Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon August 29, 2011
Over the years I've read a wide assortment of leadership books and I've certainly learned from each and every one of them. But every now and then, you pick up a leadership book and something about it just grabs you and won't let go. You find yourself drinking in knowledge and ideas and become totally absorbed in the author's message. Such is the case with Jeffrey Gitomer's LITTLE BOOK OF LEADERSHIP. I am very passionate about leadership and therefore passionate about books on leadership, but it's been a long time since I've held a book that captured my interest like this one has. I've also read several books by Gitomer and he always manages to capture my interest, but this one even exceeded my expectations. I think this is the best work he has put out in quite some time.

This is really a leadership training manual. If you were tasked with training a new leader, you could literally use this as a textbook. There are 13 chapters (okay, 12.5 chapters), but the book will grab your attention even before you get to the actual chapters. The intro itself contains insight on how best to use the book, defining leadership and how to define your role as leader and the forward by Doc Hershey that explains situational leadership and the four quadrants and bell curve.

I'm sure some critics will belittle the fact that Gitomer uses this book to encourage readers to buy some of his other books, such as the Little Gold Book of Yes Attitude. Personally, I have no issue with this tactic, especially in this context. You see, the "Yes Attitude" is a subchapter in Chapter 2 on Mental Leadership, so why wouldn't he offer a resource for you to use for further development?

Those familiar with Gitomer's books will recognize the familiar formatting, different and unique and I must admit, not readily accepted by all readers. The first Gitomer book I ever read almost drove me crazy with the formatting, but once I got used to it, it all started to make sense. You'll find the same thing here, links to more information and other online resources, a liberal disbursement of quotes, self evaluations and numbered lists. Also each chapter and subchapter concludes with 2 major elements; Key Points of Understanding and Key Action to Take.

I've just about worn out a mechanical pencil underlining and making margin notes. You're going to find an incredible amount of information here that you will want to put to work for you. We all want to become the best leader we can possibly be. This book will help to become just that. Make this the next priority on your reading list.
on May 20, 2012
I like Gitomer's sales stuff and that's why I have all of his books. When I saw this book came out it was a no brainer to pick it up. Some people think his sales advice is too basic but being great at the basics can take you very far in sales and life. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as his sales books. I thought there was too much rah-rah and long lists without enough actionable items. Several times I found quotes that were merely Jeffery's opinion but where some of my training on influence would completely contradict him (i.e. influence vs. authority). Another example was his rant about company mission statements without any plan to make it happen. Usually the strategic plans and tactical implementation are internal only and not shared as a mission statement might be shared. The more I read the more I found myself thinking of Jeffery as a salesman but not a leader. Leading his small organization is very different that leading a large department, division or an entire company. While he had some good advice there are many other books that would be far more worthwhile for aspiring leaders.
on January 5, 2013
Gitomer nails it again with a great read on leadership (and sales). However, it seems as though at this point he's starting to borrow way too much from his other titles in the 'Little Book' series. I recommend this book but with some reservations if you've already read two or more of the other titles. Good read though.
on May 8, 2011
Short, sweet and to the point. Dead on target. Tracks with 45 years of observing leaders. Read, heed and lead.
on November 3, 2015
I picked this up because I wanted to know what the 0.5 strength of the "12.5 Strengths" in the subtitle is. Quite disappointing, it's only a gimmick of the author who simply named every last point x of his dos and donts as point x.5. Even worse, I found the ideas quite repetitive around page 50 and I had tried really hard to finish the whole book. In short, not recommended! For those who aspire to sharpen their leadership skills, "The Leader's Guide to Speaking with Presence: How to Project Confidence, Conviction, and Authority by John Baldoni" would be a more suitable choice.

