner) and it is very easy to clean. It still requires some attention but cuts manual scooping to about 20% compared to regular litter boxes. The container (for all the excrements) fills up in about a week and it's easy to replace. I keep the litter box in the basement where I have enough space for it and I have set-up the sleep timer to minimize hearing the noise from moveable parts when the litter is operating. But the noise, which is equivalent to a printer, is a minor inconvenience comparing to all the other benefits. I definitely recommend this product for multiple cats. A must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good alternative, a little on the spendy side, December 9, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was fairly easy to assemble, took my husband about 15 minutes. I thought it would freak my cat out, but it didn't. She was really curious at first and then went to work. What I like about it is there is less odor and less work to do. The ramp attached is easy to clean and leaves less mess on the floor around the box.
I subtracted a star due to the replacements you need there are ongoing costs to maintaining it. It's noisy in the cleaning mode. The waste receptacle is a little on the small side and the rake misses some of the smaller clumps.
But overall, I like the product. I wasn't expecting a miracle with it, I just wanted something to make the task less unpleasant and tedious and it does that job for me just fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazon sent me an opened box with no manual or warranty card, November 20, 2013
I've used these litter boxes before and as long as the work they great. My issue with this one is not the produce itself but the way and condition it was shipped by Amazon. The box was opened on both ends and there is no instruction manual or warranty card in it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Old design was better, June 3, 2012
Plain Jane (Liberty City,TX USA) - See all my reviews
I owned the origin model for 7 years and it final wore out. Purchased this model and wish I would have done more research on the new design. It does not clean to the bottom of the box, which means I have to scoop to keep it clean. The rakes that move up and down leave poop behind. The fact that they do not go to the bottom of the tray clumps of urine pile up in the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the litterbox fresh - great for multiple cat households, September 30, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used LitterMaid's line of automatic litter boxes for about ten years, starting with the original model. With five cats, they have proven to be an invaluable tool to help keep up with the litter box and to keep my home from smelling like a litter box. I've used several models over the years and the basic functions are the same with each iteration of the LitterMaid litter box:
- The boxes have motion detectors inside that are triggered when your cat uses the litter box. The box is programmed to rake the length of the litter box approximately ten minutes after the cat exits, scooping the cat's waste into a disposable plastic bin after giving it time to clump.
- The boxes can be used with AC current or on battery power.
- The boxes are durable.

The LitterMaid Elite Mega Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box is no different than the models that have come before regarding the features above. However, this unit has some additional features that my previous LitterMaid models did not:
- The rake that scoops the waste is removable, providing for easier cleaning. Previous boxes had the rake attached to the top section where the motor was housed, making it trickier to clean as you could not submerge this section of the old units. Being able to remove the rake means you can clean it so much easier and faster.
- The Elite unit has a timer function that allows you to keep the box from running when you are asleep if the noise bothers you. For me, I've grown accustomed to the noise, so I tune it out pretty well, but this is a nice feature.

As I said before, I've had several different models of the LitterMaid litter boxes over the years, and I've never encountered any difficulty in assembling any of them - until I got the LitterMaid Elite Mega Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box. If you follow the assembly instructions in the manual in order, you won't be able to put it together properly. The instructions say to add the receptacle supports in step 1, but I was not able to insert the top housing correctly if the receptacle supports were already in place. Once I removed the receptacle supports, I was able to insert the top housing correctly and was then able to add the receptacle supports again without issue. I tried for over an hour to add these parts in the order the manual specifies, but it just wouldn't work that way.

After I got past that issue, the rest of the assembly was as easy as pie. One thing to be cautious of is that it is very important to not overfill the box with litter. It has lines inside making it easy to fill it with the proper amount of litter. Over the years I have found it easiest to add a little less than I think it needs, then turn the box on and allow the rake to run through the litter once. When it does this, it settles the litter, and there is usually less than it looked like at first. Then you can add a little more until you get it to the fill line.

I've used this unit for a while now, and it has proven as dependable as the previous models were for me. All my cats use this box without issue. I know some cats don't like sharing a litter box with other cats, but I think that mine have shared this without issue because it is free of another's waste each time they use it.

With five cats, I have to empty the waste bin every other day. Disposal is very easy - you simply press the two `buttons' on the plastic lid to remove it from the box, then lift the disposable waste bin filled with your cat's deposits and take it to the garbage. Pop another waste bin and lid into place and it is ready for use again.

Of course, just because you don't have to scoop litter doesn't mean you should wash the box periodically. Even just changing the litter isn't good enough - you must empty it and completely clean it to remove bacteria and other things that may build up over time. I have found the best way to clean it is with a bucket of hot soapy water and paper towels. I take the unit outside, pull on some rubber gloves and completely wipe the entire unit down with the paper towels dipped in the hot soapy water (it is best to use a gentle cleaner like dishwashing detergent as a stronger scent may turn your cat off.) The parts without electrical motors are easy and quick to clean and can even be submerged, but you need to be a little careful around the motor, of course. With older models that has the rake attached to the motor section, this was much more difficult, but cleaning the Elite model goes much faster since you can remove the rake and clean it better.