p.s. Below please find some favorite passages of mine for your reference.
Your reputation precedes you, and defines you. Pg21
Do they want to listen to you? Or do they have to listen to you? Pg24
Morale is not a problem. Morale is a symptom. Pg36
If you don’t like your lifestyle, look at your results.
If you don’t like your results, look at your actions.
If you don’t like your actions, look at your attitude.
If you don’t like your attitude, look at your philosophy. Pg41
If you think you don’t have a personal philosophy, think again! You have one. Like an old book, it may be hidden in the attic of your psyche, dusty and untouched.
Discovering your own personal philosophy will help build your self-belief. Pg42
The Resilient Leader: You are the essence of your reactions, your responses, your recovery, and your reputation. Pg45
Each one of you has experienced a dumb response. Something like, “I’m doing what I’ve been told’ or some reply that’s excuse based rather than taking responsibility based. Pg47
The 9.5 Tragic flaws of leaders:- 1. Being a bully leader 2. Being inaccessible 3. Responding or deciding slowly 4. Reprimanding in public 5. Not keeping promises (or breaking them) 6. Not telling the truth 7. Playing favorites 8. Being in an inconsistent mood 9. Being out of technological touch 9.5 Assigning the wrong task to the wrong person pg60-2
on May 11, 2013
"The little Book" series of Jeffrey Gitomer is fun and inspiration at the same time. And great product design and manufacturing.

YES, we need more leadership in all areas and Jeffrey has the talent to communicate this serious topic with humor and clarity. And leadership can be so easy, teach it your kids - or even better, don't teach it, DO IT and they'll see and understand.

What can I say more? Give yourself a treat and get this little book of leadership. And lead.
I even would give it a 28.5 out of 28.5!
on May 1, 2013
Gitomer had some useful ideas in here that I'll be carrying forward in my leadership journey. At the same time, it felt a bit lopsided, content-wise. One chapter takes up 1/4 of the book, while later chapters last less than 10 pages. Good for a Gitomer fan or someone looking to expand their leadership studies.
on April 21, 2015
I get a certain amount of comfort from sensing what to expect when faced with new or unknown situations. I am comforted each time I read a new Gitomer 'little book' for I know what to expect: a high quality hardcover book with 'fancy' pages filled with detailed and experienced common-sense thoughts and observations clearly focused on the book's title. Once again, he delivered an enjoyable reading experience with many highlighted passages and many head-bobs in agreement.

The book’s opening pages discussed how readers could use the book to self-assess and develop the 12.5 leadership strengths revealed in the book, and also presented a good list of leadership skills to master. The first chapter, "Leadership Insight," Gitomer's first leadership strength, featured an impressive list of 19.5 leadership principles. The remaining chapters focused on and described in detail the remaining 11.5 leadership strengths (each one a type of leadership: mental, resilient, reality, coach, situational, measurement, opportunity, guts, personal, celebration, next-level, and legacy). Each chapter was loaded with insightful and interesting lines and passages, and included actionable tasks and ideas to explore and improve the readers’ leadership approach and execution. The best and most valuable chapters for me were Resilient Leadership (#3), Reality Leadership (#4), and Opportunity Leadership (#8). I also really liked the final chapter's leadership affirmations.

Although very sales-oriented, I found most of the book's leadership-focused points could be applied to leadership in general. In hindsight, I believe a more accurate title would have been "Little Book of Sales Leadership." Despite never having been in or around sales, I was able to use my over three decades of military leadership experiences to extrapolate many useful 'nuggets of leadership wisdom.' For someone in a sales or sales-related field, I believe this book would be a very good primer on leadership, but leadership novices in other non-sales-related fields might find the heavy sales focus too distracting. While not as good as the other Gitomer books I have read, I still thought it had a lot to offer when it comes to thinking about and demonstrating leadership.
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2011
Jeffery has written another fantastic book and surprisingly it's not about sales or is it? As a leader the message has to be sold, and implemented that takes leadership. The book explains key points of how to be a better leader. Just about every line is a gem the problem is most people may not see the book as exciting hype since its written very straight forward. Most people overlook simplicity because they want problems and issues to be difficult so that they have a reason to complain later and some other excuse to fail. This isn't to say that leadership isn't easy to implement its just many people will not have the guts to do what needs to be done.
This isn't the type of book to read in a night it's about taking the time to implement and going through each lesson to figure out a way to make it work for you.
If you own a business or are in any type of management your competitions best hope is that you have weak leadership because just about every internally destructive component that is in a business comes from weak leadership skill. What slows progress down is holding on to bad leaders when they are known to be changed or not deciding to lead.
Overall this is a great book that is easy to read about leadership broken down into small chunks that have the ability to be executed. If you are a fan of Jeffrey you will love this book, if you have never read one of his books you are in for a treat.
on November 17, 2014
This book was an easy read that entertained and informed all at the same time. There is a sense of responsibility that goes along with reading a book so powerfully charged. Jeffrey Gitomer is definitely a leader that knows how to lead and real leaders should follow :)