You do need to be sure to only use clumping litter in the LitterMaid box. The manual recommends several brands that work well with it. I've always used either Fresh Step or Arm & Hammer and had great results with each.

I highly recommend the LitterMaid box. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is because of the issue with the assembly instructions. If Amazon allowed half stars, I really feel that the box deserves 4.5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars love it, June 29, 2011
WOW!!! I was skeptical about this purchase for it was costly. But worth every penny. Noise level is quiet, Oliver (orange tabby) loves it. Has an digital timmer on back to time when you want it to clean. The blades slide out for easy cleaning. It's easy to put together with simple instructions. Good quality and made strudy to last. Love it. Also purchased a tent cover to keep litter inside.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for my household, April 23, 2011
Ryan Leonard (Central Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
After setting up and using the Littermaid Elite for myself, I'm surprised how many negative reviews there are. I agree that the instructions are not very detailed, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to assemble the whopping 3 main compents and then attach the waste bin and kitty ramp. As for the unit's actual function, it works perfectly so far. My cats took to it right away and one of them actually sits on the ramp and waits for it to run its clean cycle just to watch it move. The unit is a bit noisy, similar to a can opener, but not loud enough to cause any problems. The only problem I have noticed is that it sometimes pushes a bit of litter off the front corner near the waste bin if there is a clump being pushed to that side; the clump goes in the bin and just a bit of loose litter pushes over the side. This could have been easily prevented if a little extra plastic was molded in to cover the gap where this happens (or you can attach your own bit of plastic or cardboard for the same effect). Either way, the mess from this is still much less than the normal litter box, which had tons of little scattered around from the cats exiting. The ramp does a great job of cleaning off their feet and sitting the whole unit on top of a litter mat will take care of the rest. The only other issue I've found is mostly due to human error- you must make sure the level of litter in the box is within the suggested limits. To much and the unit gets bogged down, to little and the clumps could stick to the bottom and won't easily get whisked away into the waste bin. A quick check every day is all you need to keep things running smoothly and a complete cleaning from time to time wouldn't hurt. I'm guessing most people assume this is a "set it and forget it" type of product and that is where most of the complaints arise from. I would also recommend upgrading to the reuseable waste bin system. The standard bins work fine, but it seems silly to keep throwing the entire thing out when all you really need to do is empty it once or twice a week. Overall, I'm happy with the Littermaid Elite and glad I took the chance on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great!, February 7, 2011
This is a great litter box! The best thing about it? You don't have to scoop any more! I have 5 cats, two 4 month old kittens, 2 who are 3, and 1 old cat who's about 9. They all use the litter box and like it. It took them awhile to get used to the noise of when it was scooping. I used to have another cat, who was put to sleep before I got the kittens, he hated the litter box. It was loud, and sometimes it would go off when he was in the room. Make sure you keep a manual box around so there are no accidents.
I reccomend you clean the box with soap and water at least once every two or three months. Every once in awhile there will be a runnier batch that will stick to the box because a certain brand of food upset their tummies.
It comes with a scooper with prongs on the tips, which are used to clean (de-poop) the automatic pooper-scooper apart of the litter box. A lot of the time the scooper won't get all of the poo off, and you should take it apart and wash it.
I know all of the washing I've mentioned sounds hard and why would you get this box if you still have to get down and dirty cleaning it? Because you don't have to scooop! Five cats for one box is a little much, and the trays have to be emptied at least once a day, but it's worth it. And speaking of trays, try tossing the poo into a garbage bag instead of throwing each tray out once it gets full. You can save money if you rinse the tray out in the sink, or just toss out the poop.
You'll have to toss litter in a lot because you can only have about an inch, inch and a half of litter in the box at one time, or else the scooper won't pick up the poo. If these things don't bother you, then go ahead and get it! It's worth it!

1.0 out of 5 stars They didn't improve this new model - they made it worse!, January 16, 2011
I have used LitterMaid self-cleaning litter boxes for about 8 years and have always loved them and recommended them to all my friends. So, when it was time for a new one I figured the fancy, upgraded new pan with the sonic air cleaner, etc. would be the way to go. Boy did I waste my money! Whatever they did to this new one just ruined it! It raked in as much loose litter as it did clumps which means I had to empty about every 2 days and was going through lots more litter than before. It was very noisy and on the blink half the time. I was always having to take it apart and reset it - and technical support has been pretty poor. I finally got sick of the hassel and after six months of struggling with it, I replaced it with a new older model which works great! Don't waste your time or money on this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 533 | Next ›